Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
I noticed that there are quite a few caches in or around cemetarys (sp? ies?) Anyhoo--does everyone ask permission to place a cache in or around a cemetary? Or is it considered public property? Who does one ask permission? Thanks.
I've placed a couple of caches near cemeteries and one "in" a cemetery. As others have said, I try to place these so that a) they're just outside of the cemetery so folks aren't tromping over graves, pawing through bushes next to headstones, etc. b) there is a reason for me bringing you to the cemetery (i.e. history -- Before Lizzie Borden Cache, memorial -- Out of the Ashes Cache or a good view) and c) I try to place it in a hide so that folks aren't tearing up stone wall fences or causing undue damage in their over-zealous search for the cache -- in other words these caches tend to be a bit easier. I don't place a cache near a cemetery just because it's "public space" -- there has to be a compelling reason for me to place a hide there. As public area I have not asked permission, but I do know that some cachers have asked the Town Sexton, Selectmen or Cemetery Board.

Many folks focus on the negatives of cemetery caches -- i.e. the possible destruction of the area, cachers not being sensitive to the survivors as they over-zealously search for the cache, etc. One thing that I feel bears mentioning is that a good cache can also provide some positives -- enlightening folks to the past (i.e. Lynching of Jim Cullen), memorializing a friend or family member (i.e. Moe's Mountain is a classic must-do cache) and reminding us all that our time on earth is finite. For all these reasons I have always enjoyed cemetery caches when they are done in a respectful manner.

Incidentally, you may have noticed that I said that some of my caches are near the cemetery (usually on the border), but one is in a cemetery -- this one exception to my rule brings you to a pair of headstones where you glean information from these headstones to bring you to the final cache which is located a short distance away -- in this case the pair of headstones belongs to a firefighter friend and three children who died in a fire and the final cache resting place is a park on the lot where this fire occurred -- my hope in placing this cache was (and has largely been shown to be true in most cases) that fellow cachers will take the time to remember these four people.