vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cemetary caches

Default cemetary caches

I noticed that there are quite a few caches in or around cemetarys (sp? ies?) Anyhoo--does everyone ask permission to place a cache in or around a cemetary? Or is it considered public property? Who does one ask permission? Thanks.

Wink Cemetaries

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    I noticed that there are quite a few caches in or around cemetarys (sp? ies?) Anyhoo--does everyone ask permission to place a cache in or around a cemetary? Or is it considered public property? Who does one ask permission? Thanks.

I don't think you need to ask permission but it seems to be recommended that you put the caches just outside the cemetary so people aren't tromping over graves. And then state in the write-up that they are OUTSIDE. You have to ask the BRLT for permission to place a cache on their property. There's a cache at Ovens Mouth east side but I don't think there are any on the west side of the preserve, so that might be a good place. Caches have to be only a tenth of a mile apart, as the crow flies, but you probably want more space than that between them. And Kickercane Island, if you can fine a muggle-free spot! Guardrails are good, as long as they aren't too close to private property. One in Kingfield had to be archived because people were running over some ladies yard looking for a guardrail cache..

Does this mean there will be lots of caches to find when I'm in BBH 9/3 to 9/5?
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Haha! I hope that there will be at least 3 more caches for you. I placed one at Knickercane already, I'm waiting to hear about Barrett's Park. There's a cemetary near the golf course that's a very pretty spot, and just today I thought about Oven's Mouth west. I also have permission from BRLT to put on at Zak Preserve, we are just waiting for them to give me the ammo box. (they were very busy this past week with the Boatbuilder's Festival) So you should have plenty to do on your visit!

If you are looking for a cache in a cemetery, just remember the law so I don't have to come visit you

Enters or remains in a cemetery or burial ground at any time between 1/2 hour after sunset and
    1/2 hour before sunrise the following day, unless that person enters or remains during hours in which
    visitors are permitted to enter or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and

operated cemetery, by posting. Violation of this paragraph is a Class E crime.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    I'll admit that a lot of cachers will never ask permission to place a cache anywhere. But most experienced cachers usually consult a Ouija board or conduct a seance before placing caches in cemeteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint367 View Post
    If you are looking for a cache in a cemetery, just remember the law so I don't have to come visit you

Enters or remains in a cemetery or burial ground at any time between 1/2 hour after sunset and
    1/2 hour before sunrise the following day, unless that person enters or remains during hours in which
    visitors are permitted to enter or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and

So in other words, if you catch us, we just say we came in during normal hours?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Talking Look again Brdad

You missed that part Dave
    Happy Trails!

I was going to point out the State Law regarding cemeteries. Thank you Saint367.

Most cemeteries have a Sexton or a person who cares for the cemetery, governs burials and the like - that would be a starting place to ask. Some cemeteries have Boards of Directors, some are run by towns and some are private.......if you are unsure who to contact a local funeral director could probably assist.

There are also some very old, seemingly abandoned cemeteries in many places. If there is a veteran buried there other regulations apply so there may be others to ask such as the local VFW.

Personally, I like a cache which brings me to a cemetery. Placed so - cachers leave no trace. There is a lot of history and art in a cemetery and I perhaps would have never visited without knowing the location through Geocaching. The Old German cemetery comes immediately to mind.

At all times when pursuing cemetery caches one should exhibit respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    You missed that part Dave
    Maybe you missed the UNLESS clause?

visitors are permitted to enter
    or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and

Just more proof rules/laws are overwritten to the point where they can be misinterpreted. Why can't they just say "Stay away after dark or prepare to be shot"?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Wink if...and...but...unless!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Maybe you missed the UNLESS clause?

Just more proof rules/laws are overwritten to the point where they can be misinterpreted. Why can't they just say "Stay away after dark or prepare to be shot"?
    Oh you guys are too funny!! ...and right; try reading your town's Shoreland Zoning Ordinance! haha My job can be a hoot when I sit back and look from afar!

Sorry to get off topic, so here's a sentence about cemetary caches: Do a search here for topics with the word cemetary; we've had many, many threads devoted to them. There's even a poll thread! Hiram and I love cemetary caches, and I think the only caches I'd have a problem with are ones hidden right at a tomb stone, tempting cachers to disturb the grave, but we've done come cool ones where the cache was at a memorial in the cemetary or in a stump, so banning them from within the cemetary would catch some caches that really aren't harming anything.

I agree with Hollora about always trying to make contact with a steward of any place if a landowner is not obvious.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods