vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Storage???

Sheesh! I can remember when a 20MB hard drive for my Commodore 64 was just a dream! LOL!

d’76 Guest

does anyone know why I can only move a few files at a time before it tells me that the disk might be full or write protected or in use at this time. None of those things are true. When I go to delete them off the new harddrive it wont let me I get the same message. I restart the hard drive and I can delete them and send those file it wouldnt let me before. I may be sending this one back to Best buy and try another one to see if it is defective. I have checked all the settings. There aint very many places to go in the hard drive and poke around. It seems to straight forward for any setting to be off. Any help would be great.

I've had this problem a few times while copying folders. Windows sometimes has some hidden, read-only files in there. Also, I have had some files I have copied off from CD be registered as read-only. This seems to be worse when trying to move the files, instead of copying.

You might try right clicking on a folder, and selecting properties. if the read only box has a gray check mark, some of the files are read-only. If you click it it will take care of the read-only problem.

Hope the fix is that easy...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

d’76 Guest

Is this a common problem or do you think this drive is defective?

I would doubt that the drive is to blame for the error you are getting. As I said, I have gotten this error many times while copying/moving files.

One of the reviews states this drive does not support files larger than 1.9 GB without being specially formatted, but unless you have a large backup file that should not be your issue.

Sometimes it helps, if you know what group of files are bothering, to keep narrowing the list down to determine what file is the problem. Or does the error message state which file was the problem?

I suppose there could be an issue with the file name as well, if we knew which file(s) were bothering.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

d’76 Guest

I am unclear why I would have to reset or restart the hard drive to get it to take more files This seems like a pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I am unclear why I would have to reset or restart the hard drive to get it to take more files This seems like a pain in the ass
    Well, that part seems odd. Not much online for answers either from what I can see...
    Last edited by brdad; 08-10-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

d’76 Guest

Ok.....

I returned the world book and got another one. I came home plugged it in and didnt even install the software. It came up as a networked drive and I opened my photos and selected all and moved them in one shot. It was a little over 5 gig and it took about 15 minutes. I am doing the laptop right now. Its doing the moved wirelessly and its taken about 25 minutes to move a little over 5 gig. No rights problems or anything.

Best buy was trying to sell there for 319 dollars while circuit city was selling theres for 229 dollars so with tax it was 241 dollars, best buy price matched and I got it there. Compared to buying an external hard drive that was usb and 500 gig for 180 dollars I would say this worked out quite well.

I agree that the ratings seem a bit low but for what I am doing with it I think it will be fine. I wish I would have returned it when I suspected something was wrong with it instead of trying to make it work. It would have saved me lots of hours of flustration. LOL Thanks for all your help Dave.

So it sounds like the installation software might have been a factor? I know a few of the posts mentioned that. Glad it's working anyway!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    So it sounds like the installation software might have been a factor? I know a few of the posts mentioned that. Glad it's working anyway!

Yesterday I uninstalled all the software and started with a clean slate and it still didnt work. I am beginning to think it was just defective. The software that came with it was for accessing it from a remote computer.