vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi all

I wish these posts were the two days ago and not today. My company put me up at the Navigator Inn in Rockland yesterday and I had to ferry over to Vinalhaven this morning. After loading up 103 television sets and hundreds of paint cans at the transfer station to take off island, I had time to do some caches if I had the coordinates for them. These fancy downloadable GPS's that everyone keeps trying to get me to use sure would have come in handy. I just don't have enough paper to keep a list in every town I might ever go to.

After loading up 103 television sets and hundreds of paint cans at the transfer station to take off island, I had time to do some caches if I had the coordinates for them. These fancy downloadable GPS's that everyone keeps trying to get me to use sure would have come in handy. I just don't have enough paper to keep a list in every town I might ever go to.
    I got a real good deal on an old laptop (free) that the owner could not even give to a local charity because the processor was too slow. Well it runs GSAK ok and I keep it updated with the caches for Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and eastern New York. With the GPS cable I can load caches anytime I want. No paper.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    ........... Vinalhaven this morning. After loading up 103 television sets and hundreds of paint cans at the transfer station to take off island, I had time to do some caches if I had the coordinates for them. These fancy downloadable GPS's that everyone keeps trying to get me to use sure would have come in handy. I just don't have enough paper to keep a list in every town I might ever go to.
    That transfer station is unbelievable! I went there when I went to the island last year. Some great stuff in their trade and swap shack.

Anyway - keep working on the GC.com site or just post here - where you are going and perhaps we can help you. I have a downloadable GPSr and couldn't even load stuff this weekend (ask Mainaic1957 - drivers and operator error ) I am able to look at the maps through google maps and I just zoom out so I can see more.

Don't give up DKF - you now have a good job and good fortune should be forthcoming.

The Vinalhaven caches will be there for a while and there will always be HazMat stuff to pick up.

Default Camden Area Caches

[quote=rovers3;45246]I've been a lurker on your site for a few months Any suggestions on "must do" caches in the area, preferably those in interesting or scenic locals or good hiking, would be greatly appreciated.

Don't miss: Beech Hill; Patty's Mount Battie (if it hasn't been muggled again); Gravity Outlaw; Knight's Pond Cache; American Chestnut; On the Rocks; Going To the Chapel; Breakwater Lighthouse; Snow Cache; Green Glass... and many others. Eat at Peter Ott's Tavern in Camden, great food!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

AND,
    AS ALWAYS .....
    .....Beautiful Canaan in Central Maine. Stop by on your way to the events. There are 11 caches within 6 miles of each other. Four are in Lake George Park area!!!
    Opalsns ans BubbaBass

Want to thank all that replied to my post. Now have a few plans on caches to visit.
    We will be leaving this Thursday morning to arrive in Rockland Friday. Hope to see some of you on the trails.
    BTW what is the situation with ticks in the area this time of year?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rovers3 View Post
    Want to thank all that replied to my post. Now have a few plans on caches to visit.
    We will be leaving this Thursday morning to arrive in Rockland Friday. Hope to see some of you on the trails.
    BTW what is the situation with ticks in the area this time of year?
    Always be on the look out for those little darlings. They see to be more popular in southern maine but I picked one up in the Bangor city forest a month or so ago.

Well we are here and sorry we missed the two events on Saturday but with the threatening weather we decided to pass.
    Went for a long hike in the Mount Battie area yesterday, about 5 hours and I found that I'm not in as good shape as I thought esp on the steep hills. Hiked from the hikers parking lot at the park entrance to Patty's Mount Battie and then on to At the edge of Life at Maiden's Cliff picking up Juliebugs Cache along the way. Great hiking with some great views. Had the dog with me but didn't keep her on leash most of the way because that is just too dangerous on the rocky and rooty trail. rovers3

Just out of curiosity, where did you end up camping?

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did you end up camping?
    Not sure about the posters who didn't come to the event(s) due to weather but 10 brave souls in 8 tents were at my house for the Apres event overnight. 44 people overall came for the late afernoon and early evening enjoying food, drinks, a fire, cache talk, trackable discovery, swapping out some cache containers and just enjoying the back yard. Of those who stayed over, 3 of them went in the rain to do a Night Cache at the Geozoo. A tableful of them stayed up until after 12MN playing Yatzee. 2 retreated to their local home in the middle of the night because of a major tent leak. 1 rereated to their car. 8 folks enjoyed breakfast served promptly as promised at 7AM and a couple of others came back to join them. We looked at one collapsed EzEUp but marveled that 2 survived (thanks to the efforts of those playing Yatzee and staying over), looked at the rain gauge to find out 2 1/2" of rain had fallen and just enjoyed a damp morning.

Thank you one and all - by Monday at supper time - you would never have known anything happened at my house over the weekend. A testimony to the respect we all have for one another!

This was a test of fortitude in cache/camping - that's for sure!