vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all

Default Hi all

I've been a lurker on your site for a few months now and thought it was time to say hi. So, "Hi from north of the border."
    We will be in Rockland Maine for about 1 week Sept 6-13 of this year and the dog and I intend to do some caching while my wife takes a watercolour course.
    Any suggestions on "must do" caches in the area, preferably those in interesting or scenic locals or good hiking, would be greatly appreciated.
    If anyone wants to hook up with me during that time I would be happy to drive, not sure of distance but up to 100mi seems reasonable.
    Look forward to hearing from any of you and to our visit.

Great site
    rovers3

Welcome to the site and I hope some of my Maine friends will chime in with some great caches for you to visit and even someone to tag along with you to show you some of our beautiful state.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Welcome, and remind again closer to your vacation. My wife has had the same schedule for 32 years and I still can't remember what she works next week.

Default I have a suggestion

There are 2 events on the sixth.

The Last Cache Bashe of Summer 2008 (GC1DK74) by mainiac1957 (1/1)
    Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2008 (GC1DP5Y) by hollora (1/1.5)
    These are about an hour ride north of Rockland. I am hosting the first one. It's always nice to have some visitors from away join us.
    Happy Trails!

Lightbulb Camden State Park

Camden is near Rockland, and it's got lots of fun finds. A hike up Mt Battie will get you a cache and some interesting history and of course gorgeous views! Do a search for caches near Camden, Maine. Enjoy your visit!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    There are 2 events on the sixth.

The Last Cache Bashe of Summer 2008 (GC1DK74) by mainiac1957 (1/1)
    Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2008 (GC1DP5Y) by hollora (1/1.5)
    These are about an hour ride north of Rockland. I am hosting the first one. It's always nice to have some visitors from away join us.
    And I am hosting the second one.....ditto on having visitors. Coming up you could do some caches in Frankfort up to Hampden and then loop down the other side of the Penobscot River (Brewer to Orrington) and back across the Penobscot Narrows bridge to return.

I would suggest Going to the Chapel GCWMXP in Camden for a beautiful garden. Almost all of the hills in and around Camden Hills State Park have caches on them and are good hikes. Merry Spring Cache GCJD3Q has a nice garden and trail system.

Having done it today, I would recommend CDJD3Z Beech Hill Cache. A nice little hike that rewards you with outstanding views and an unusual fieldstone building at the top. Be sure to bring your camera. As is often said, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Default Enjoy the trip to Rockland

Please keep in touch if you need more help with Rockland as it is my hometown. I hope you get to do my cache at the Breakwater Lighthouse Gc1A030 while you are in town. It is about a mile walk out to the lighthouse and a great way to see the sights of the harbor here. Pattys Mount Battie is a great trip, but check on the status of the cache. It has recently been replaced but the last cacher did not locate it. A hike to Maiden's Cliff is also a good trip and not a long hike. GCWX3K. I am sure your wife is aware of the Wyeth Center and the downtown area is a wealth of galleries now. There is a nice boardwalk area as well at the harbor, and a cache there. Hope you get to enjoy some of our great lobster and seafood while you are in the area! Its not all about the numbers, (good food is important), , but there are some great cache sites you won't want to miss. Marshall Point lighthouse is another area you might enjoy. That area was in the Forrest Gump movie.

Default take the ferry.....

Out to one of the islands, Vinalhaven. It's a beautiful ride out and a wonderful island to explore. Leaves right from Rockland harbor.

Vinalhaven - Carver's Harbor by Gob-ler (1.5/1.5)

and a few others on the island too.

We just returned from a trip to Canada and a few Toronto caches.

Which side of the Fence? by hubcap33 (2/2)

Remembrance in York Cemetery by Fort S (2/1.5)

A beautiful place.

And welcome to the site.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.