vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Which would you choose for the newsletter?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • As Is

9 75.00%
  • Sound the Stories: emphasis on features

2 16.67%
  • Elevate the Events: increase number of events listed

0 0%
  • Mark the Media: emphsis on media coverage

0 0%
  • Heavy on Hot Topics: increase number of hot topics listed

1 8.33%
  • Other: please indicate by posting a reply or sending PM

0 0%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Newsletter Contents

Probably a double "cricket"

A house is not a home without a cat.

Default Double Entree

My fault, I had spelled the heading wrong, tried to edit, could not so I though I had deleted the whole thing and replaced it with a new version. Still not sure how to delete the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I note that Dubord's comment was posted twice. This happened to me yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit "submit" twice. Is there a bug in the system somewhere?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

dubord207, are you willing to take on the task to check everyone's numbers weekly to recognize the milestones? Are you willing to check with all those passing milestones and ask if they want to be recognized?

Do you or anyone else know what Mainers passed 100 caches this week? 500? 1000? I'm fine with recognition if that's what you want, but once again, I am not sure how you expect the task to be completed in a fair manner.

Show me how we can recognize all Mainers passing milestones wanting to be recognized without leaving anyone out and I'll do what I can to help.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I passed 1000 finally a few weeks ago and wasn't mentioned in here, or I missed it. A local cacher and friend from down here ,Dr Who, did mention that he was looking for some congrats from all my friends back home to put into a special gold ammo box that I was presented at an event in my honor a few weeks ago. I wanted to thank everyone too if you did congratulate me. I just haven't been caching much of late with work and all and of course the heat. Will be caching and getting out more when the weather cools off though so watch out!!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Talking Celebrate 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    My event that I run in January to to celebrate the past year in geocaching. A couple of us have thrown around the idea of posting and mentioning milestones. I am just always afraid to leave someone out.
    The last event, I remember a big milestone mural that we used, everyone was responsible for putting up their own milestones, and milestone was defined very loosely, we had all kinds of things up there, not just numbers! I think we should do that again next January, if you host another event...
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Default Milestones

I have not suggested that any one of us be responsible for actually keeping track of milestones. My entire point is that if somebody posts a milestone for another cacher, or even for themself for that matter, that the members that read this stuff offer a quick congrats. As I indicated in a prior post, what is a milestone to one person may just be an average day of caching for some. The point it, if somebody posts it why not acknowledge the post? Positive response vs. no response. There are plenty of folks on this site who post to every topic EXCEPT milestones. I see no downside in congratulating fellow cachers for a job well done and to me it makes no difference whether I personally know the cacher.

So my question to brdad, if I go out and log 100 caches tomorrow and somebody posts this as a milestone (and I won't post stuff I do), would you offer a "well done Dan?" And if a new cacher receives a milestone post for a FTF cache,wouldn't a quick congrats be appreciated by the new cacher?

That should make my point about all this clear, hopefully. Thanks for the thought you folks have put in to this. I'll move on to a different topic.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Thumbs down milestones

Dubord and all, here's what I've already explained:

Milestones: When someone mentioned a milestone in a thread, I used to include it in the Newsletter. Then it appeared that we were choosing whose milestones to include in the Newsletter and excluding cachers; despite my arguement that we could just post how it was, we decided the simplest solution was to take out the Milestone section all together, because I nor the Board were interested in tracking ALL milestones. Which in the end was great with me because it made more room for other sections of the newsletter.

The only way to not appear that we are excluding cachers or ignoring their milestones is to track everyone's numbers, or other milestones, to make sure everyone's is mentioned. So forget it! If we can't be adult enough to not hold grudges against people for not noticing milestones and then hold grudges against me for not having it in the newsletter, I'm not going to try. Find a solution to that and I'll re-consider.

In the meantime, the milestones forum thread still exists, so use it if you like to!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So my question to brdad, if I go out and log 100 caches tomorrow and somebody posts this as a milestone (and I won't post stuff I do), would you offer a "well done Dan?" And if a new cacher receives a milestone post for a FTF cache,wouldn't a quick congrats be appreciated by the new cacher?

That should make my point about all this clear, hopefully. Thanks for the thought you folks have put in to this. I'll move on to a different topic.
    Ah, sorry. I misinterpreted what I read. Your point is valid. But as someone who rarely reads or posts to the milestone threads, I am not sure what my answer is. But I know if I could only recognize one I'd rather recognize someone for posting an interesting article or helpful tutorial than I would for milestones.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Wow! I go out kayaking this afternoon, come home turn on the computer, and there are twenty some new post since the last time I checked the site. Said to myself something must be going on, and was it ever. Nice thing about this discussion to me at least was the tone of our members. Everyone who commented, did so in a manner of trying to understand, rather then criticize. This to me is what a group like ours is suppose to be, helpful not critical.

I think I had just done my 30th cache when I first join this group. Every afternoon after work I would look forward to reading the days posts. After maybe a week of just lurking in the shadows, I finally commented on a thread. I remember the first couple of people who made me feel welcome were Haffy and WhereRWe. I remember how much help they were to a newbie. I continue to see that same type of help offered to anyone who ask. I read all of the post on this site, starting with the most interesting to me, and then the rest . If there is some question I feel qualified to answer, and it hasn't been answered already by the more knowledgable of our group, Ill contribute my two sense worth.

The greatest thing about this site to me is the freedom it allows it's members to be who they want to be. Join in, don't join in, lurk in the shadows, pick on Hiram, or once in a while use it to do something good for the world. As was the case with The Relay for Life event posted here by EMS Daniel.

Some of my closest friends today I met on this site, they have shared some wonderful moments with me in the past couple of years. We became friends by reading posts and articles that each had posted here, giving an insight into each others charactor. I continually pick on Hiram and FFJ, but they are in reality two of the nicest young people I've ever met. I would have never have gotten to know them the way I do without this site.

Talking Sorry for the off topic comment, I just can't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    I continually pick on Hiram and FFJ, but they are in reality two of the nicest young people I've ever met. I would have never have gotten to know them the way I do without this site.

Vic, Vic, Vic How many times do I have to remind you. That rumor we don't spread.
    Happy Trails!