vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calais Advertiser

I have to agree both parts where well hidden and would be hard to find accidentally. In order for some one to find both parts they would need to know where to look for them. I have yet to decide if I am going to reactivate this cache.

I agree with some of this and disagree with some. I will use "stealth" whenever necessary and did so just tonight in downtown Bangor by the library. By that I mean I waited for someone to leave the immediate area before I reached for the cache. I also waited for passers by to pass on by before I grabbed the cache right out in the open. To do otherwise is to greatly increase the chances of that cache turning up missing...and do NOT blame the owner for that. When looking in the woods or along a trail and someone asks what I am looking for I'll tell them that I work for a survey company and I'm looking for a boundary stake, etc. which always seems to work. However, I DO agree that when observed (caught) by others it is always best just to come right out and tell them about geocaching. They are often intrigued by that and may even take up the sport themselves. In summary, I believe strongly that it's my duty during my search to not call attention to everyone that there is a cache there and, if I am observed, do what I can to educate them to what geocaching is and what fun it can be. Re: SWAT Teams and bomb squads. Most of my caches are labeled on the outside in some fashion. My film canisters have the green stickers on the outside, unless they are like the piano key or playing card series. Even most of my animal caches say "Geocache" on the outside somewhere. It's the right thing to do.

I agree with EMSDanel. We handle caching the same way.... using stealth often times preserves the cache, but sometimes we need to talk about what we're doing. The situation determines the action. Labeling is a quick and easy fix it seems, but as Catmando pointed out to me as we were discussing this, anyone can slap a geocaching sticker on something. We can only do the best we can, labeling the caches and letting our local LEOs know.

We're still watching our caches around here pretty closely.... some containers that shouldn't be wet on the inside have somehow turned up soaked, and travel bugs are going missing as well as entire caches. It's discouraging, but we'll keep plugging away.

Am sorry to hear about the troubles "DownEast". Wet caches when they have no reason and missing TBs does cast suspicion.

Had to laugh at my hubby - who doesn't understand the sport totally. He said, "well, if they are being muggled - let's just get some sneak thief powder and doctor one of them up". That would work fine for the muggle but what about the "REAL" cacher. I just had to laugh - poor dear was trying to help.

Remember - what goes around - comes around. Just be patient. Hubby's other rule is a good one - "give the perp enough rope and they will eventually hang themselves". That is tried and true - so my friends - keep stringing the rope!