vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calais Advertiser

Default Calais Advertiser

So sorry Pink Butterfly Lady. I cound not believe it when I read the article about the bomb squad blowing up your micro. Some thoughts on that, it was well hidden. It sound like someone didn't put it back right or someone purposely left it out in the open (sitting on the ledge of the sign). It did not have any wires on it like printed in the newspaper. It wasn't marked on the outside but that would give it away if it were. There was a paper on the inside stating it was a geocache. The article upset me because it made it out to seem like geocachers are irresponsible. The article stated that an on looker watched the whole thing go down, knew what it was, & didn't say anything! I also think it's possible that our caches around here are being sabotaged. My mirco like PBL's was well hidden (you had to reach to find it) was muggled. Border Jumper's multi was muggled - both parts! Now this cache. What's going on here? We should all keep good watch on the rest of our caches here. Davidson 7 is thinking about writing a letter to the editor about this whole thing. What are other peoples thoughts? How do you feel, Pink Butterfly Lady? Hey, you got your name in the paper at least!
    Mipster

Can we get a link to the article or a copy? This is not the first cache which has been decommisioned by a bomb squad or swat team. My local law enforcement knows the location of local caches.

Unfortunately the Calais Advertiser has not completely joined us in this era of posting most of their articles online. If you go to their site you'll find a joyful picture of Canadian and US Customs shaking hands, but nothing on this event at all. I'm not happy with the entire tone of the article. There is a line in the article that quotes Sgt. Greg MacAvoy of RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) as saying, "...I think the message we need to get out to geocachers is that they should make certain what they leave behind is readily identifiable for what it is, a geocache, and not something else or a bomb." To me, that paints geocachers as being irresponsible. I think the message that we need to get out to Sgt MacAvoy is that most of the time people follow the guidelines from Geocaching.com and caches are labeled.

Also, I agree with Mipster on the curious nature of the "find" and report to authorities. When I found this cache it was very well hidden, and difficult to spot. It could have been put back improperly, but with the disappearance of some of our area caches lately I do wonder. Border Jumper's multi disappeared.... it's difficult to muggle a multi without coords. I wish I knew the circumstances surrounding the "find" and the report!

As a cache owner, you are responsible. Especially with urban caches, it's easy for a cache to be confused with something else. And, with all the possibilities of someone watching, someone finding the cache could be perceived as suspicious.

One of the most responsible things an urban hider could do is inform the local law enforcement about Geocaching. It could be to everyone's advantage to know where these caches are.

I've also come to the opinion that one of the most irresponsible things a cache finder can do is be stealthy. IMO it attracts more attention than just going after it, and explaining to anyone that catches you doing so what caching is. This is not an underground activity; it is not illegal. So why do we try and be so secrative? When a cache in is view of businesses and homes, you have no way of knowing who is watching, so there is always risk there.

You cannot blame anyone but the cache hider when things like this happen. I'm not saying that this or other caches were not placed with reasonable care and safety in mind. But it belongs to the cache owner, and you can be held accountable in these situations.

As far as caches being muggled, that is an unfortunate aspect of the game.

From the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types
    For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory "stash note" inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Augusta Caches

I don't know that details about this cache that caused some problems, but I have just recently let the City of Augusta know about my caches. Yep, I want them to be aware of what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    As a cache owner, you are responsible. Especially with urban caches, it's easy for a cache to be confused with something else. And, with all the possibilities of someone watching, someone finding the cache could be perceived as suspicious.

One of the most responsible things an urban hider could do is inform the local law enforcement about Geocaching. It could be to everyone's advantage to know where these caches are.

I've also come to the opinion that one of the most irresponsible things a cache finder can do is be stealthy. IMO it attracts more attention than just going after it, and explaining to anyone that catches you doing so what caching is. This is not an underground activity; it is not illegal. So why do we try and be so secrative? When a cache in is view of businesses and homes, you have no way of knowing who is watching, so there is always risk there.

You cannot blame anyone but the cache hider when things like this happen. I'm not saying that this or other caches were not placed with reasonable care and safety in mind. But it belongs to the cache owner, and you can be held accountable in these situations.

As far as caches being muggled, that is an unfortunate aspect of the game.

From the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines
    Agreed and agreed . . . I have personally spoke with a member of the Bangor PD Bomb Squad about geocaches and their placement and he wasn't too worried about them . . . and as Dave said . . . while I used to be quite sneaky around caches and folks now I often will just go about my business and find them . . . if folks ask questions I'll tell them what I'm doing -- as he said, we're not doing anything illegal and sometimes being sneaky just calls even more undue attention to ourselves.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Thumbs up I agree too

Well said brdad.

One thing I find very upsetting is the comment in a writeup "Be Stealthy, high muggle area". The hider is the one responsible if the cache disppears, you have to expect it if you place a cache in a "high muggle area".

I also think that the comment leads new cachers to believe that they should "be stealthy". The best thing is to "blatently go look for it and explain the game to those who ask".

A house is not a home without a cat.

Wink Nija style

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Agreed and agreed . . . I have personally spoke with a member of the Bangor PD Bomb Squad about geocaches and their placement and he wasn't too worried about them . . . and as Dave said . . . while I used to be quite sneaky around caches and folks now I often will just go about my business and find them . . . if folks ask questions I'll tell them what I'm doing -- as he said, we're not doing anything illegal and sometimes being sneaky just calls even more undue attention to ourselves.
    Although, no one from Home Depot seemed concerned during Hiram's stealth stunt...tehehee
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

MSP, of which my husband is a retiree, is aware of Geocaching. But they are not aware of specific locations - and given a complaint - things may happen.

Nothing counts when things can not be identified. A cache was found, I think last year, in a Northbound I-95 rest area. After it was destroyed by the Swat Team - guess who got a cell phone call........."Hollora, did you have a Geocache..........?" It was my user ID, which the Sgt. knew and it was still readable on the shredded log.

We talked about the location and the cache history. They had gotten a call for a suspicious item. It may well have been the persons who were messing with the cache anyway who made the call. Regardless, the SP did what they should have not knowing what the item really was - the cache owners seemed to understand.

We all need to take responsibility for what we place. We all need to remember too, if there is a cost to irradicate our placement - there may be a cost to us personally if the town/agency/state/etc. choses to recover their costs.

JMHO
    Last edited by hollora; 08-12-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors and sentence structure

Default bomb Squad

Having found the cache in St. Stephen, I can't believe they even considered it may be a Bomb. Working in law enforcement as a Corrections Officer and a Dispatcher, I know Calais PD is well aware of what a Geo cache is and would not mistake a Micro (film canister) for a bomb. All I can say is the RCMP overreacted on this and wasted a lot of tax payers money. The only solution I can see is as Geocachers we are going to have to educate he local constabulary about Geocaches. To prevent another episode with the Bomb Squad.