vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Attend? ~ or ~ Why Do You Not Attend?

Thanks everyone for your candid responses. That is exactly what I wanted. Keep them coming and thanks for being part of this community.

d’76 Guest

Sometimes we are just to busy.

As I have been working as many as 3 jobs in a day, come the weekend I just want to rest and not do much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    I'm kinda new so I haven't had a chance to attend any events yet. What I would consider attending at this point is a short meet and greet. Like Gob-ler said, I would feel really weird showing up at a longer, all day event not knowing anyone. Could make for a very uncomfortable afternoon.
    I would think being uncomfortable at an all day caching event would be rare. In 2003 I attended the second event Maine had, didn't know a single person there, except for conversing with a few of those in the national chat including my future wife. Many of the people there had not met any other cachers before either. Yet we were all greeted by the same friendliness that exists in all the events I have attended regardless of duration.

Lee and I attended an event in NH spur of the moment on our way home last year and was accepted with open arms there as well. We had heard a few of their names, and a few of them had heard ours, but none of us had ever met. We could not stay long and it was raining, but we had a great time just the same.

One thing you have to remember with events is you do not have to attend an all day or weekend event for the entire time, unless there were some requirement saying so on the event description. I have seen people drop by for half an hour just to say hi, share a story or two and say sorry they couldn't stay longer. Don't be afraid to drop into an event after it's scheduled start, either. If you go to an event and feel uncomfortable you can always leave. Don't let that stop you from attending!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    One thing you have to remember with events is you do not have to attend an all day or weekend event for the entire time, unless there were some requirement saying so on the event description. I have seen people drop by for half an hour just to say hi, share a story or two and say sorry they couldn't stay longer. Don't be afraid to drop into an event after it's scheduled start, either. If you go to an event and feel uncomfortable you can always leave. Don't let that stop you from attending!
    That is such a valid point Dave. Thank you for adding that. I myself will go to an event and stay for the whole thing. That's just me. If you come and just poke your head in you might just be surprised who you might meet, and end up hanging out for awhile. There is always someone around to answer a question or offer a technique on caching or whatever. Come to one and you'll be amazed at the diversity of people there.

Now for a shameless plug... My after Labor Day event The Last Cache Bashe of Summer 2008 (GC1DK74) by mainiac1957 (1/1) is coming up in 3 weeks. This is my fifth year doing this event and I never get tired of meeting new cachers. Once again you get a twofer weekend since Hollora is having her event later in the day Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2008 (GC1DP5Y) by hollora (1/1.5) This way the gas isn't just for one event. There are tons of new caches in the Bangor area. Many new places to see and explore. If you've not been to a Cache Bashe then it's time you checked it out. I hope to have a good turnout again this year. And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Happy Trails!

Red face Hard to do anything for the first time!

Speaking for myself, someone who usually just lurks and reads posts, the events look a little intimidating. You all seem to have a good rapport on here and know one another and the idea of walking into say the meet and greet that was 2 seconds down the road form me at BK a while back is a little unnerving. Also, probably my own fault for not asking, but I have no idea really about what goes on at the events.
    As someone else mentioned, time is also an issue, during the school year I work 12 hour days and all other time is deemed precious, the other half of Team U.S.Eh? works strange hours, so time we can get together is usually spent chillin or doing things that have to get done. It would be hard to commit a whole or half day to anything!
    Doreen

I don't do events.

. . . with the exception of the ORCA's Tread Lightly events . . . and that's just because Hiram promises not to make too much fun of me and my Magellan.

Well, this isn't quite true . . . I did do a two-fer -- Flash Mob and Brad's B-Day Party Wing Ding Doodle Events in Bangor . . . but that was a "gift" for Maniac.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

We've been to many events in Maine, several in New Hampshire, and mega-events in North Carolina and Quebec. We've never been disappointed. We've always been made welcome and have a great time.

We travel a lot and always do a PQ of upcoming events in the area we're heading to. Event hosts are usually very happy to have visitors 'from away" attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Team U.S.Eh? View Post
    Speaking for myself, someone who usually just lurks and reads posts, the events look a little intimidating. You all seem to have a good rapport on here and know one another and the idea of walking into say the meet and greet that was 2 seconds down the road form me at BK a while back is a little unnerving. Also, probably my own fault for not asking, but I have no idea really about what goes on at the events.
    As someone else mentioned, time is also an issue, during the school year I work 12 hour days and all other time is deemed precious, the other half of Team U.S.Eh? works strange hours, so time we can get together is usually spent chillin or doing things that have to get done. It would be hard to commit a whole or half day to anything!
    Doreen
    How about we plan a pathtag event...wouldn't that be a blast? I bet you would come if you didn't have something else on the calendar! We could pick a spot in the middle....get together and drool over each others tags! (Speaking of which, I LOVE your tag!) Cachers who don't have tags (yet) can come see what all the fuss is about.

Off topic...he he he...but creatively off topic, so that is okay right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    How about we plan a pathtag event...wouldn't that be a blast? I bet you would come if you didn't have something else on the calendar! We could pick a spot in the middle....get together and drool over each others tags! (Speaking of which, I LOVE your tag!) Cachers who don't have tags (yet) can come see what all the fuss is about.

Off topic...he he he...but creatively off topic, so that is okay right?
    I like that tag too
    Now we just have to figure out out a spot in the middle...in the middle of what? This is why we go to events meet people look at coins and tags and eat.

Yes, the Team's pathtag is very cool. And a pathtag event would be fun - I already have an feeling there may be someone interested in doing one in Maine (other than the operatives who have posted here). Maybe they will - maybe they won't but it would be cool for us all to enjoy.