vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Attend? ~ or ~ Why Do You Not Attend?

Default I had to choose....

There are 2 events coming up on the 13th of September, and I had to choose between the two. One of them is about 4+ hours north of me. Even though this is the event I would rather attend, it is just too far. The other is only 1.5 hours south and that's where I will be heading. See how hard this is sometimes? It came down to mileage, and just that. I'd rather be out in the Maine woods but will settle for the NH woods instead. Good luck with the event and I'll miss not being able to attend.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Congrats Tat and Dave and Lee and well just about anyone else planning on getting married . . . and of course congrats to Dubord . . . speaking of whom . . . has anyone seen or heard from him lately . . . he's been awfully quiet of late . . . I mean quiet for a lawyer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hey, What happens in Montana, stays in Montana! And that's all I have to say about that!
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Hey, What happens in Montana, stays in Montana! And that's all I have to say about that!
    Sheesh! What happened in Montana? I didn't see anything on Drudge...

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    There are 2 events coming up on the 13th of September, and I had to choose between the two. One of them is about 4+ hours north of me. Even though this is the event I would rather attend, it is just too far.
    Seems to me I heard about a new challenge to see who can attend the most geocaching events in one day...

We have been to 2 Meet-n-Greets so far. Location/distance can be a factor. My son and I are the geocachers in our family, the girls aren't interested in caching at all. They have been very good about us running off to find a cache. I'm not the social type and tend to be very uncomfortable around crowds. Probably why I like this sport, it avoids large groups of people. Out of the types of events you would likely see me attend will be the short meet-n-greet type. Joey likes pirates so we may also attend the next Maine Pirate Quest. I don't see large or mega events in our future, though I would love to discover all the coins.

Quote Originally Posted by cachecrashers4 View Post
    We have been to 2 Meet-n-Greets so far. Location/distance can be a factor. My son and I are the geocachers in our family, the girls aren't interested in caching at all. They have been very good about us running off to find a cache. I'm not the social type and tend to be very uncomfortable around crowds. Probably why I like this sport, it avoids large groups of people. Out of the types of events you would likely see me attend will be the short meet-n-greet type. Joey likes pirates so we may also attend the next Maine Pirate Quest. I don't see large or mega events in our future, though I would love to discover all the coins.
    Hey you sound like me . . . well everything but the part about having a son and daughters.

I'm not much of a social butterfly either . . . I think of myself more like a lunar moth . . . a big, fat, gawmy lunar moth attracted to the bright light of a shiny, new geocache . . . but I digress.

I'm with you . . . I started out enjoying geocaching solo . . . and still enjoy making a day of it (haven't had much time lately though with so much going on at work and at home), but I have also made and met new friends here at the site and now I occasionally get together with them for some caching days out . . . and I have even done a few events . . . albeit they were low turnout events and you could pretty much do your own thing, stay as long as you wanted and leave whenever you wanted to go do some solo caching.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Events

I'd love to go to events. However, with the price of gas we can't run all over the state, at least not frequently. So I'd rather spend my money to just go somewhere caching. We did go to Bruce's event because it was winter and I needed to at least talk caching with somebody! The first year I didn't go because I didn't know anybody. Then I got "online friends" and I felt better about it. And I had a great time. Wanted to go to Pirate Quest but husband had a conflict in the schedule. We've agreed next year to go for part of the day and get home in time for his happening. I'd love to go to the events in early September but can't because that's always a bad time for us. Husband's mother's 100th birthday party this year, disabled daughter has company coming that we have to entertain etc. Wanted to go to the muffin event in Augusta but it's a two hour drive and started early.

So I guess my answer is: I'd go to more if the drive wasn't so long, if there were no conflicts with our schedules, if I could cache more when I'm there. A combination of meet and greet, some convsersation, caching and a bit of good food.

That said, I don't have much "entertainment" planned for the Eustis event. I figure people will chat, go caching, come back to check out the TBs, go caching, eat, get door prizes, go to the campground for a campfire and homebrew or whatever. Does that work??

AND I had a great time at the gathering in Orrington that wasn't an event but was really fun. Thanks Dan, for putting that together and thanks to all who came! You were all great!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

I only get to a few events in Maine because they need to be coincide with a time that I am going up to visit the family. Usually it is an 8 hour drive but I try to cache along the way.

I really like talking to the Maine cachers to see what they are up to. All I have met have been really great. I especially liked the WWWWWW events because they have given me a chance to do get out and cache with a group after eating at Big G's.

I wish I could manage to attend more of your events, especially thos that are held in the summer.

All in all I would say that you are really great people who enjoy something that I enjoy too, caching.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    I especially liked the WWWWWW events because they have given me a chance to do get out and cache with a group after eating at Big G's.
    Gotta love winter caching in Maine! LOL!