vb:literal>

Thread: MapSource "unlock"

Default MapSource "unlock"

MapSource City Navigator, are you limited to the number of time you can use the map "unlock"

No, I don't think so. I've got a number of maps on a couple computers that I've reinstalled a number of times. I wrote down my unlock codes and it has accepted them every time. I had to get new unlock codes generated when Garmin replaced my 60CSx with another unit. Long story but it had to go in for repair and couldn't be fixed so they sent back a different 60CSx with a new unit ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelia View Post
    MapSource City Navigator, are you limited to the number of time you can use the map "unlock"
    You used to be able to unlock maps to 2 Garmin units. Checking today, looks like you can only unlock to one (with the exception of Bluechart CD's).

Quoting Garmin:

"Question: What is Garmin's Unlock Policy?
    Answer:
    Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than one Garmin GPS unit you own, you will need to purchase another code for each unit. (The exception to this is with MapSource BlueChart CD data. The region[s] you have unlocked to one compatible Garmin unit you own from a specific BlueChart CD you may unlock to ONE other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional fee.) "

This used to be a problem with Mapsource maps bought on eBay: one unlock had already been used, so you only had one left when you got the CD. Mapsource micro-SD cards can be used in any compatible GPSr's however, so you can sell one when you are through with it, like I recently did with my Spain/Portugal card.

Red face Hmmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Mapsource micro-SD cards can be used in any compatible GPSr's however, so you can sell one when you are through with it, like I recently did with my Spain/Portugal card.
    I once tried to swap cards and it didn't work. Garmin said that once a card was used in a unit it read it's serial number and would not work in a second unit.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default unlock code

Quote Originally Posted by Gelia View Post
    You only need to use the unlock code once to allow your GPS'r to read and download the maps, from Mapsource. Then you can download the maps as open as you want to. When I travel outside of New England I will download the maps for those areas. When I get back home I reload the New England area again. I've done this about 20 times. And have just recently found out that I should be using the card reader on my laptop, instead of the cable to my GPS'r. Much faster...
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I tried a couple of months ago and it's only once. Sad...

Yeah, as WhereRWe? said, with the exception of a few BlueChart maps, the unlock codes will only work with the Unit ID of the GPS they were created for. However, you can use that unlock code with that Unit ID as often as you want, reinstalling MapSource and maps on the same computer or even multiple computers with no issues. If you get a new or replacement GPS, Garmin can send you new unlock codes (which I guess would render the old unlock codes useless).

I got a 2GB MicroSD card with an SD adapter and I typically use that to download my maps. It is MUCH faster than the USB cable. I'm afraid the flimsy latch in the GPS will break with too much use though, so I only take the card out when sending new maps. For everything else like GPS logs and waypoints I just use the USB cable since they zip right along in a few seconds. Fortunately, with a 2GB card, there is more than enough room for topo, city select, BlueCharts, and even a few custom maps for the entire state of Maine, and perhaps most of New England so the card rarely gets removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I once tried to swap cards and it didn't work. Garmin said that once a card was used in a unit it read it's serial number and would not work in a second unit.
    Not sure about that. The card I had was used when I bought it, and they guy I sold it to used it...

A preloaded SD card from Garmin would likely be very different from downloading maps yourself from MapSource. Perhaps that is some of the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    You only need to use the unlock code once to allow your GPS'r to read and download the maps, from Mapsource. Then you can download the maps as open as you want to. When I travel outside of New England I will download the maps for those areas. When I get back home I reload the New England area again. I've done this about 20 times. And have just recently found out that I should be using the card reader on my laptop, instead of the cable to my GPS'r. Much faster...
    If you have a GPSr with expandable memory, you can load a LOT of maps on the card. Garmin GPSr's store waypoints on the internal memory, which is one reason why you're limited to 1,000 caches. But I only have a 256mb card in my 60csx, and can load all the Mapsource maps north/east of North Carolina, including Atlantic Canada (haven't tried to load more than that because I haven't needed them.)