vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Question Help!

Looks like I might be the newest member.

I had heard of Geocaching but never understood what it was all about.

I must just be lucky because I just went out and found a few.

I am using a Magellan explorist 200. I don't think I can enter coordinates into it, so it makes things a little harder. Does anyone know if this can be done? Before anyone asks, it does not have anyway to connect to the computer.

Also one of the sites I can't find says there is a bison tube that the cache is in. What is a bison tube?

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Bison_Tube

Here is a definition and picture of the bison tube. I'm pretty new too, so we are in the same boat. Good luck!

OK, thanks. That is a help.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Bison_Tube

Here is a definition and picture of the bison tube. I'm pretty new too, so we are in the same boat. Good luck!
    Sheesh! I've been caching a long time, and have seen a lot of these containers, but have never heard of a "bison tube"! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Looks like I might be the newest member.

I had heard of Geocaching but never understood what it was all about.

I must just be lucky because I just went out and found a few.

I am using a Magellan explorist 200. I don't think I can enter coordinates into it, so it makes things a little harder. Does anyone know if this can be done? Before anyone asks, it does not have anyway to connect to the computer.

Also one of the sites I can't find says there is a bison tube that the cache is in. What is a bison tube?
    I'm not familiar with magellens, but You must be able to enter coords.
    My garmen has a PAGE button and I push that untill the menu page comes up. There I click on WAYPOINTS to enter coords to find or MARK to enter coords that I place.
    I hope I helped!
    OPalsns

I have been using my Magellan Explorist 200 since I started a few years ago, and have been very happy with it.

To enter a point of interest, press the lower left most button labelled mark. It has a little thumbtack icon on it, unless yours has worn off from use like mine I suggest being outside where you can get a signal lock. The Explorist I have will prompt me to enter setup screen if it cant find signals within a few minutes.

If the GPS hasn't got a strong signal lock yet, you will get a warning that there is no GPS fix. Press straight down on the joystick to accept the yes response (no lock is fine, your going to input the co-ordinates from the cache page anyway)

The next screen will have a field for an Icon, Name, Location, Elevation, Message and a Save or Cancel button. Use the joystick to move the highlighter to the field you want to edit.

Once the field is highlighted, press straight in on the joystick to toggle on edit mode. At that point the joystick starts acting like a scroll wheel. Once you have the field edited the way you want, press in on the joystick again to toggle off editing.

May take a bit of playing, but once you have your point of interest entered and saved, then you can use the GOTO function. Press the lower right most button GOTO, with the hiker man icon on it. Use the joystick to select My points of interest. Scroll to the one you want and select it. Now on one of the Nav screens you will see a distance and bearing to the point of interest you entered.

Hope this helps.
    Any day caching is a good day.

Oh my God! HappyTogether you are the best. Thank you tremendously. That solves a lot of problems.

I have found a few bison tubes in PA. On my last visit I even found a kazoo & an arrow for a bow. Just remember - a cache can be hidden in anything! And in many cases you could look right past it (bolts, rocks, logs). This will be your most favorite hobby. Have tons of fun!
    Mipster

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTogether View Post
    I have been using my Magellan Explorist 200 since I started a few years ago, and have been very happy with it.

To enter a point of interest, press the lower left most button labelled mark. It has a little thumbtack icon on it, unless yours has worn off from use like mine I suggest being outside where you can get a signal lock. The Explorist I have will prompt me to enter setup screen if it cant find signals within a few minutes.

If the GPS hasn't got a strong signal lock yet, you will get a warning that there is no GPS fix. Press straight down on the joystick to accept the yes response (no lock is fine, your going to input the co-ordinates from the cache page anyway)

The next screen will have a field for an Icon, Name, Location, Elevation, Message and a Save or Cancel button. Use the joystick to move the highlighter to the field you want to edit.

Once the field is highlighted, press straight in on the joystick to toggle on edit mode. At that point the joystick starts acting like a scroll wheel. Once you have the field edited the way you want, press in on the joystick again to toggle off editing.

May take a bit of playing, but once you have your point of interest entered and saved, then you can use the GOTO function. Press the lower right most button GOTO, with the hiker man icon on it. Use the joystick to select My points of interest. Scroll to the one you want and select it. Now on one of the Nav screens you will see a distance and bearing to the point of interest you entered.

Hope this helps.
    That pretty much sums up what I would have said . . . Ekidokai . . . there are a few of us (a select few -- I like to think of us as the Special Forces of Geocaching or the Green Berets of Geocaching . . . Hiram just thinks of us as special as in Short Bus Special ) that have Magellans so if you have questions ask away and don't be daunted by the Magellan Nay-sayers (i.e. Magellans are bad, Magellans will get you lost, Magellans are responsible for Amelia Earhart going missing, , etc.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    That pretty much sums up what I would have said . . . Ekidokai . . . there are a few of us (a select few -- I like to think of us as the Special Forces of Geocaching or the Green Berets of Geocaching . . . Hiram just thinks of us as special as in Short Bus Special ) that have Magellans so if you have questions ask away and don't be daunted by the Magellan Nay-sayers (i.e. Magellans are bad, Magellans will get you lost, Magellans are responsible for Amelia Earhart going missing, , etc.)
    Sheesh! I never realized that Magellan owners were so insecure!