Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: What Is Up With The Missing G-coins?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bradley, Maine
    Posts
    183

    Angry What Is Up With The Missing G-coins?

    I now have 3 officially MIA coins, ALL IN MAINE mind you. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT CRAP? Is it really someone stealing coins, or do some people not understand the concept of the geo-coin? It is really starting to ANGER EVIL HOMER!

    Where the hell is that thing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!

  3. #3
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    I used to really enjoy the trading of coins to the extent if there was a really cool coin in a local cache I would hop in the truck and head over to grab it. Unfortunatly that all stopped when the coins stopped really "landing" in the caches. It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention. I wish this wasnt the case because I have some cool coins that I would love to see out and about. The same goes for TBs they turn up missing all the time also. Go to gc.com and check the forumns for stolen coins and you will be surprised how often it happens.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bradley, Maine
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!
    Yup. I'll bet. It might be interesting to question these people as to how they afford to buy all these coins. I think I am done releasing geocoins. It was fun for about 10 minutes.

    Where the hell is that thing?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!
    It's unfortunate that people feel this way. Not ALL geocoin collectors are thieves!!!! I am active in the geocoin and pathtag community and can assure you that there are lots and lots of honest people who work hard to establish their collections.

    I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.

    I'm sorry to hear when a coin goes missing....it's hard to know EXACTLY what happened unless you stand over the cache 24/7. I hope that the coins turn up some day and all is back to normal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.
    CM - if it were just one or two coins, I'd agree with you. But it's pretty rare that a coin gets passed along from cache to cache. Here's an example: the Maine geocoin that I placed in a cache in Portugal. Placed May 8, the next cacher to visit the cache on June 6 stated the coin wasn't there. This is not an isolated example.

    Dave1976 stated "It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention.". Yup. The Civil War Geocoin that I released at last year's Last Cashe Bashe is still missing. Most of the people attending were people we know well. Did one of them steal it? Any suggestions on another explanation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I'm sorry to hear when a coin goes missing....it's hard to know EXACTLY what happened unless you stand over the cache 24/7. I hope that the coins turn up some day and all is back to normal.
    Well, lets explore the possibilities:

    1. The coin evaporated.
    2. A raccoon took it.
    3. It was never placed in the cache to begin with.
    4. Someone stole it.

    Did I miss anything?

    Yes, I'll agree that there are a lot of legitimate coin collectors, and I don't mean to disparage them. But the fact remains that a great MANY geocoins do disappear. If they don't wind up in someone's collection, I'd sure like to know what happened to them. I'm quite proud of the Algarve geocoin that was given to me by a cacher in Portugal. At the time, he said that because of the limited production, it was probably the only one in the US. Needless to say, it is NOT going into a geocache. At any event I attend, I offer anyone who wants an opportunity to "discover" it. But it's isn't leaving my possession.


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    CM - if it were just one or two coins, I'd agree with you. But it's pretty rare that a coin gets passed along from cache to cache. Here's an example: the Maine geocoin that I placed in a cache in Portugal. Placed May 8, the next cacher to visit the cache on June 6 stated the coin wasn't there. This is not an isolated example.

    Dave1976 stated "It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention.". Yup. The Civil War Geocoin that I released at last year's Last Cashe Bashe is still missing. Most of the people attending were people we know well. Did one of them steal it? Any suggestions on another explanation?



    Well, lets explore the possibilities:

    1. The coin evaporated.
    2. A raccoon took it.
    3. It was never placed in the cache to begin with.
    4. Someone stole it.

    Did I miss anything?

    Yes, I'll agree that there are a lot of legitimate coin collectors, and I don't mean to disparage them. But the fact remains that a great MANY geocoins do disappear. If they don't wind up in someone's collection, I'd sure like to know what happened to them. I'm quite proud of the Algarve geocoin that was given to me by a cacher in Portugal. At the time, he said that because of the limited production, it was probably the only one in the US. Needless to say, it is NOT going into a geocache. At any event I attend, I offer anyone who wants an opportunity to "discover" it. But it's isn't leaving my possession.

    I do not have the knowledge to tell you exactly what happens to these coins. I am also aware that they do go missing...the issue I have was with your original post stating that people with big collections steal coins. That's basically saying that myself, Hollora, EmsDanel, kayakerinme and others here steal coins and that is not the case.

    Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. If you really want to think about what really could happen to a coin, then do it....here's a few to add:

    -new cacher picks up the coin not knowing it's trackable
    -new cacher picks up the coin, don't understand how to log coins/tbs
    -geo kid picks up the coin and geo parents didn't realize
    -coin was logged into the wrong cache
    -coin numbers unreadable, unable to log
    -cacher picks up coin, but doesn't log online, moves along at a later time
    -cache was muggled

    Geocaching is a sport played in a world that changes every day. No one can promise that things are going to happen as they should.

    On another note, I would be more than happy to contact the person that we saw at Quebec with all the coins and invite him in to discuss his collection further.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    . . .
    Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. . .
    True . . .

    #1 should be . . . 1) Metal recyclers took said coin and melted it down for recycling

    and

    #2 should be . . . 2) Ferrets took the geocoin . . . always blame the ferrets.

    On the serious side . . . Cachemaine makes a few other valid points . . . especially with new cachers.

    Personally, I've never invested much money into the coins (buying or releasing) . . . I figure if I want something personal floating around in the geo-world I would go the cheaper route and go with a personal TB.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I do not have the knowledge to tell you exactly what happens to these coins. I am also aware that they do go missing...the issue I have was with your original post stating that people with big collections steal coins. That's basically saying that myself, Hollora, EmsDanel, kayakerinme and others here steal coins and that is not the case.
    No, I'm not saying that people who have big collections steal coins. I'm saying that people who steal coins >>probably<< have big collections, and that's a big difference. Someone known to us is a coin thief. That's a fact. And as you can see from this thread, I'm not the only one to realize that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. If you really want to think about what really could happen to a coin, then do it....here's a few to add:

    -new cacher picks up the coin not knowing it's trackable
    -new cacher picks up the coin, don't understand how to log coins/tbs
    -geo kid picks up the coin and geo parents didn't realize
    -coin was logged into the wrong cache
    -coin numbers unreadable, unable to log
    -cacher picks up coin, but doesn't log online, moves along at a later time
    -cache was muggled
    Actually, I was being facetious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Geocaching is a sport played in a world that changes every day. No one can promise that things are going to happen as they should.

    On another note, I would be more than happy to contact the person that we saw at Quebec with all the coins and invite him in to discuss his collection further.
    You saw only one person with a collection? I saw a table full of people with collections.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    It's unfortunate that people feel this way. Not ALL geocoin collectors are thieves!!!! I am active in the geocoin and pathtag community and can assure you that there are lots and lots of honest people who work hard to establish their collections.

    I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.
    I'm hitting this comment again to make SEVERAL things VERY clear.

    I've known you for a long time, I know you collect coins, and I am NOT accusing you of being a thief.

    I DO NOT "assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins". I do assume that SOME people who have big collections did not come by all of them honestly. Reason for my assumption? Because a GREAT MANY geocoins do disappear. That's a fact. And it's also safe to assume that the purpose of stealing geocoins is to add them to a collection.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •