vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With The Missing G-coins?

Angry What Is Up With The Missing G-coins?

I now have 3 officially MIA coins, ALL IN MAINE mind you. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT CRAP? Is it really someone stealing coins, or do some people not understand the concept of the geo-coin? It is really starting to ANGER EVIL HOMER!

Where the hell is that thing?

Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!

d’76 Guest

I used to really enjoy the trading of coins to the extent if there was a really cool coin in a local cache I would hop in the truck and head over to grab it. Unfortunatly that all stopped when the coins stopped really "landing" in the caches. It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention. I wish this wasnt the case because I have some cool coins that I would love to see out and about. The same goes for TBs they turn up missing all the time also. Go to gc.com and check the forumns for stolen coins and you will be surprised how often it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!
    Yup. I'll bet. It might be interesting to question these people as to how they afford to buy all these coins. I think I am done releasing geocoins. It was fun for about 10 minutes.

Where the hell is that thing?

I didn't bother getting any more geocoins done after our first 100 in 2005. After I saw some of them listed as "extremely rare" and selling for $25+ on eBay that I had originally released as TBs, I got real sick of that crap. It didn't outrage me when someone sold one they'd acquired in a fair trade, though it irritated me that they didn't see enough value in it to keep for their collection. I'm pretty much through with geocoins. The only ones I purchase or trade now are the Maine ones or from someone I know personally, and occasionally I quietly leave one unactivated in a seldom visited or hard to find cache as an award for the next geocacher. But I don't advertise it in the logs so it hopefully won't get stolen. I might consider wooden nickels or tags if they are cheap enough for my next signature item. Geocoins are now like throwing money in the wind unfortunately.
    Last edited by aaronpriest; 09-01-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling... doh

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpriest View Post
    I didn't bother getting any more geocoins done after our first 100 in 2005. After I saw some of them listed as "extremely rare" and selling for $25+ on eBay that I had originally released as TBs, I got real sick of that crap. It didn't outrage me when someone sold one they'd acquired in a fair trade, though it irritated me that they didn't see enough value in it to keep for their collection. I'm pretty much through with geocoins. The only ones I purchase or trade now are the Maine ones or from someone I know personally, and occasionally I quietly leave one unactivated in a seldom visited or hard to find cache as an award for the next geocacher. But I don't advertise it in the logs so it hopefully won't get stolen. I might consider wooden nickels or tags if they are cheap enough for my next signature item. Geocoins are now like throwing money in the wind unfortunately.
    I have to agree. I emailed Evilhomer just a few weeks ago about one of his coins that I picked up in Bangor and released in Vassalboro. After some time it had not moved so I drove back out to see what was up. The coin was gone. Nothing in the log, nothing in the cache. The coin was so good looking that I think it was a matter of time before it disappeared. The other EvilHomer coin that I dropped off in China seems to have fallen off the radar as well. I placed four TB's out into the wild this summer and one never even made it out of the cache! Along with that TB at Motorgirl coin that I dropped off with it has gone missing. I've decided that a 75% success rate (so far) is better than normal, So I guess that I should be happy. I know that they were not my coins, but I still was really upset that I was the last to see them. I want to buy some, but I think that I will just collect them like pathtags and stick with simple TB's to send out. Along that vein, Is it OK to use my copy tag to resend out a TB?

Sadly, my Maine International Geocoin appears to be missing from Sydney Apple only a couple of people have logged being there since it was placed...did any of you see it? The last person said it was not there....I have had good luck with my other ones so far though.

It's unfortunate that people feel this way. Not ALL geocoin collectors are thieves!!!! I am active in the geocoin and pathtag community and can assure you that there are lots and lots of honest people who work hard to establish their collections.

I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.

I'm sorry to hear when a coin goes missing....it's hard to know EXACTLY what happened unless you stand over the cache 24/7. I hope that the coins turn up some day and all is back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.
    CM - if it were just one or two coins, I'd agree with you. But it's pretty rare that a coin gets passed along from cache to cache. Here's an example: the Maine geocoin that I placed in a cache in Portugal. Placed May 8, the next cacher to visit the cache on June 6 stated the coin wasn't there. This is not an isolated example.

Dave1976 stated "It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention.". Yup. The Civil War Geocoin that I released at last year's Last Cashe Bashe is still missing. Most of the people attending were people we know well. Did one of them steal it? Any suggestions on another explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I'm sorry to hear when a coin goes missing....it's hard to know EXACTLY what happened unless you stand over the cache 24/7. I hope that the coins turn up some day and all is back to normal.
    Well, lets explore the possibilities:

1. The coin evaporated.
    2. A raccoon took it.
    3. It was never placed in the cache to begin with.
    4. Someone stole it.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, I'll agree that there are a lot of legitimate coin collectors, and I don't mean to disparage them. But the fact remains that a great MANY geocoins do disappear. If they don't wind up in someone's collection, I'd sure like to know what happened to them. I'm quite proud of the Algarve geocoin that was given to me by a cacher in Portugal. At the time, he said that because of the limited production, it was probably the only one in the US. Needless to say, it is NOT going into a geocache. At any event I attend, I offer anyone who wants an opportunity to "discover" it. But it's isn't leaving my possession.

CM - if it were just one or two coins, I'd agree with you. But it's pretty rare that a coin gets passed along from cache to cache. Here's an example: the Maine geocoin that I placed in a cache in Portugal. Placed May 8, the next cacher to visit the cache on June 6 stated the coin wasn't there. This is not an isolated example.

Dave1976 stated "It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention.". Yup. The Civil War Geocoin that I released at last year's Last Cashe Bashe is still missing. Most of the people attending were people we know well. Did one of them steal it? Any suggestions on another explanation?

Well, lets explore the possibilities:

1. The coin evaporated.
    2. A raccoon took it.
    3. It was never placed in the cache to begin with.
    4. Someone stole it.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, I'll agree that there are a lot of legitimate coin collectors, and I don't mean to disparage them. But the fact remains that a great MANY geocoins do disappear. If they don't wind up in someone's collection, I'd sure like to know what happened to them. I'm quite proud of the Algarve geocoin that was given to me by a cacher in Portugal. At the time, he said that because of the limited production, it was probably the only one in the US. Needless to say, it is NOT going into a geocache. At any event I attend, I offer anyone who wants an opportunity to "discover" it. But it's isn't leaving my possession.

I do not have the knowledge to tell you exactly what happens to these coins. I am also aware that they do go missing...the issue I have was with your original post stating that people with big collections steal coins. That's basically saying that myself, Hollora, EmsDanel, kayakerinme and others here steal coins and that is not the case.

Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. If you really want to think about what really could happen to a coin, then do it....here's a few to add:

-new cacher picks up the coin not knowing it's trackable
    -new cacher picks up the coin, don't understand how to log coins/tbs
    -geo kid picks up the coin and geo parents didn't realize
    -coin was logged into the wrong cache
    -coin numbers unreadable, unable to log
    -cacher picks up coin, but doesn't log online, moves along at a later time
    -cache was muggled

Geocaching is a sport played in a world that changes every day. No one can promise that things are going to happen as they should.

On another note, I would be more than happy to contact the person that we saw at Quebec with all the coins and invite him in to discuss his collection further.