vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPOT Satellite Messenger

Default SPOT Satellite Messenger

I went and bought a new toy this weekend. I bought a Spot and I am pretty impressed with it so far. I do not see the relevance as to how it can be used for geocaching but I thought I would just pass along that I have one if anyone would like to know or had questions about it. As I said I just got it and am still playing with it so I am still in the learning stages. There really is not much to learn though.

With the SPOT Satellite Messenger keeps track of you and lets anyone you choose to let them know where you are and your position and coordinates. It is a tracking system. You can keep track of whoever has the spot and their progress through Google Maps and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don't.
    Blazing Troll

Looks like a nice toy, Rick! And not a bad price, either. But tell the truth - Tink bought it for you so she could keep an eye on you, right?

No I bought it for me so that I could play around with it and get the feel of it. I may carry this in 2010 on my thru hike on the Appalachian Trail. This way friends and family can track and plot my progress.

Once I get go an a hike (maybe this coming weekend). I will bring it with me and use it and show the results to every one. I am very impressed with it so far.
    Blazing Troll

A friend of mine has one because he often hikes alone. He has several people on his "I'm OK" list (e-mail) who get messages on a regualar basis to let us know that all is well.
    It's gotta be here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I may carry this in 2010 on my thru hike on the Appalachian Trail. This way friends and family can track and plot my progress.
    Hey Rick are you planning on doing a NOBO or SOBO? I'd be willing to do a section with you when you get down to SC whichever way you are going.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Just curious..NOBO?? SOBO??

North bound or South bound!!

Northbound or Southbound either starting from Katahdin in the north or Springer Mnt in Georgia in the south.

Hey Attroll

You will love it, very inexpensive way to make sure people know where you are.

Team Maine Racing had 4 of them in use for this years Cains Quest!!

Quote Originally Posted by dblacks View Post
    Hey Attroll

You will love it, very inexpensive way to make sure people know where you are.

Team Maine Racing had 4 of them in use for this years Cains Quest!!
    What are you doing here Dana???

Oh by the way, congrats on the 2nd place victory . . . JDann3 and I will be in Waterville tomorrow night for his mother-in-law (my Aunt)'s retirement party . . . I may see if he will skip over to the Saloon to say hi to you guys and congratulate you in person.

Incidentally, my Aunt is a postal worker so there should be plenty of postal employees there . . . I've posted this question on Facebook, but I may as well ask here as well . . . what's the proper etiquette for a gathering of postal employees . . . do you bring a shotgun or handgun?

And in case the Postal Police are watching . . . trust me on this . . . they're always watching for negative stuff about the US Postal Service (long story, but very true here -- if the USPS spent as much time working on cutting costs as it does tracking down negative publicity stamps would probably be selling for 25 cents) . . . anyways . . . really USPS, I was just kidding . . . please do not send all of my mail to Walla Walla, Washington or Poughkeepsie!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."