vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Next Maine Podcache?

Yes, thank you Kacky and KG for all you did to bring a local Maine podcast to listeners. Times and tides do change....but know, you will be missed. The very best to you as you journey down, yet another trail!

I think that what I have been trying to explain is, it does not take a lot of time, but it takes a lot of flexibility to do it my stubborn way. Interviews are half an hour to an hour long, but in order to get someone when they are free, you have to be able to get TO them. Every event has become a scramble for podcast material and keeps me from enjoying my friends. My segments with Elaine take about 10 minutes each, but which 10 minutes, out of a busy workweek? When we are out, she just wants to cache, and that is understandable. But our show, in my mind, requires 2 people and requires the interviews. Another person might have a live-in co-host or want to plan a whiz-bang show with just their own voice, or maybe they're comfortable setting up phone interviews. I just wasn't.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

I just did a mock-up of a possible page design for the new podcast. Would someone like to open it and tell me how long it takes to load on your computer? I build my own templates and it's done in html, which I know is clunky. One of the first episodes will be how to design sites using CSS! The white section will be the podcast player and subscription buttons. I will probably move my bio to another page and free up some space for advertisers. My hosting guy hasn't enabled my domain name yet so I have it on a personal site. http://puffincentral.com/podcast.htm

Took just under five seconds (tried twice and cleared cookies & cache between attempts) to load four elements with a dsl connection.

i clicked and it was there no wait for me (less than a second). i too run dsl. for some people it would be slower but you got to take into account what type of processor they have and what type or how much ram they have. i imagine that with more added on it will take longer.

Am on cable for my internet - it took seconds! I'd call it a flash. Very nice.

Oh - and I have no idea about the RAM and gigs and all that - it just works!
    Last edited by hollora; 11-10-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Spelling & to add something

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    ...for some people it would be slower but you got to take into account what type of processor they have and what type or how much ram they have...
    True enough...I tried it on an old machine here at work running a 1.20 GHz AMD processor with 752 Mb RAM and Windows XP (service pack 1). The web browser was also not the only program using processor time and memory.

--Mike.

I had a good response with my mom's dial-up as well, the text came on in a flash and the pictures in 5 seconds. Thanks you guys!

A little late but I got the page pretty much instantly. Nice design
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Thank you! I know the template designs usually have rounded edges and stuff but I am trying to keep images to a minimum, for our friends on dial-up.