vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Next Maine Podcache?

Quote Originally Posted by Kacky View Post
    After a weekend of soul-searching and some tears, I have decided to end it right now. I have been acting like a petulant, spoiled brat because I don't have time to do it the way I want to do it. I could put out a monologue twice a month but darn it, that was not my vision and I don't wanna! I do hope someone picks up from here. There are many Maine cachers and many Maine events that should be highlighted... just not by ME anymore.
    As soon as I figure this out I might give this a go.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

That would be awesome!

Want help? I don't know a thing about podcasting, other than listening to a bunch, but I'm willing to try.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

If you decide to do it, send a courtesy message to Bass_chaz in New Hampshire, because he is considering turning his podcast into a regional one that would include Maine. If you decide not to start a new Maine one, consider joining his. I know that if he did it, he would like to have correspondents sending in audio all the time. Either way, it would help him to know what your intentions are.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

If you decide to do it, send a courtesy message to Bass_chaz in New Hampshire, because he is considering turning his podcast into a regional one that would include Maine. If you decide not to start a new Maine one, consider joining his. I know that if he did it, he would like to have correspondents sending in audio all the time. Either way, it would help him to know what your intentions are.

Thanks. I've been corresponding with Ekidokai about doing the podcast. I started listening to his and a couple of other geocaching podcasts to get an idea of what to do in terms of content. I'm still at the "I'm way to busy but this looks like a neat thing to do, how can I do it" stage. I seem to have a bit of OCD in my personality.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Technically it isn't difficult at all. You just have to decide what kind of recording you want to do, and invest accordingly. I have a $20.00 Radio Shack microphone that plugs into the sound card of my computer, and I use Adobe Audition because I already had it for work. But there are lots of free editing applications you can download from websites. It takes a while to learn the editing programs - again, I had a jump on it because I do it for a living. But there are 12-year-olds making podcasts, so it can't be too hard to learn.

To record in the field, I use my ipod 1st-gen nano and the optional voiceMemo microphone, then synch to get the audio into itunes, and from there drag it into the editing program.

Team Horwich has access to a handheld digital recorder that I drool over, but it's a few hundred dollars as opposed to my $149.00 ipod and $60.00 mic attachment.

To record people on their phone or their home computer, I use Gizmo Project. It's like 1/3 of a cent per minute for a phone interview, and free if they are willing to download Gizmo onto their own computer.

After you get your show edited, you send it to a website. I have been using Libsyn because podcast hosting is all they do, and they take care of the RSS so that the listeners can subscribe and all that. They charge $5.00 a month fpr stirage and bandwidth.

I had email from Bass Chaz tonight and he's asking for an events segment but no interviews or tutorials, so that means this is still wide open!

Thanks. I do like the idea of doing it as a freelance reporter type.

If NativeMainer wants to take the lead on heading up the podcache, I'm all for it also.

At this point I like the idea of letting Bass_chaz Do the hard work, as he has already got one going. I'll contribute to either Podcacher that wants my input.

I'll try and contact him.

I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I have never met a more generous group of people than the geocachers. Someone is always ready and willing to tell their stories for podcast. You will really enjoy that part, and I can do interviews from time to time as well.

At this moment, I'm probably about 75-80% certain that I'll do the podcast. I'm still mulling it over in my mind, but sometimes I can't seem to get it out of my head.

My life is rather hectic (full time job, my wife and I own an apartment building, twin four year old daughters, aspiring photographer and poker player and responsibilities to a religious group here in southern Maine) so I'd probably only do one podcast a month. And I'll probably start at the beginning of the year. Kacky's given me a couple of good ideas a couple of posts back, so I'll be exploring options more, plus I've been listening to other geocaching podcasts to get some ideas for content of a show.

If anyone has ideas, suggestions, I'll listen.

A cute story that relates to this thread: I was talking to my wife about a week or two ago. She knows I subscribe to a large number of podcasts. I told her that there was one about geocaching. Her response, "I'm not surprised." I then went on to tell here that the Maine Podcache was going off the air (so to speak) and that it was open for someone to pick it up and run with it (I was giving it some thought at this point). Her response, "So, are you going to do it?"

I love my wife!

Hello all...

I am Bass Chaz, the Host of the Granite State Geocaching Podcast. (right Now, anyway)

Living as close as I do to the Great State of Maine, and having done podcasts for well over a year now, I was saddened to learn that the Maine Podcache was no longer going to produce a show.
    I come before you to offer an alternative...
    A "NEW" Regional podcast covering NH, Maine and Vermont (as they dont seem to have one).
    I desire YOUR input into this venture...

Name suggestions and the like...

I have had some input from others that would be willing to help and as I have the resources, knowledge and experience doing a Monthly podcast, I thought that we could expand the Geocaching based Experiences of all of us into one show that could cover so much more than a lone, State based podcast could.

Even though I host the Granite State Geocachers Community Forums, and have a Great Group of both Maine and NH Members (as well as ones overseas and around the United States!) are we NOT all about "Community"?
    There are Forums now that cover Mass. NH, and Maine.. (Dont know about Vermont.. Im so far East..) but I think the Region needs a Geocaching media outlet (podcast) that is both informative, funny and topical for all of us listening, focusing on Events, Hunts, Interviews, News about the Sport/Obession, as well as spreading the word, both about caching as well as the right way and the wrong way (No ammo cans coverd with PC boards, or pipe bomb look alikes) to Geocache.
    I appeciate the input..
    Thank you, in advance and Happy Holidays..
    Doing What You Love is Freedom
    Loving What You do is Happiness!