vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey ya'll from Alabama

Hybrid View

Default Hey ya'll from Alabama

Greetings!

I will be traveling to Maine at the end of next week. Another Alabama Geocacher (Gubbool) http://findingwarren.com/ is hiking the Applachian Trail ( he's now at the Maine/NH line). The plan is for he
    & I to meet somewhere in Maine. I'll drive him to Baxter SP & we'll do
    Katahdin together. After that we'll both hike the AT southbound. I'll drop off to return home & he'll continue to our original meeting spot in your beautiful state. I'll be with him until the 19th.

The overall plan is for him to bicycle back to Alabama. The geocache
    angle (beside me wanting to get a few caches in each state between
    Alabama & Maine ) is I will be bringing a bike trailer & tools for him to have during his return trip to Alabama. The plan is to purchase a Walmart bike when he returns near the original rondezvous point.

So we were wanting to know if there are a few geocachers in the area who might be able to help with either storage of the trailer for a couple of weeks [folds up to about the size of a folding metal chair) or at least help us pick a good place to "geocache the trailer" for a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to do a few Maine Geocaches too.

oldboyhiker aka Steve

Sounds like fun! I'm sure one of us can set you up. Any idea what area of the state would be convenient for you?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

There are some geocaches on the Golden Road right by Abol Bridge. The AT crosses Abol Bridge before heading in to Baxter state park.

I have some questions about the person you hooking up with. I am very much very AT knowledgeable I guess you could say.

What is his trail name?
    Does he keep a journal on www.trailjournals.com?
    What guidebook is he using if he is using one?

Does he keep a journal on
    Blazing Troll

Rick -

I exchanged a couple of emails with this guy after he received my welcome message. I suggested that he contact you and gave him a link to the WhiteBlaze site.

Thanks guys.

Click on the link Findingwarren.com on my original message. That takes you to his (Trail name and GC name Gubbool) last trail journey entry. An interesting character. We have a link on our Dixiecacher (Alabama Cache site similar to this one) so he is quite the local hiking/caching hero.

I assume the part of Maine we would like to drop the trailer in will be close to his & I meeting point. He's still in NH apparently. (we talk only weekly at most, but we should talk several time this week). So I'm figuring on the west side of Hwy 201. Looks like not too many towns there so looks like it may have to be off trail quite a bit. Maybe Farmington or Rumford for a bigger town with a Walmart, but if there is a worthy town closer toi the trail that would probably be better.

You might want to get a hold of Shaw's Lodging in Monson Maine and they may be able to help you out. They are right near the trail and are well known up and down the trail. It is the last trail town before he will be heading into the 100 mile wilderness.
    Blazing Troll

Talked to Gubbool. He's at Gorum NH, so not as far as i thought. He'll take a zero day at Rangely on the 15th where I will pick him up. Looks like I'll be accompanying him from Katadin down to Cooper or Logan Brook Shelters. Then I've got a shuttle to take me back to Millinocket. The shuttle guy says there is a phone at Henderson checkpoint Anybody, know of a good internet AT Trail map of the 100 mile wilderness showing any roads in & out of there with trail intersections?

Will geocache a little of Eustis on Monday too I hope.

The only roads that I have used for AT access in the 100 mile wilderness is the KI (Katahdin Ironworks) road/gate that will take you to Gulf of Hagas.

The Jo-Mary road/gate will get you into Crawford Pond via B-pond road or Cooper via Jo-Mary road. If you follow Jo-Mary further out I believe it will take you to Nahmakanta Lake. There are also other gates and entrances but these or the two most commonly used. I am not familur with any of the other gates but if you need to know any more or need directions I can put you in contact with someone that can help you that lives just outside the 100 mile wildeness.
    Blazing Troll

I forgot to mention. I would like to meet you and Warren and could have if he was just a week ahead of where he is now. I am putting on a hiker feed in Monson this weekend for thru hikers behind the school in the ball fields on the 13th and 14th.
    Blazing Troll

Default Alabama

Is Alabama down past Portland?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.