vb:literal>

Thread: Free Garmin Topo maps for Maine

Hybrid View

Default Free Garmin Topo maps for Maine

GPSFileDepot has posted another set of free maps that might be of interest to Maine geocachers. Last week it was a set for Massachusetts. This week a set of free Maine maps with 50' contour intervals was released.

GO$Rs

Cool, I just downloaded both Mass and Maine and they look pretty good from what I've seen. They even have our driveway on the map.
    I haven't loaded it onto the GPS yet folks may want to read this page very interesting
    http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/Ne...cle/sid=8.html

So I just bought a new gps, the Map 60csx after using a Legend for the last three years. I never downloaded much other than caches into the legend due to the lack of memory. Now, having the available room, I downloaded the whole state of Maine maps and the are excellent. Anyway, in searching around to find what else is out there to fill up my cards, I found the Expert GPS link http://www.expertgps.com/data.asp with the 23,000+ points of interest on it. I want to load most of these, eliminating just the duplicate ones but I can't figure out how to integrate them into the topo/street map without them actually being waypoints for obvious reasons. Is there any way to convert them or make them part of the map so that they are truly points of interest rather than waypoints? I tried loading them into the map using mapsource, saving the map, then loading into the gps but that didnt work. Should I be using some other software to save them into the map, then load the map into Mapsource to send it to the unit? I'm still learning and searching for extras so any help would be great.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    So I just bought a new gps, the Map 60csx after using a Legend for the last three years. I never downloaded much other than caches into the legend due to the lack of memory. Now, having the available room, I downloaded the whole state of Maine maps and the are excellent. Anyway, in searching around to find what else is out there to fill up my cards, I found the Expert GPS link http://www.expertgps.com/data.asp with the 23,000+ points of interest on it. I want to load most of these, eliminating just the duplicate ones but I can't figure out how to integrate them into the topo/street map without them actually being waypoints for obvious reasons. Is there any way to convert them or make them part of the map so that they are truly points of interest rather than waypoints? I tried loading them into the map using mapsource, saving the map, then loading into the gps but that didnt work. Should I be using some other software to save them into the map, then load the map into Mapsource to send it to the unit? I'm still learning and searching for extras so any help would be great.
    Not sure if this will work with the maps - it should - but try loading them onto the GPSr using Garmin's POI loader.

Since the Points of Interest (POI) are stored on the expansion card, you can load as many POI's as your expanded memory can handle. You can also use the POI loader to get around Garmin's 1,000 waypoint limit (as these are stored on the internal memory). There is a way to label geocache POI's with the geocache icon, but I've forgotten how to do it. Perhaps someone else can help.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 10-22-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Smile

Turns out I got them in just by dropping the file on the memory card before I had originally posted. The reason I wasn't seeing them is because with the 60csx you have to turn the map detail to the MOST setting before they'll show. I realized this after the POI loader was taking like 15 minutes or so to load the file. I still couldn't see them so I was getting frustrated and started to play around. Thanks for the help.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry