vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow Hunting?

Default Bow Hunting

There are very few unethical bow hunters and a long shot is 40 yards, most shots even closer then that. When I bow hunt, you could walk right under a tree I'm in and you'd never know I was there unless I wanted you to know.

But during the "silly season", i.e., the regular rifle season on deer in November, wear your orange and stay clear of places that attract large groups of hunters. I do deer hunt during that season, but I try to "get it over" as quickly as possible. Normal law-abiding people turn in outlaws during this season, and crazy people... well throw away the keys! I'd simply stay clear of common hunting areas in November.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Cool ok

Well I really do trust you all, but it was stil a little unnerving....I think the dog and I will wear bright colors all the same. You know, crawling around on the ground looking for a cache, I just may be mistaken for some wird animal.....yeti maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    yeaup, no orange required for bow hunting, and if you see a big pile of donuts in the middle of the woods, just go the other way, trust me, you didn't find the end of the rainbow.
    Baiting police, are we?

As long as Chaney isn't around, you should be OK!!

( This message has been approved by the people for safer hunting)

I think the only reason there may be less unethical bow hunters around is only because there are less bow hunters around. Percentage wise, I would imagine the number of unethical hunters would be close regardless of weapon chosen. Add to that as was stated that the length of a shot being shorter, the opportunity to do stupid stuff is lessened when bow hunting, which drops the number of incidents - but doesn't necessarily mean the ethics level is greater than other hunters.

I must say, though, I think I'd rather get shot by a bullet than some of those arrows...

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    And, most bow hunters will not be upset about you being there. Actually your being there probably helps to get the deer up and moving.

I knew the donuts comment was coming from FFJ. Go figure!
    I am a bow hunter and I am the total opposite. I scout my area out ahead of time and find out the deers normal movement patterns and then I put my deer stand in the ideal spot where they will walk. If someone disturbs there patterns then I get pretty upset. Hunting from a deer stand is a lot different then hunting with a gun. You have to get a deer within 30 yards of your deer stand to be able to shoot at it. Also the deer has to be unaware that your there because if it is the slightest bit aware something is different it will be on edge and it is fast enough to be able to dodge an arrow. Unlike a person hunting with a gun, they can shoot a deer on the run or over 200 hundred yards out in some cases.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Team U.S.Eh? View Post
    Well I really do trust you all, but it was stil a little unnerving....I think the dog and I will wear bright colors all the same. You know, crawling around on the ground looking for a cache, I just may be mistaken for some wird animal.....yeti maybe?
    HehHeh . . . I came home from work several years ago to find that my wife had made little bow ties out of florescent orange marking tape since she was concerned about hunters.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    Baiting police, are we?
    In the Woods !! That would require that I get out of my Cruiser. Not going to happen (Unless they are Krispy Kremes) We save the stale donuts for the Trout Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    In the Woods !! That would require that I get out of my Cruiser. Not going to happen (Unless they are Krispy Kremes) We save the stale donuts for the Trout Troopers
    Oh this is too good to be true . . . you aren't a cop in Oakland are you? If memory serves me correctly our very own Hiram357 had a run in with some Boys in Blue in Oakland. Ah, those memories of his.

On a serious note, if you are a police officer in Oakland you might know a former colleague of mine -- Jeff Hunter -- a graduate of Unity College and an EMT (we ran together on the ambulance.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Did someone say DOHNUTS?

Where the hell is that thing?