vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AtV freindly caches

Default AtV freindly caches

I know we're closed down for the winter but does anyone have any good legal ATV freindly caches I can add to my list. I made a good list of the ones I've found and would love to try some new trails. Thanks, racatv

There are tons of them up in Aroostock county.The whole county is ATV friendly with many caches along the trails. Also on the old Newport to Dover Foxcroft railbed which is ATV friendly there are many more caches along that trail as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Two of them on the Buckfield rail bed also

d’76 Guest

menace66 has a series of rails to trails caches that I did with out an atv and they where ok, but went back and did some of them on the atv later and they made alot more sence. I liked them alot, riding on atv for them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    I know we're closed down for the winter but does anyone have any good legal ATV freindly caches I can add to my list. I made a good list of the ones I've found and would love to try some new trails. Thanks, racatv
    Closed down for the winter???

Well I don't know about ATV caches... FirefighterJake is a good reference for those though.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Well the two really prime areas have been mentioned . . . the Newport to Dover-Foxcroft RR bed has a bunch of caches placed by Menace66 that are quick and easy to do . . . ironically while I've ridden the railroad bed many a time on my ATV and sled I did all of these caches the "hard" way (well not really, most were not all that far from a road crossing and walking on near level terrain isn't really all that challenging even for a short, fat, out of shape guy like me . If you're looking for a quick day ride (and combining some caching) this is a nice, easy ride up and back and Menace brings you to some nice places (i.e. ponds, scenic views, historical dam site) that you would normally miss if you were just chugging on by on an ATV.

Also mentioned previously is the caches placed in the County . . . again, I've ridden these trails many times by sled and ATV and with the exception of one of my earliest cache finds did most of them relying on Jakepower vs. horsepower. There are many, many caches here, but one of my earliest that I found and one of the most enjoyable ATV-friendly cache was up on Mar's Hill . . . the view from the top is incredible . . . however access now is limited so you would want to plan your trip via ATV accordingly. In terms of ATVing, the County is a wonderful place to ride as folks there are very friendly towards the ATVing community -- it's the only place I've ever been where you can ride on a city sidewalk (Van Buren) and police officers will actually give you a friendly wave.

Of course there are some other ATV accessible caches here and there . . . I, myself, have placed two or three caches in Troy/Jackson that can be accessed by ATVs . . . in fact Steverph found two of them while attending our annual ATV poker run with the Troy ATV Club a couple of years ago.

If you're all about the journey and not the numbers a truly great ride is to go from the Airline Snack Bar on Rt. 9 and ride to Grand Lake Stream . . . there is at least one cache in Grand Lake Stream. The cache itself is a micro (and I've not blown away by micros), but it's in a great spot and Grand Lake Stream is a great little town to visit by ATVs (all the town roads there are ATV Access Routes.) There are some great views on the ride to Grand Lake Stream and some neat areas . . . including the "Cell Phone Booth" which consists of a little spot on top of a bluff that offers a wonderful 180 degree panoramic view of the countryside.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Smile Winter ATV Trails and "Closed down for the Winter"

It seems that, historically, ATV's and Snowmobiles don't mix well in winter months. In fact, ATV's can't use ITS trails. While it is a bit of a poke, Quebec province, ST. George for example, has both groomed snowmobile trails and ATV trails all done by the same clubs. There are a ton of caches in Quebec and as you know a big event is being planned for next summer. In the meantime, I don't think we're closed down at all, it's just a little harder and we have to pick and choose where we go. Di and I went 7 for 8 this past Saturday so "game on!" Happy ATV'ing!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    It seems that, historically, ATV's and Snowmobiles don't mix well in winter months. In fact, ATV's can't use ITS trails. While it is a bit of a poke, Quebec province, ST. George for example, has both groomed snowmobile trails and ATV trails all done by the same clubs. There are a ton of caches in Quebec and as you know a big event is being planned for next summer. In the meantime, I don't think we're closed down at all, it's just a little harder and we have to pick and choose where we go. Di and I went 7 for 8 this past Saturday so "game on!" Happy ATV'ing!
    I think Racatv might have meant he was compiling a list of ATV friendly caches in Maine so when he comes up in late Spring or Summer he can combine geocaching and ATVing all in one . . . I didn't interpret his post as being that of a person who wants to ride his ATV on the trails and go geocaching right now.

Around here (knock on wood) I don't see too many folks using their ATVs on sled trails . . . other than an occasional tracked ATV which is of course legal providing they register their ATV as a sled (which I have mixed feelings about -- both the cost of having to register the same vehicle twice, the speed of the ATV, etc.) As a member of both a snowmobile club and two ATV Clubs I view both outdoor activities as viable with similar goals -- something that the MSA President has finally come around to seeing as well which is a change from the anti-ATV bias he and the MSA seemed to share until just recently.

Personally what I like to see in the winter months is snowmobile clubs working with the non-motorized folks to provide groomed cross country ski trails. I know the PI clubs and other clubs in the County have been doing this for years with great success (proving that the motorized and non-motorized folks can also work together towards a common goal) and just last year a local club started to do the same for its local skiers.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Smile

You're spot on about ATV's, sleds and XC skiers. To me it seems the furthur north you go, the less likely you are to run into the extreme prejudices sommon around here. I do all three but if I catch an ATV on an ITS trail, particularily one I may have groomed then it's not pretty. Likewise, I always give a friendly was to XC skiers when we meet them on snowmobile trails but it irks me when a skier gives you "that look." I have both traditional and skating cross country skis and groomed snowmobile trails are perfect and unless you're deaf, skiers have plenty of time to get out of the way of oncoming sleds. My last two rides last winter were on ITS 85 out of Bingham on a weekend. I spent most of my time shaking my fist at idiots driving foolishly. Anyway, my guess is that geo-cachers enjoying any of these sports would be most inclined to do so with great respect for the others out there. I think that's the clear message I'm getting from this group. Are they grooming out your way and toward Frye Mountain? There's one cache, I think it's Cache with a View in the Frye Mgt. area I want to bag this winter.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Are they grooming out your way and toward Frye Mountain? There's one cache, I think it's Cache with a View in the Frye Mgt. area I want to bag this winter.
    Frye Mt is awesome! It's hard to find though. We drove around it several times looking for the entrance/trailhead...the bottom is being developed. You may want to take rope with you; I remember a steep bit on rock just past a really big tree, which could be icy this time of year.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods