vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman Geocoin

Default Leatherman Geocoin

Leatherman once roamed Connecticut and New York from 1858 to 1889. He traveled a 365-mile loop between the Connecticut and Hudson rivers. Approximately every month he would repeat his journey. The man spoke primarily with grunts or gestures and dressed in crudely stitched leather from his hat to his shoes. The suit was made of soft-tanned calfskin leather and weighed about sixty pounds. He would sleep outside year-round mostly in caves around Connecticut and New York.

There are many geocaches at locations of Leatherman caves including one at his supposed tombstone in New York. I own two of them in Conncecticut and wanted to combine his interesting story with my first venture into creating a Geocoin.

The net result is the "Leather Man's Circuit Geocoin" which is a commemorative to this early geocacher. On the front is the Leather Man with his date of birth and death. On the back is a map of his ciruit, with a leather-texture background.

I have some left and set up a site for those that want to purchase some. Note that if you want more than 5, please send me an e-mail to confirm I still have some in quantity. Same thing if you see this post beyond the middle of October since I assume they will move fast. I only made 250 and was able to get the custom icon.

Order here
    http://members.aol.com/KerryWills/lman.htm

A bookmark of Leatherman caves and cachs is also linked. I personally own two and they are amazing caves.
    http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/...e-1e9571415f2c

We did one of the Leatherman caches off the Saw Mill Parkway in NY. It's hard to imagine what the places looked like 200 years ago.

I have found 8 and I always think about that. At a geocaching event I met a person (Dan Deluca) who is writing a book on the Leatherman. He actually showed me a few new spots where I planed some caches.

Is this coin trackable at geocaching.com? Doesn't look like that is so...

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Is this coin trackable at geocaching.com? Doesn't look like that is so...
    Dan -

Click on the order link. It says "All coins are trackable on www.Geocaching.com and have their own custom icon".

That is correct - is also shows the icon that you will see

Probably a dumb question, but is there any connection to the "LEATHERMAN" tool that most of us are familiar with?

Where the hell is that thing?

I am not sure if they made it in his namesake or for some other reason.

I believe it is. I know a place that sells them and a while back I saw a story about him on a display for the tools.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Dan -

Click on the order link. It says "All coins are trackable on www.Geocaching.com and have their own custom icon".

That link appears to have stopped working as of Halloween per AOL. Here's a link that displays a picture of the coin with Kerry's email address if you want to place an order. http://newgeocoins.blogspot.com/2008...n-geocoin.html
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry