vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geocachers in the real world

Arrow Intro of an organization

Hollora introduces JD Foundation: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=3519
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Lightbulb motorcycling and geocaching

If you like to motorcycle and geocache, here's something to do for Geocaching Maine community:

Maine Family emailed me that a guy is trying to put together an article about the combination of motocycling and geocaching. Is anyone who motocycles interested?? Please post here and/or PM Maine Family through geocaching.com

"I received an email from Jim LeClair and this is what he had to say.
    Jim here from RideMaine, a regional publication for touring Maine on motorcycles. I'm looking for an article for the 2009 season about geocaching and motorcycling. I was wondering if you knew someone in Maine that rides motorcycles and would be interested in writing an article." --Maine Family
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Don't the adults of Fudds Girls occasionally cache from their Motorcycle?

Thanks for the mention, Steph. One on one contact is still the surest way to have an effect. When you work with a group, you take your chances on whether their members will be curious about it. I put on an event with Androscoggin Land Trust where we would all go snowshoeing, which is something their members do anyway, and at the same time show them what geocachers do on their trails. We got a great turnout from geocachers as always, but none of their members showed up to learn. Martes and I have both hosted trail cleanups, but again, it's only the geocachers who show up. Of course, sometimes you might offer a demonstration and lots of townies will come. It's unpredictable. I'd love to see someone offer geocaching as an adult ed course somewhere, because you know in advance what your enrollment will be. In fact I may do it myself in the fall, after the podcasting course is done.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Wow! What a great bunch of ideas.

I missed the walks as I just found this thread today.

I am part of another group that gets asked to do a lot of last minute talks on the things we do. It has always come out great.

I would love to participate in any seminars or talks on Geocaching.

My other group is going to be doing talks at a couple of Libraries that have been hounding us for a while, in the next few months we will be speaking in Bangor and Lincoln. We have had a great success with these in the past. Advertising, getting the word out is the best way to get attention. I have many contacts in the media on this aspect and Bill Green and I have talked about doing another story on Geocaching. It came up while we were doing a story on the hauntings and investigations done in Maine.

Another thing that seems to bring people out is offering a cook out or interesting prizes. We did one of those last minute talks at Fort Knox last summer and the director was so impressed with us that he decided to hold a raffle offering a chance to go out on a Ghost hunt at the fort with our team. The interest was really high. We had people enter from all over the country and Canada. If we maybe offered a Geocaching expedition taking people or groups out to actually do some different types of caches might be a big draw.

I know I would have signed up.

I know I have only been doing this for about four or five months, but I have turned on about 6 people to geocaching. The ones I have taken out on hunts with me are the ones that got hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    AHHHH-HAA! We thought something odd was afoot! I am glad to hear that they are getting some help. Now I cant wait until they republish! I am fairly new and haven't learned ALL the tricks of the trade, but I am always willing to give advice or help newbies that want to place a cache and dont quite know what they need to do. Maybe we can start a basic training course for new cachers? I know that some of us that work at UMO talked about putting together a "Geocaching 101" type of seminar. Maybe this is something we can incorporate into that?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Wow, sorry that was so long.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.