vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocachers in the real world

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    Feel free to join my staff and I when we walk in the Damariscotta breast cancer walk. We have a team already. Just wear a pink shirt and you can write anything you want on the back of the shirt. We'll also gladly take any donations and add them to our collections to give to Strides Against Breast Cancer.

I am serious--just PM me if you want to join us.
    PM sent. Depending on date and time - this would be awesome.

Also, I would like to see us do a team to support Relay (Dan's in Ellsworth) again this year. Now is the time to begin working on stratedgies.

Keep the ideas flowing.

I have a thought - if a pathtag was done for relay (there is already one for Breast cancer - if folks need info PM me for contact info) - would folks be willing to purchase them as a fund raiser? I think I know a designer!

Thumbs up Great idea, fund raising with Pathtags

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post

I have a thought - if a pathtag was done for relay (there is already one for Breast cancer - if folks need info PM me for contact info) - would folks be willing to purchase them as a fund raiser? I think I know a designer!
    Another great idea, I just wonder if one specifically for the relay would be too narrow a topic to get rid of them. How about doing one that says how much geocachers care about out communities?

Geocachers helping out where it counts...at home.

Or something like that, a more generic saying to cover further activities beyond the relay.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    Feel free to join my staff and I when we walk in the Damariscotta breast cancer walk. We have a team already. Just wear a pink shirt and you can write anything you want on the back of the shirt. We'll also gladly take any donations and add them to our collections to give to Strides Against Breast Cancer.

I am serious--just PM me if you want to join us.
    Is that on the 19th? I don't have a pink shirt, but I'll wash a t-shirt with something red and see what happens.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

lol! That's the day--here's the link:

http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/s...nv6851.app313a

Registration at 1 p.m. and walk begins at 2 p.m. I searched for our team and of course, couldn't find it! I have to ask what our team name is when I get to work tomorrow!

It sounds like you can just show up at 1 p.m. and join my team or you can walk as an individual. My office is McCormick & Bouchard Eye Care maybe you will have better luck searching for it than I did! Anyway--let me know if you are interested, we'd be glad to have you!

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    Everything you said is great! I think there's lots of us who want to help out, outside of geocaching, or want to combine our volunteering with geocaching, and here's a great place for us to talk about how.

And that story about Dubord made me laugh out loud!
    to bring this back to the front page how can we as geocachers help others? whether we help each other or others in need.
    Last edited by hide_from_the_kids; 10-27-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: duh moment

It's such a long ways off, but I'll be listing the 2nd Be an Elf for a Day GeoGreet in the next couple of days. Save December 20th if you can and Be an Elf for a Day!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Lightbulb so many ways to reach out

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    to bring this back to the front page how can we as geocachers help others? whether we help each other or others in need.
    Sometime organizations/individuals contact geoachers for help. Sometimes geocachers know that organizations/individuals have needs. Sometimes geocachers seek out organizations/individuals to offer expertise.

I'm not sure which process took place, but a weekend or so ago, I helped Dave1976 (and so did Hiram and Girlmate) map out the trails at the Hirundo Wildlife Refuge. This location has a few caches (we even nabbed a couple) and the trustees would like to promote enjoyment of the location to others. Having a more accurate map was something they think may help. In addition to Dave, I know Hiram357 has helped take GPS tracks and map out trails for groups. If you're interested in doing that, you may want to PM either of them.

Keep sharing ideas
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Lightbulb host an event

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    It's such a long ways off, but I'll be listing the 2nd Be an Elf for a Day GeoGreet in the next couple of days. Save December 20th if you can and Be an Elf for a Day!
    Hosting events is a great way to give back to the geocaching community. You can even invite friends and family who aren't yet cachers to introduce them to geocaching! It's a great outreach activity to coordinate with a land trust, which I think Kacky has done as well as others. I hope they'll post about their experiences for others who are interesting in hosting events.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Well, the multi quote may or may not work but in response to Gob-ler's post and Medawisla's - thanks for the advance notice to all. This event was a lot of fun.

Thumbs up 2009 - Hancock County Relay for Life

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    Hosting events is a great way to give back to the geocaching community. You can even invite friends and family who aren't yet cachers to introduce them to geocaching! It's a great outreach activity to coordinate with a land trust, which I think Kacky has done as well as others. I hope they'll post about their experiences for others who are interesting in hosting events.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Gary this has got to be your best idea of all time.Make it so.
    Heads up everyone - this will be happening again this year. Here is your open invitation - a group of Geocaching folks will be participating in the 2009 Hancock County Relay for Life - again this year. Please consider joining us!

We NEED more cachers to walk! It will be the Friday night of Father's Day weekend and end on Saturday morning. Plenty of time to still enjoy the Father's Day weekend and celebrate with Dad.

FMI contact hollora through a PM or EMSDanel will be our Team Captain again this year.

Thanks to all who mustered up and helped last year. I know there are a lot more who needed notice and this should help.