vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what happens when...

d’76 Guest

Default Look what happens when...

Hiram goes caching on the ATV. It was an awesome day out caching from Newport to Dover then around the Corrina Loop. The Corinna loop was a blast. It was about 14 miles and the landscape was amazing.

ahhh yes, but dave forgot to mention that on the return trip, he got stuck in the EXACT SAME SPOT....... and even though he refused to give me the camera, I have connie for a witness!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

That must have been on the Corinna portion of the trail . . . I heard there was some mucky sections and it was a bit rough in places. I haven't rode on that section yet . . . and I'm smart enough to go around those portions.

So did the trail go all the way to Dover-Foxcroft? Last I knew the trail was open all the way until DF . . . and then there was a landowner that had shut down the connecting trail between DF and Abbot.

And I thought you guys were going to Plymouth?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default More power Scotty!

My Grizzly would have gone through that in a heartbeat. Last spring my ATV buddies challenged me to go through a "deep" hole on the pipeline that they knew was probably impossible. I cracked them all up when I put on a lifejacket and mask and a snorkel and went for it. When somebody says "Look out boys, I'm going to give her some", get out of the way and get the winch ready. I didn't quite get through the wet hole and learned how to drain water out of the breather that day!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Heck, Mary of Davidson7 does that in her Jeep! Woo, hoo ~ took me back to my High School days.

This looks like the old Mud Runs up in Mars Hill or Lincoln area back in the early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    My Grizzly would have gone through that in a heartbeat. Last spring my ATV buddies challenged me to go through a "deep" hole on the pipeline that they knew was probably impossible. I cracked them all up when I put on a lifejacket and mask and a snorkel and went for it. When somebody says "Look out boys, I'm going to give her some", get out of the way and get the winch ready. I didn't quite get through the wet hole and learned how to drain water out of the breather that day!
    HeHe . . . I learned the hard way a few years back in the Spring while doing the Newport to DF trail that when you come across a bunch of ATVers and they're all just sitting there on one side of a water crossing that you might not want to take their words of encouragement to heart (i.e. sure you can make it, we just saw a bunch go through no more than five minutes ago.)

The darn beavers had dammed up a section - water was a bit deeper than I thought . . . I might have made it across though as the wheels would hit the bottom, give me a little forward motion, I would float a bit and then hit the bottom and repeat . . . I might have made it though if I had kept on the throttle . . . as soon as I let off the gas my forward motion stopped and my weight caused the ATV to stop floating and down I went.

After my riding buddy stopped laughing he helped me pull the ATV back to dry land and after pulling the plug and draining the water we were able to jumpstart the ATV and get it running again.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

it may not look like much, but a jeep would definitely not make it through, and it wouldnt be about the machine, it'd be about the tires, dave has some good swampers on his vinson, but it was the mucky clay stuff that turned his swampers into racing slicks. When we winched him out he was giving it some gas, and his atv didnt do anything until the tires were out of the water and were able to sling off some of the muck that was packed into his treads. (gotta love winches)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Hiram goes caching on the ATV. It was an awesome day out caching from Newport to Dover then around the Corrina Loop. The Corinna loop was a blast. It was about 14 miles and the landscape was amazing.

So what's the story with Bubba, Bubba and Clyde?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    it may not look like much, but a jeep would definitely not make it through, and it wouldnt be about the machine, it'd be about the tires, dave has some good swampers on his vinson, but it was the mucky clay stuff that turned his swampers into racing slicks. When we winched him out he was giving it some gas, and his atv didnt do anything until the tires were out of the water and were able to sling off some of the muck that was packed into his treads. (gotta love winches)

You should see the clay that is glued to the bottom of the atvs. It looks like we could soften it back up and make some great pottery with it. I unloaded them today and I think I may have to hose them off tomorrow. Some of the mud on them isnt even dry yet.

Geez... I'm sorry I missed that trip! Did you try to avoid those really big & obvious ruts or did you guys just dive right in?

A little birdie said someone had a little winch trouble, eh? Hopefully it isn't something really expensive!! Hiram's got to get on the ball and get one mounted up! We've got more riding to do and I can't be the only one with a working recovery device... LOL!
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?