vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Events

Default Events

As I am still relatively new, I was curious how many people out there have gone to some of the Mega-Events and do you strongly recommend them at some time? I don't see us being able to go to any events (unless they are local) until next year. My vacation time is pretty much used up.

What do they generally do at these "Mega-Events"?
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Smile They are what you make of them

I went to my second Geowoodstck this year which had roughly 3000 attendies. They had many different things to do from group caching to seminars to vendor tables. I got to catch up with some old friends and met many new ones. Did a bunch of caching and saw a part of the country I had never been to. Next years Geowoodstock will be in Tennessee and will also be my honeymoon. However if crowds isn't your thing then a mega may not be for you. I enjoy going and I hope they continue for many years.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I went to my second Geowoodstck this year which had roughly 3000 attendies. They had many different things to do from group caching to seminars to vendor tables. I got to catch up with some old friends and met many new ones. Did a bunch of caching and saw a part of the country I had never been to. Next years Geowoodstock will be in Tennessee and will also be my honeymoon. However if crowds isn't your thing then a mega may not be for you. I enjoy going and I hope they continue for many years.
    Agree with Mainiac1957 - these events can be crowded depending on the venue. The event in Quebec was much less croweded than GW5. I suspect TN will be crowded as they are taking over a town.

Being an outgoing person, willing to meet folks, helps. Also to plan your trip and make some contacts before you go - or know of other local folks you can spend some time with.

You can see other parts of the country and geogoods (coins and goodies) you would not ordinarily see. Start with some local events and then you might be able to make a better decision.

My daughter took a few days of her vacation so we could go up early for the Eustis event and enjoy the area more than for one day.

I have no problem with crowds. I like to think that all three of us (me, my wife, and son) are all fairly sociable. I just was not sure what kind of things they do at these functions. We do like to travel as well. So I think it would be a great experience!
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    As I am still relatively new, I was curious how many people out there have gone to some of the Mega-Events and do you strongly recommend them at some time? I don't see us being able to go to any events (unless they are local) until next year. My vacation time is pretty much used up.

What do they generally do at these "Mega-Events"?
    RULOST2? and I went to GeoWoodstock in North Carolina last year, and toRendezvous Quebec this summer. We had a great time.

I agree with the other comments, and want to mention that mega events are a GREAT opportunity to discover TB's and geocoins if you're into that.

One of the things for me that draws me to far away events, is the list of attendees. I look to see who will be there and then decide. I won't mention any names but the last couple that I have gone to, it was to meet a few people in particular. Of course, in the end, you end up meeting a lot of new people and start friendships that continue on for years to come.

Default I just want......

to collect the really cool "MEGA" icon. Events are always different, wether they are local or far off mega events. You hang around socializing and checking out all the new stuff like coins and pathtags, electronics, GPS'rs and new versions of software. You can always count on telling and listening to geocaching stories. Some of us have long time relationships and always enjoy running into these people at events. You never know who you are going to meet at an event.

Hope to see you at a local event soon.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    You never know who you are going to meet at an event.
    Yeah, like Signal!

A mega event is probably out of my reach (were saving up for a Disney trip, but looking at the economy lately, I might just keep the cash in a local bank) I just did my first local event and had a blast. We're planning on going to both events on 11/08/08 in Bangor
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    . . . However if crowds isn't your thing then a mega may not be for you. I enjoy going and I hope they continue for many years.
    And to think I was considering going to the one in Tennessee . . . and yes, I'm kidding.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."