vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Season

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I decided to pull a pocket query this morning, to see how many caches in Maine had the "hunting icon" listed on the cache page. I searched all Maine caches that are active, and the PQ only had 139 caches in the search.

I will have to revisit my own caches to see if there is hunting allowed in the area, and edit my page if necessary. I would ask that if you know the area where you placed your cache, allows hunting to do the same and utilize the icon.

When editing the attributes of your cache page you can only select that hunting is allowed in the area. You would need to write in your page description that,

Hunting is NOT allowed in the area of the cache

This might make your find more appealing to those who know it is hunting season.
    Sheesh! Why do I have the feeling that Team2HUNT is NOT a hunter? LOL!

Post years ago....

When I was growing up I used to hunt while living in Casco, next to what was then one of the largest deer herds in Maine. I was about 20 when one day I had a shot just miss me and hit a very nearby tree. It was a young man from out of state that had been separated from his hunting party. His bright idea was to squeeze off a shot so they could find him. They found him just before I was ready to strangle him. Accidents happen almost every year in the woods to someone while they are out hunting, and sometimes to innocent by-standers. Remember the woman that was shot while out hanging her laundry. Some please correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't that accident lead to the law that you cannot hunt within 1000' of a house. I just don't want anyone from the geocaching community to get hurt, or worse.

I have nothing against anyone who does choose to hunt.

Thanks, Bruce. For asking.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I used to be an avid hunter, mainly because I accompanied my Dad, and we had some great times together. I haven't hunted in a couple of years, and I think this is the first year I didn't even get a license. At age 86, my Dad doesn't hunt much anymore, and I can get great steaks at Hannaford or the local Sure Fine grocer cheaper than what it costs to have a deer butchered.

I'm glad that Maine requires "hunter safety" training before kids are allowed to get a license, but I wonder what other states require - and what Maine requires for "out of state" licenses.

As for the training required for out of state licenses, I'm not sure. All instate hunters are required to prove that they attended a hunters safety course. You are not allowed to hunt within 300' of a residence. You are not allowed to shoot over or within 50 yards of a public way. And not to really kick the hornets nest, but Maine averages one fatal hunting accident every two years. Maine averages 15 fatal snowmobile accidents every year. (www.maine.gov/difw) That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission )Wear a little orange, make lots of noise, I think that we will all be fine.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Maine averages 15 fatal snowmobile accidents every year. (www.maine.gov/difw) That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission

HAving a camp on a norhtern lake that is the connector for many ITS trails, I see alot of sledders go by the camp at mach speeds. Its a wonder there arent more deaths. I would rather take my risk with a gun nut anyday over a crazy dangerous sledder.

One of my theories is that any hunter who is dumb enough to shoot on impulse at a target he/she was unsure of is dumb enough to hunt in areas and at times not allowed for hunting anyway.

I heard an announcement on the radio the other day I found interesting as well. They were giving hunting tips for firearm season and suggesting that you walk in off a busy road until it's just out of sight and look for deer trails there. They claimed most bow hunters don't hunt those areas and the deer are used to the road noise so they would not be so easily spooked.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

As for the training required for out of state licenses, I'm not sure. All instate hunters are required to prove that they attended a hunters safety course. You are not allowed to hunt within 300' of a residence. You are not allowed to shoot over or within 50 yards of a public way. And not to really kick the hornets nest, but Maine averages one fatal hunting accident every two years. Maine averages 15 fatal snowmobile accidents every year. (www.maine.gov/difw) That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission )Wear a little orange, make lots of noise, I think that we will all be fine.
    I would be curious to know the ratio of hunters and sledders though . . . total number of hunters: fatalities to the total number of sledders: fatalities. I would suspect that there are a lot more sledders than hunters which may account for the higher numbers . . . then if you factor in the longer "season" for sledding.

. . . That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission ). . .
    Ah . . . I believe Hiram believes in this philosophy as well.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Ah . . . I believe Hiram believes in this philosophy as well.
    whaddya mean???? I have nothing to apologize for....

and if you want to buy an ATV or sled don't go with jake, he'll make you buy everything in sight!

BTW Jake, since this thread is about the huntin topic, you mentioned before the trails in thorndike/unity close to ATVs during hunting season (but open on sundays) when do they close, and are they still usable to gain access to the caches on those trails (without using an atv?)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    whaddya mean???? I have nothing to apologize for....

and if you want to buy an ATV or sled don't go with jake, he'll make you buy everything in sight!

BTW Jake, since this thread is about the huntin topic, you mentioned before the trails in thorndike/unity close to ATVs during hunting season (but open on sundays) when do they close, and are they still usable to gain access to the caches on those trails (without using an atv?)
    God love ya Hiram . . . incidentally how come there is no story of Sunday's ride . . . I've gotta live vicariously through you right now while I'm working like a madman winterizing the house, renovating the house and getting in my firewood.

Incidentally, in another few weeks I should have every other weekend more or less free for riding . . . or we can mount our one final cache adventure with Medawisla and finish off our maps . . . should be good for a day trip . . . if we can tear you away from the Poo-laris.

And incidentally, Josh says your snowmobile is ready to be picked up any time you want to swing by and grab it.

Thorndike Trails (not Troy trails) close during Deer Hunting Season (whenever that starts . . . and I'm talking firearms, not bow hunters) with the exception of Sundays. And I believe all of my caches (with the exception of one) are on the Troy Trail System so you can access them by ATV, foot or car.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default clarification.....

• Shooting within 100 yards of dwelling. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm or crossbow within 100 yards of a residential dwelling or a farm building used for sheltering livestock, machines, or harvested crops without permission from the owner, or in the owners absence, an adult occupant who dwells in that location.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.