vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm back

Hybrid View

Default I'm back

I haven't posted here for a while and am sorry but it seems like I'm just back to compain for a minute. Or maybe just get some feedback or others opinions. I'm starting to understand the viewpoint that brand newb cachers should not be hiders. Exhibit A :
    GCJ7ME Eastern Trail Cache
    Sure I'm a little to blame because I just trusted it was gonna be there. I just keep some traditionals loaded up just in case if I'm out I want to do a quickie. I didn't read the logs before I went out on my run today. It was convenient that this cache was on my running route so I just thought do the quick grab on the way.
    My experience of course was exactly the same as the last few loggers. It looks like a lot of people enjoyed this cache before it went missing (it was in a fairly obvious spot even to muggles and I can understand why it's gone). Cache owner has been inactive since '04 and only has 15 finds under their belt anyway. GRRRR. What do you guys do in this situation. Bring it to groundspeak's attention so it could be archived or poss adopted? People have been posting 'needs maintainance' since May. What's the next play?
    http://slimcache.blogspot.com
    SlimCache - My journey to become a healthier person through geocaching.

It seems pretty obvious that the owner is not involved in caching anymore.

I feel you should post a "should be archived" on the page and let the Maine reviewer take it from there.

Open the area up for someone else to place a cache.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Consider it done - I just did it. Perhaps Maine Publisher could enlighten us here on the difference between "needs maintenance" and the "should be archived". What they as publishers get notice of and what they don't.

A lot of maintenance in thousands of caches within a state and some understand and working together needed here. Some inherent risks too - in folks maintain a cache which is not theirs which perhaps MP could comment on as well.

By letting a cache get archived over the time period, it does open up the area for others who are active to place a cache. So there is a cost lost benefit ratio as I see it.

For the cache mention I have posted the "should be archived" so the clock is ticking. Sabby - you are more than right. Many "needs maintenance posts" with no answers - time to go bye, bye.

As if I don't have enough of my own caches to take care of!!!

My experience has been try contacting the owner first, give them a reasonable amount of time to respond, and if there's no response, contact the site to see if you can adopt it (if you want to, that is). That's how I got the one that I now own.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Perhaps Maine Publisher could enlighten us here on the difference between "needs maintenance" and the "should be archived". What they as publishers get notice of and what they don't.
    Great suggestion!

I have, I hate to admit, have replaced a cache (nano) for a cacher that is not geocaching any longer, so I could log a find! Now scores of geocachers have found it, after many DNFs before! I have it on my watch list and replace the log when needed....all incognito!....I'm not going to tell you what cache it is either! .....Hide_from_the_kids knows which one it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I have, I hate to admit, have replaced a cache (nano) for a cacher that is not geocaching any longer, so I could log a find! Now scores of geocachers have found it, after many DNFs before! I have it on my watch list and replace the log when needed....all incognito!....I'm not going to tell you what cache it is either! .....Hide_from_the_kids knows which one it is!
    you could say you kind of have a green thumb for caches!!

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    you could say you kind of have a green thumb for caches!!
    Yeah, he's a great farmer and knows his tractors too!

Is his Tractor Sexy??????????