vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Priceless

Default Funny vs. Offensive

I wish I could respond in such a manner as to put this to rest. I was ONLY TRYING TO BE FUNNY! I wasn't trying to offend anybody. If you can take anything from this dialogue it is that my post was misunderstood. If I was making a personal attack on any group in a mean spirited manner then hang me out to dry, kick me off this site, whatever.

This was not even close the Imus's remarks. The negative response to my efforts to generate a few laughs make me wonder if I should just not post anything in the future. Life is too short for this type of animosity.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I got the joke when you posted it. I guess you have to live in the south for a while to understand it. You just have to be careful because some people takes things serious sometimes.

With that said lets move on past this.
    Blazing Troll

I've never lived in the south nor do I actually know any of you to know your sense of humors as as I've only been to one event but I thought the post was great. People these days are waaaaaaaay to politically correct about every little thing. The world needs to lighten up or eventually will be completely mute as everyone will be afraid to speak and offend someone somewhere.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . what is funny to one, is offensive to others.
    Perpetuating stereotypes is always offensive. The fact that some find ethnic, racial or similar jokes funny does not make them appropriate in a public forum.

Gather 3 "rednecks" together to tell jokes, and they'll have a grand time laughing their butts off. But add a couple of African-Americans to that same group, and the jokes will not be funny to everyone.

In another thread, there was mention of moderators for the forums. I know that we do not currently have a moderator or I would asked that Dan's offensive "joke" be deleted with no further mention. But since it was out there in public, a joke about my wife and her family upset me and I needed to comment.

Thumbs down Not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Perpetuating stereotypes is always offensive. The fact that some find ethnic, racial or similar jokes funny does not make them appropriate in a public forum.
    I agree with you and I am not defending Dubords post by any means and maybe it was in poor taste but I’m tired of seeing flammatory posts coming from one of our very own advisory board…which might explain why you are able to get away with it time and time again and no one does anything about it.

Moderators are essential to a forum. Isn't that part of the job of an advisory board to monitor the content of posts? We don't allow spammers to post inappropriate content (their posts are automatically deleted) so why do we let our own members lash out at each other?

WhereRWe? I’ll bet if we went through all 3843 of your posts on this forum we would find many examples of rude, insulting and disrespectful posts that came directly from you so before you go and accuse others of being disrespectful…take a step back and reflect on some of your own posts over the years. You may be enlightened. How does that saying go? “do as I say, not as I do”

We all need to remember that everyone has different sensitivity levels…. Some of us have thick skin and others are very sensitive so before you start typing away…..really think about what you are about to say and if people will find it offensive.

This forum is supposed to be about finding plastic in “ them thar hills”.

I mean really…. how serious can we take eachother?
    Lighten up everybody and lets move on!
    Last edited by Foxgloves; 10-21-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typos
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

If I see or read something I feel is wrong or offensive. I change the channel.

Default Mission accomplished!

We have finished the serious driving and will be heading home tomorrow. Will get a few local Louisville caches tonight including one at Churchill Downs.

The rental car was a Pontiac G6 and was very comfortable and got about 26 mpg. The motels were all clean and comfortable and the highways generally very easy to drive.

No big numbers, we have 26 finds in nine states. The favorite cache was a Tribute Cache to Booker Noe in Clermont, KY. Booker was master distiller at Jim Beam and the cache is near a statue honoring him. We took the distillery tour, sampled some great bourbon, found the cache and I launched two new travel bugs there.

All in all a great trip. Picked up some ideas for caches, but did not see any hides that surprised us.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    We have finished the serious driving and will be heading home tomorrow. Will get a few local Louisville caches tonight including one at Churchill Downs.

The rental car was a Pontiac G6 and was very comfortable and got about 26 mpg. The motels were all clean and comfortable and the highways generally very easy to drive.

No big numbers, we have 26 finds in nine states. The favorite cache was a Tribute Cache to Booker Noe in Clermont, KY. Booker was master distiller at Jim Beam and the cache is near a statue honoring him. We took the distillery tour, sampled some great bourbon, found the cache and I launched two new travel bugs there.

All in all a great trip. Picked up some ideas for caches, but did not see any hides that surprised us.

lexmano, you're a bit off topic for this thread, try to be a little more courteous...

I hope you took lots of pictures! I'm jealous of the distillery tour! (keep us posted on the rest of your adventure!)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post

Hey Ed, eat any scrapple or grits? I personally love both! I put an easyover egg on cheese grits with hot sauce over it all! Yummy! Oh, and a slice of Shu-Fly Pie for desert; if you please! For years I thought scrapple was a type of spicy sausage patty! No matter it's great! America's a version of Hagus.

Red face a personal apology

To Lexmano for helping to take his innocent thread about his upcoming travels, off-topic. For this I am truly sorry. Hope you are having a wonderful, safe and happy caching trip. As I have had a few road trips with friends the adventure and stories can last for years. See you at an upcoming event.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.