vb:literal>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Hybrid View

Default Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

The time has come for Geocaching Maine members to decide whether they would like to retain the current board members for another term or if there should be a new election held to refresh some or all of the board members as specified in the Advisory Board Eligibility and Terms.

Members should use the next few weeks to discuss this and ask any questions not answered in the Advisory Board Eligibility and Terms. There will be a poll running from November 10th to November 25th which will be used to decide if we will hold elections or not.

This upcoming poll is only to decide if elections will be held. In the event it is decided to hold elections, a new vote will be taken at that time. Now is not the time to nominate anyone for the board.

Please keep this thread on topic.

All comments are a collaborative effort of the board members.

I Feel The Board Has Done A Great Job. Which Means No Replacements Are Needed. If Someone Needs To Step Down For Untold Reasons Then By All Means We Should Fill The Spot But Things Seem Good As They Are. Keep Up The Great Work.

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    I Feel The Board Has Done A Great Job. Which Means No Replacements Are Needed. If Someone Needs To Step Down For Untold Reasons Then By All Means We Should Fill The Spot But Things Seem Good As They Are. Keep Up The Great Work.
    I saw Brdad's comments, but just to refresh everyone's memory...

Original Advisory Board members elected were:

WhereRWe?
    Brdad
    ATtroll
    TAT
    Beach Comber

Beach Comber resigned for personal reasons, and the Advisory Board picked Haffy to replace her. When Haffy became an expatriate, the Advisory Board chose Sudonim as the 5th member.

Current Advisory Board members:

WhereRWe?
    Brdad
    Attroll
    TAT
    Sudonim

The Advisory Board members are NOT "officers" of the organization. The board was established as a decision making body which would step in as required - such as when debate on a Maine geocoin design showed no sign of ending. We Have no mandate to DO anything. We react when someone makes a suggestion - sometimes not quite as fast as one or two members would prefer, but... Keep in mind that GeocachingMaine.org is not a formal organization.

Being the first board, in my opinion our biggest accomplishment was learning how to work together, how big a presence the board should have, and eligibility and terms for the board, and as WhereRWe? noted, deciding what to do when someone steps down.

Outside of that, we have discussed several topics that may or may not be considered accomplishments. Many are ongoing and ever changing issues that have no formal ending. These topics included spam posts, moderation, thread deletion, site promotion, funding, bandwidth, raffles, handling announcements to the fora as a group, and more.

We also got the newsletter and email notifications up and running, which is a good addition to the site. Fortunately we found someone well qualified to get the newsletters together every month!

I will also second WhereRWe?'s statement that the board did not want to have any bigger presence than necessary.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Lightbulb paraphrasing part of the post....

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post

The Advisory Board members are NOT "officers" of the organization. The board was established as a decision making body which would step in as required - such as when debate on a Maine geocoin design showed no sign of ending. We Have no mandate to DO anything. We react when someone makes a suggestion - sometimes not quite as fast as one or two members would prefer, but... Keep in mind that GeocachingMaine.org is not a formal organization.
    I'm not so sure I am completely comfortable with the statement.." We have no mandate to DO anything. " I always thought that someone, ( meaning the board ) would stand up for geocaching in Maine and help to promote the good stewardship that Steph mentioned. I know that FFJ has in the past but what about the future. If there is not mandate to DO anything, then why do we have or need an advisory board anyways.
    If the current board does not want to help promote geocaching in Maine, the way it should be.....then maybe we need to elect new board members.

Or maybe we just need to change what the board does?
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I'm not so sure I am completely comfortable with the statement.." We have no mandate to DO anything. " I always thought that someone, ( meaning the board ) would stand up for geocaching in Maine and help to promote the good stewardship that Steph mentioned. I know that FFJ has in the past but what about the future. If there is not mandate to DO anything, then why do we have or need an advisory board anyways.
    If the current board does not want to help promote geocaching in Maine, the way it should be.....then maybe we need to elect new board members.

Or maybe we just need to change what the board does?
    I am echoing the sentiment of the GCM.org members when the Advisory Board was set up. History: Several long-time GCM.org members got together and held a discussion of the direction of GCM.org, if we needed to have a formal organization, and if so, what it should be like. We held another, well advertised, discussion at a geocaching event where our feelings , where the current board "mission" was agreed upon.

Again, I state that the Advisory Board has no mandate to do anything. It was established as a facilitator. This is what the GCM.org members wanted.

And I feel save, speaking for the board, that promoting geocaching in Maine would be one of our most important functions. And we're doing that. We're currently discussing the restrictions on caches in the Appalacian Trail, and what approach to it should be. I personally send a welcome message to each new member of GCM.org, and have had long email exchanges with many, answering questions and offering advice.

We're always open to other ideas and suggestions from GCM.org members.

Default Who are they?

I don't even know who are our current board members are....
    Can someone list them so we know?

"It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

The current board members are, in alphabetical order...

attroll
    brdad
    Tat
    Sudonim
    WhereRWe?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    I don't even know who are our current board members are....
    Can someone list them so we know?
    And how bout a list of things that have been accomplished since begining their terms in office? We don't hear from them often and some of the newer members probably don't even know we have a board.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.