vb:literal>

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Hi folks.....I just read through this entire exchange and wanted to respond to something on each of the pages but kept reading through. Several things come to mind.

First: it would appear that, although most comments are very positive regarding the advisory board, there is enough there to warrant holding new elections. That would put all of this to rest. I think the current board might be re-elected, but it would give a chance for others to apply. I also have the opinion that the current rules favor the seated board, heavily favoring the status quo. And don't get me wrong, this might be a good thing.

Second: Thanks, TAT, for the thread that gives us the insight to the history of the group. It shows that a few of you stood around one day and said "Gee, do you suppose we should organize into a group?" It was clear from the start that there would be no dues, no mandatory meetings, no fines for not showing up, etc. Just a web site that people could go to and share ideas about geocaching.....a resource site that all could share and benefit from. Kudos to you all for making that happen.

Third: Rick's (ATTROLL) contributions to this website have been immense. I think he should be named an advisory member emeritus. Let's face it....Geocachingmaine.org is not a company with employees, it's not a community service group with a secret handshake, it's a web site that we go to to share ideas. The webmaster is all-important and the rest of you are....well....you could be any one of us.

Fourth: I respect the wisdom of the current advisory board members. Your experience level with geocaching shows and I have taken your advice on a number of occasions. But I'll also say that the comments from Opalsns and Fins2Right on this thread have been right on. I laugh to myself and walk away at some of the geoevents that I attend when I overhear some of the conversations of the super veteran cachers. New GPS comes out....ooops, throw my current GPS away and run to buy the new one and then spend hours trying to overcome the bugs in the system. And while you're all standing there trying to beam to each other the latest and greatest technology I'll take out my compass and go and find the cache. I know I'm a neanderthal, but the point of this is that there are many, many people on geocachingmaine.org who still like the thrill of going out and finding a cache (including me), not just thinking they have the latest technology. The input from members like that will reflect the feelings of many more members of geocachingmaine.org than those who have a vehicle dashboard filled with laptop computers, TomToms, and ipods, etc. Please pay attention to this.

Fifth: While I'm at it, let me say that any geocacher who has a cell phone that is programed to sound off the instant that a new cache is published should be shot! When I fish I use a fly, or I troll....but I never use a hand grenade to increase my chances of getting a fish. Those of you who know me realize I love a FTF! But I'm embarassed for those who have their cell phones programmed for this and then get up from bed and chase after a cache....leaving their job or significant other behind to suffer in their absence, and then claim their astoundment that it's a FTF. You know who you are.

All of this is directed at finding the right mix of people to serve on the advisory board that represent those of us who visit and become a part of geocachingmaine.org. I'd like to thank those of you who are currently on the advisory board.....I've enjoyed coming here for advice. I hope the future board reflects the current membership of geocachingmaine.org.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Third: Rick's (ATTROLL) contributions to this website have been immense. I think he should be named an advisory member emeritus. Let's face it....Geocachingmaine.org is not a company with employees, it's not a community service group with a secret handshake, it's a web site that we go to to share ideas. The webmaster is all-important and the rest of you are....well....you could be any one of us.
    As webmaster, Rick would always be part of the board until he desired or needed to put full control over to someone else. As webmaster, his input has been required on all of the discussions we have had so far. But doesn't "emeritus" mean retired?

As far as the rest of us could be anyone - I can agree with that. In my opinion the biggest factors that I have seen make a good board member for this site are having the time to pay attention to what's happening on the site, and the ability to work together and compromise with the other board members. While I think the current board as well as the retired board members have those qualifications, so would a large percentage of those who read and post to these fora on a regular basis.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    In my opinion the biggest factors that I have seen make a good board member for this site are having the time to pay attention to what's happening on the site, and the ability to work together and compromise with the other board members.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE RUDE BUT HAS ANYONE NOTICED OR PAYED ATTENTION TO THE HAPPENINGS OF A MEMBER BEING PUSHED AWAY FROM THIS SITE? IS THIS HOW WE PROMOTE THE SITE TO BE WELCOMING TO ALL GEOCACHERS?

I agree. The person being driven away is a very bright, very productive and valued member of our Maine geocaching community. I contacted this cacher personally and asked him to continue being a part of geocachingmaine.org and his reply indicated that he had been trashed in pm's by a member of the advisory board to the point that he no longer wished to continue participating here. I have no idea what the pm's contained. But perhaps the board can investigate and, if this is true, at least one person should step down. It may all be a misunderstanding (I hope so) but it should be looked into, at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE RUDE BUT HAS ANYONE NOTICED OR PAYED ATTENTION TO THE HAPPENINGS OF A MEMBER BEING PUSHED AWAY FROM THIS SITE? IS THIS HOW WE PROMOTE THE SITE TO BE WELCOMING TO ALL GEOCACHERS?
    I think we have all seen what has happened recently. A disagreement between two members of the site with different experiences and opinions. I think it's too bad that one person decided to leave the group over it. I personally do not believe that it is an indication of an attitude of the group or what any of us wanted to see happen. Strong disagreements on these forums do not cast this site in a good light, however, with a group this big and diverse, there WILL be disagreements. Recognizing that the web is a hard place to discern peoples intent and tone, I think we all need to show a little extra understanding of each other. At a face-to-face interaction, its easy to correct yourself if someone you are speaking to takes what you say in a negative way. On a forum, it can fester or blow up rapidly, sometimes to a point where feelings get hurt quickly. Anyone that has spent time on a forum has seen this.
    When these flare-ups happen, I try to take both sides with a grain of salt, but it isn't always easy to do.
    Please don't think that this was a board to individual interaction, but two people expressing their feelings and opinions in a public venue. I was sorry to see the decision that Dan took, but that is his decision to make. I hope that he finds his way back here, but respect his decision if he does not.

I Hope That Dan Makes The Decision To Come Back And I Hope That Other Members Of This Group Agree, Even Those Members Who Might Of Had A Flare Up With Him.

Just for your FYI, This goes on in ANY forum. I sold a coin to a cacher in Hawaii and we compared notes on Caching Clubs and he said they go through the same thing!!!
    I didn't know anyone left because of the board, too bad for us. If it was Dubard Dan, then we lost a good, smart man, that had good opinions.
    But in the same breath, I can't believe someone would leave because of Challenges or Comments from the board. He should have POSTED the PM comments made to him!!!! THat would have Shut someone up!!!!!!I say, BRING IT ON !!!!! The board does NOT represent the cachers on this site. Besides Rick, I don't see the need for the Board!! Sorry
    Come on back Dubord. I'll be your body guard!!!!!!!! insert smiley face here
    Opalsns

I found the thread that said Duboard was leaving. THIS IS SAD. Shame on the Board members who attacked him. So what if he says he's a Lawyer in 90% of his posts, I'm a painter PAINTER!!! FFJ is a FIREFIGHTER!!!!!!! Dave is a TEACHER!!!!! Hollora is a GRANDMOTHER !!!!!!!!!BIG STINKING DEAL...WE have all done something in our lives that could be benifical to the site, You don't have to be a WORLD TRAVELER to KNOW IT ALL!!!!!
    I will promise to ANYONE that sends me a degrading PM, .. I WILL POST IT!!!!!!!!!
    Peace and Love,
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    I Hope That Dan Makes The Decision To Come Back And I Hope That Other Members Of This Group Agree, Even Those Members Who Might Of Had A Flare Up With Him.
    I have no desire to see Dan leave - indeed I wish he'd come back. I never "trashed" him either publicly or privately, and feel this entire situation is completely out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    I will promise to ANYONE that sends me a degrading PM, .. I WILL POST IT!!!!!!!!!
    Again, I never sent anyone a "degrading PM". I just sent the entire exchange of PM's between Dubord and myself to a person whose judgment I trust, and who I believe would be trusted by most other members of GCM.org. I'll post this person's opinion about the exchange when I get a response.

Again, the idea that I "trashed" anyone is false.