vb:literal>

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We have had moderators in the past - Attroll, the webmaster is the only one who knows who they were - but we don't have one right now. The Advisory Board supports having moderators, but it is up to Rick to pick someone who he trusts to make good judgments and have access to the internal website.
    I will make an amendment to that comment that Rick was the only one who knew who the moderators were. It wasn't any secret that Cameo and myself at one point were moderators on this site but because of some misunderstandings at one point we decided to step down and make the site self moderating and from what I have seen it has worked out ok. Not perfect but ok. Just thought I would clarify that one statement of WhereRWe.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I will make an amendment to that comment that Rick was the only one who knew who the moderators were. It wasn't any secret that Cameo and myself at one point were moderators on this site but because of some misunderstandings at one point we decided to step down and make the site self moderating and from what I have seen it has worked out ok. Not perfect but ok. Just thought I would clarify that one statement of WhereRWe.
    People need to speak for themselves and only themselves.

Haffy, I appreciate that you attempted to clarify, but plain and simple, its not the whole story.

There are a few that know my story, and I choose to leave it that way.

If anyone is interested in the past, look at this thread I have referenced often; not only to try to see what the membership’s ideas were, but also to see what I and the other successful candidates promised. I think we did follow through with what we said. It was unclear if the members even wanted any organization at all and most did not want dues, rules any kind of formal bureaucracy.

To use an analogy:

We started with an old Maine camp that was well used. It was rowdy at times a bit too free-wheeling for some. Now, we still have an old Maine camp. We have more fun and less problems. Most come here to stage an outdoor adventure or tell tales when they get back.

We do not live in one of those gated communities with rules, regulations, dues and politics. If you want to take on a project, fine. We’ll provide any advice and support we can. If not, that's fine too.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We have had moderators in the past - Attroll, the webmaster is the only one who knows who they were - but we don't have one right now. The Advisory Board supports having moderators, but it is up to Rick to pick someone who he trusts to make good judgments and have access to the internal website.
    I have someone I am going to work with shortly when I get some spare time. I am just to busy right now. I believe this person will be very dependable and is very honest and straight forward. I have always confided in them in the past over geocaching and web site issues.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    To use an analogy:

We started with an old Maine camp that was well used. It was rowdy at times a bit too free-wheeling for some. Now, we still have an old Maine camp. We have more fun and less problems. Most come here to stage an outdoor adventure or tell tales when they get back.

We do not live in one of those gated communities with rules, regulations, dues and politics. If you want to take on a project, fine. We’ll provide any advice and support we can. If not, that's fine too.

nice analogy
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Heads Up

I feel that one function of the advisory board should be to focus on geocachingmaine.org member retention. The board at this time has a wonderful opportunity to step up and begin interacting with everyone on this site to ensure that they will stick around and continue to provide valuable insight to the website.

I have had several fellow geocachers email me and tell me that they have either left or are thinking of leaving the website due to the content lately.

To ensure a happy and productive website, it's essential to have a variety of input from all spectrums. If the board feels that they "didn't know" about people being upset lately, my thought would be that they haven't read every post on the board, another essential part of being a well informed advisory board member.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I feel that one function of the advisory board should be to focus on geocachingmaine.org member retention. The board at this time has a wonderful opportunity to step up and begin interacting with everyone on this site to ensure that they will stick around and continue to provide valuable insight to the website.

I have had several fellow geocachers email me and tell me that they have either left or are thinking of leaving the website due to the content lately.

To ensure a happy and productive website, it's essential to have a variety of input from all spectrums. If the board feels that they "didn't know" about people being upset lately, my thought would be that they haven't read every post on the board, another essential part of being a well informed advisory board member.
    Agreed . . . a troubling trend as of late.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

If anyone is interested in the past, look at this thread I have referenced often; not only to try to see what the membership’s ideas were, but also to see what I and the other successful candidates promised. I think we did follow through with what we said. It was unclear if the members even wanted any organization at all and most did not want dues, rules any kind of formal bureaucracy.

To use an analogy:

Maybe we should upgrade to a time share.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have someone I am going to work with shortly when I get some spare time. I am just to busy right now. I believe this person will be very dependable and is very honest and straight forward. I have always confided in them in the past over geocaching and web site issues.
    Tink?

To use an analogy:

Thanks, TAT. I just read the first couple of pages of comments, but it reinforces what I've been saying: the Advisory Board was established with the idea that it was not a "leadership", but a facilitator for the group.

And the analogy was great! LOL!