vb:literal>

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I feel that one function of the advisory board should be to focus on geocachingmaine.org member retention. The board at this time has a wonderful opportunity to step up and begin interacting with everyone on this site to ensure that they will stick around and continue to provide valuable insight to the website.

I have had several fellow geocachers email me and tell me that they have either left or are thinking of leaving the website due to the content lately.

To ensure a happy and productive website, it's essential to have a variety of input from all spectrums. If the board feels that they "didn't know" about people being upset lately, my thought would be that they haven't read every post on the board, another essential part of being a well informed advisory board member.

I joined this side in 2007 and lurked for a long time before posting a few months ago. This may have to do a lot with my comfort level with technology, which isn't very high. It's hard for me to believe that people get so insulted by things on this post. I work with teens who post constantly (creating a lot of poor social situations) and the language and insults they trade online would turn your hair gray (Mine is getting there) One of the things I've been taught is how teens live online and take everything personally. One of the lessons I try to teach is that things online should be taken with a grain of salt, and the meaning off those posts does should not rise to the level of insult. You cannot compare what is going on in sites like Myspace and Facebook to the comments left on here. Perhaps I'm thick skinned (being called "pig" at the Bob-in a few thousand times will do that to a man) but I have not seen anything here that anyone should take to heart. If there are misunderstandings perhaps one should take the time to PM someone and try to work out the issue. Otherwise, this should be taken for what it is, an entertaining way to connect with others and share in the hobby of Geocaching. This is a fantastic way for me to de-stress and share my thoughts with people that I would never get a chance to otherwise. If you are approaching this at a level where you could get insulted, it's time for some self examination. People are going to enter and leave any type of organization for reasons that are thier own. I just hope that it would be for good reasons, not mispercieved insults. You want to feel an insult personally, have a lawyer call you a liar on the stand. Now, bring on the critics!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    If anyone is interested in the past, look at this threadWe do not live in one of those gated communities with rules, regulations, dues and politics. If you want to take on a project, fine. We’ll provide any advice and support we can. If not, that's fine too.
    I'm with tat...

I've been to one event, found a few caches, post when I feel I can contribute, contribute to GCM (as a website not as an organization!!!) and glean information from the website posts as I see fit. To me geocaching, and GCM, is a fun pursuit when I have the opportunity. I am not looking to belong to a socio-political organization with geocaching as a front.

I feel that the forum is very well self-policed for the most part. Moderators are not always the answer, it's the members on the site who police themselves that make this site work. If you need to see a website (and please don't take any offense Rick) that is very well moderated but would fail with self-policing, then spend some time on whiteblaze.net. If there is a need for the advisory board to step in I'm confident that they will and therefore I'm agreeable to the current board for as long as they choose to serve.

As always, I'll drink a toast to Rick (and buy him one if we ever get together) and the time he puts in to this website.

--Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    If you are approaching this at a level where you could get insulted, it's time for some self examination. People are going to enter and leave any type of organization for reasons that are thier own. I just hope that it would be for good reasons, not mispercieved insults. You want to feel an insult personally, have a lawyer call you a liar on the stand. Now, bring on the critics!
    Self examination? I disagree. I'm probably more sensitive than most, and definitely more outspoken, so when someone insults me, I'm going to respond.

Sorry.

I repeat, and will keep repeating: making jokes about racial, ethnic or other stereotypes is NOT acceptable.

And I'm certainly not going to criticize you - you have just as much right to speak your mind as I do.

Default never go into the future without knowing the past

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    If anyone is interested in the past, look at this thread I have referenced often; not only to try to see what the membership’s ideas were, but also to see what I and the other successful candidates promised. I think we did follow through with what we said. It was unclear if the members even wanted any organization at all and most did not want dues, rules any kind of formal bureaucracy.
    Thanks for posting TAT. It's good to know where we started from.

That said, it seems like there's enough folks who express interest in being a little bit more than what we are now but maybe not as political/organized as some folks fear. I think there's enough who've mentioned they'd like to see some change that holding elections would be the right thing to do.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    I feel that one function of the advisory board should be to focus on geocachingmaine.org member retention. The board at this time has a wonderful opportunity to step up and begin interacting with everyone on this site to ensure that they will stick around and continue to provide valuable insight to the website.

I have had several fellow geocachers email me and tell me that they have either left or are thinking of leaving the website due to the content lately.

To ensure a happy and productive website, it's essential to have a variety of input from all spectrums. If the board feels that they "didn't know" about people being upset lately, my thought would be that they haven't read every post on the board, another essential part of being a well informed advisory board member.
    I agree to this concept. I have always pushed for site content to help retain members. I have tried to get members to add their content and ideas to the web site, yet very few have followed through. When it comes to the fora, it's a tough job to retain members. The board has no control over what is posted. If there is no moderation and member A offends member B, there is a chance member B will leave. If there is moderation, member A may get upset and leave. Often there is a happy medium, but sometimes that is not the case. I imagine you have witnessed some of that.

As far as reading all the threads, I do try but the number of posts are growing fast. And I probably am one of the board members that spend the most time here, outside of Bruce possibly. We do have lives outside of this web site, and sometimes we miss threads we should not have. Oftentimes, if one board member sees something important, they will mention it to the other board members. And I am not sure a new board will help with that, unless you make sure to elect people who spend 16-18 hours on the site.

What I'd really like to see is more members get involved. They can even post in the "Feedback to board members" area with their ideas for site promotion, member recruitment and retention, fund raising ideas, site content etc. The board is no smarter or capable than the membership. Their only advantage is with only 5 members, most of the time they can make a decision quicker. Why rely on 5 people to come up with good ideas, when there are 1500 members from all walks of life with many different talents and visions?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    . . . I work with teens who post constantly (creating a lot of poor social situations) and the language and insults they trade online would turn your hair gray (Mine is getting there) . . .
    At least you have hair . . . I think my wife is pulling mine out while I sleep at night since I seem to be getting a bit sparse on top.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Well,
    If there is going to be a vote, Maybe this would be a good time for all the board members to do what Brad just did, Let US know how They feel about Their own accomplishments as a board member and why they would like to remain a board member.
    Opalsns

If I am voted as a board member, I promise to find out who this Brad guy is! Rick keeps referring to him, too!

(My name is Dave, and my nick is brdad = Brian's dad)

I'd rather see this thread stick to whether or not we should hold an election, and not have anyone campaigning unless it is to back up their feeling we should keep the current board.

My intention was less of campaigning, but more of stressing the membership can make a bigger difference in the content and success of the site than the board ever will, whoever those members are.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post

I'd rather see this thread stick to whether or not we should hold an election, and not have anyone campaigning unless it is to back up their feeling we should keep the current board.
    I agree. The Board members basically do the same thing - we discuss issues and make a decision as to how we're going to act. We have our own contributions to the site, but not specifically as Board members: Brdad provides stats and caching information, TAT is the Maine Cache Approver and provides insight into GCM.org policies, I interact with newcomers and answer questions, and Attroll maintains the web site.

Default Don't forget Andy!

And Sudonim, who has helped a ton with the Geocoins!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!