vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cache question

Default cache question

I have placed a cache that apparantly, people have not enjoyed because of trash in the area. I feel, personally, very bad about this as this was not my intention. When I found the spot it was not filled with trash, but apparantly there is much trash in the surrounding area. I think local teens may hang out there at night, not sure though.

I'm wondering what should be done--should I archive the cache or try to find a new place for it in the same general area? I'm worried that where I didn't see any of the trash in the first place if a new spot in the same area would be any better.

It just makes me feel bad to get emails about people almost hating the cache when I was so excited to place it and thought it was a pretty good area.

Has anyone else had a situation like this and how did you handle it?

Wow, that's tough. I was about to grab a cache in Vassalboro recently when I read the logs calling it a "trash cache". I decided not to go out to that area. One of my caches is in an area that has been a little wet this year (due to one or two rain storms ) and i'm thinking of moving it. To be honest, I carry a small CITO bag with me, but I'm not prepared to pick up mattresses or large amounts of bottles ect. I think if people were writing in the logs that they dislike the cache due to the trash, I'd move it to a different spot and repost the coordinates.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Unfortunatly, this is becoming more and more of a problem.The summer comes and brings out the pigs!!! You can only imagine what their houses look like!!!We did a cache in a park and found a needle on the ground. Options, well, you could put a trash barrell in thay area and hope for the best. Put alot of cito bags in your cache, I pick up trash when I have a trash bag with me. Grab some dirt in a bucket and cover the STUFF that will go back to nature. I wouldn't move the cache unless it was very close to the trash area. If it's close, those morons will muggle it anyway.
    Grab a couple of family members or fellow cachers and give it a once over. There are things that can be done if you want to keep the cache there.
    Good Luck,
    Opalsns

Depending on the location and who the property owner is, you could have a CITO event or find someone active in the community to help organize a clean up.

Again, depending on the location, if it is a hangout, you might consider alerting the authorities.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    I have placed a cache that apparantly, people have not enjoyed because of trash in the area. I feel, personally, very bad about this as this was not my intention. When I found the spot it was not filled with trash, but apparantly there is much trash in the surrounding area. I think local teens may hang out there at night, not sure though.

I'm wondering what should be done--should I archive the cache or try to find a new place for it in the same general area? I'm worried that where I didn't see any of the trash in the first place if a new spot in the same area would be any better.

It just makes me feel bad to get emails about people almost hating the cache when I was so excited to place it and thought it was a pretty good area.

Has anyone else had a situation like this and how did you handle it?
    Tough call . . . I know I personally try to look beyond the trash in an area if it is a good spot (i.e. great views, historical area) since I figure the cacher probably didn't deliberately bring me to a trash-strewn spot with the sole intent of showcasing the trash.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Unfortunatly, this is becoming more and more of a problem.The summer comes and brings out the pigs!!! You can only imagine what their houses look like!!!We did a cache in a park and found a needle on the ground. Options, well, you could put a trash barrell in thay area and hope for the best. Put alot of cito bags in your cache, I pick up trash when I have a trash bag with me. Grab some dirt in a bucket and cover the STUFF that will go back to nature. I wouldn't move the cache unless it was very close to the trash area. If it's close, those morons will muggle it anyway.
    Grab a couple of family members or fellow cachers and give it a once over. There are things that can be done if you want to keep the cache there.
    Good Luck,
    Opalsns
    While it's commendable to pick up trash that other slobs have strewn about . . . I would not pick up any needles found in an area. Instead alert the local 911 Dispatch (you can call the non-emergency line) and let them know . . . most folks will dispatch a public safety professional to properly dispose of this "medical" bio-hazard.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I hate what I call "dump" caches, and I leave "nasty" logs when I find them. These are not to be confused with "trash" sites. People are always dropping trash here and there and there are also the infamous "toilet" sites (that's another discussion). What I call dump sites are places that have buried trash IE: rusty cans, broken bottles, old shoes, used diapers and the like. Sometimes I feel bad leaving a note about a spot being a dump cache, when I find out my GPS was off and putting me in the wrong spot. But if I ever find a cache in a real bad "dump" I always leave a negative log. If it's real bad I'd leave a "Needs Archiving" log. If it's only trash left in the area, I CITO, and don't say a thing in the log.
    The cache I DNF'd yesterday was behind a cemetery and had the normal "behind the cemetery" trash; like flower containers and plastic flowers. The problem was there was broken bottles and rusty cans as well as a distinct odor of human feces! Yuck! Oh yeah, did I mention snakes!...there were a bunch of Garden Snakes all tangled and seething about under a broken bottle! (snakes not cache owners fault!)
    I'm sorry, but the owner shouldn't feel alone. Quite a few other well known geocachers have gotten "nasty dump cache" logs from me.

Default if you really love the area

clean it up the best you can and post an owner maintenance log so others will see that you have made an effort to maintain the cache. If I see the icon for needs maintenance and cannot find an owner log that it has been taken care of, I usually just avoid the area. Wait and see what happens. If the area becomes trashy again it might be time to move it, or archive it. Then the challenge begins to find another lovely spot for a hide.

At least you care about the cache you have placed. Good luck!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

i would see what you could do to better the site. maybe talk to the caretakers of the cemetery and see what you and them can do to clean it up and then see what precautionary steps could be taken to help keep it cleaner like a trash barrel and maybe a no dumping sign. some towns will put these signs up in trouble areas to help deter any further dumpings. sometimes you don't know what the area brings or what is under the top layer. i placed a cache a few weeks ago and it has been logged four or five times but not one of the cachers has said anything about the furniture that was dumped there. a friend called me (a non-cacher) and told me that the night of the day i placed my cache someone dumped a couch and a couple of chairs nearby. i made a call to the local dump and they said they would pick it up at there convience. i would suggest to other cachers to bring gloves with you. don't be discouraged by what others say just use it to the positive. you didn't know about the dumpings now you do. try cleaning before archiving or moving the cache. this is a place you found unique and thats what it should stay. by being proactive about it will not only help you but other cachers trying to make a difference as well.

It seems it was my log entry that prompted this thread. I have gone back and read the past logs for that cache and found that my GPSr was probably putting me in the wrong place. I owe the cache owner an apology. I have also left a note on the logs to indicate this as well. Sorry about that. Maybe moving the cache just a little further away from where it is now and new coords will help. It seems others have found that dump as well.