vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When should you DNF?

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    What's the consensus when you don't find what's listed as an active cache, the owner checks it the next day, says it's missing and tells you to log a find because you looked in the correct place for a cache gone missing?
    funny you should mention that, as Maniac and I had a similar experience, we logged a DNF, then that same day someone posted it as a find because the cache owner told them they were "in the right spot" and the cache was missing...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    funny you should mention that, as Maniac and I had a similar experience, we logged a DNF, then that same day someone posted it as a find because the cache owner told them they were "in the right spot" and the cache was missing...
    Right you are young Jedi Cache Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    What's the consensus when you don't find what's listed as an active cache, the owner checks it the next day, says it's missing and tells you to log a find because you looked in the correct place for a cache gone missing?
    Pretty much with no exception for me is. If I didn't sign or at least see the log I will not mark it as found. And not seeing the cache at all is definitely a no find situation.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Pretty much with no exception for me is. If I didn't sign or at least see the log I will not mark it as found. And not seeing the cache at all is definitely a no find situation.
    I agree. RULOST2? and I certainly would like to have logged a find for the only cache we were able to look for in Morocco, but...

Only 2 people looked for it, no finds, and the cache was eventually archived.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Right you are young Jedi Cache Master

I wonder if it's starting to become a more common practice? To each his own on how they play the game, but I think that kinda creates a gray area...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Gray area ,shmay area!!! the way I look at it is, if you don't find the cache it's a DNF. I don't care what the owner says, I didn't sign the log so no find for me. That's the way I play the game.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Gray area ,shmay area!!! the way I look at it is, if you don't find the cache it's a DNF. I don't care what the owner says, I didn't sign the log so no find for me. That's the way I play the game.
    I agree...This summer I actually had my hand on a cache and about to pull it out of its hiding spot when I was attacked by a swam of very angry bees. I waited a long time for them to calm down, but everytime I tried to get near the site I would get "buzzed". I thought that since I was stung and had my hand on the cache I should get to post a find, but I decided that since I did not sign the log the right thing to do was to post a DNF and tell my story.
    Last edited by al'Thor; 11-01-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I don't know how to spell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post
    I agree...This summer I actually had my hand on a cache and about to pull it out of its hiding spot when I was attacked by a swam of very angry bees. I waited a long time for them to calm down, but everytime I tried to get near the site I would get "buzzed". I thought that since I was stung and had my hand on the cache I should get to post a find, but I decided that since I did not sign the log the right thing to do was to post a DNF and tell my story.
    I think that should count as a find. If you have placed your hand on a cache and were driven away by bees ( I hate stinging insects) that is not your fault. You've found the cache. I would not consider that to be different than hiking into a cache and discovering that you lost your pen. I found a cache in late March of this year that I could not sign. That would be because the cache was buried under 6 inches of the clearest ice I have seen. I did not have the ice auger required to get it, but I was able to see it and place my hand within 6 inches of it. (That was frustrating, but made a cool photo) I found the cache, I claimed the cache, and I went in about a month later and signed it when I was in the area.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

We log DNFs for caches that we feel we spend a bit of time searching for and come up empty handed on. We don't log dnfs if we do a half hearted search and can't spend the time we would like to do a thorough search. We actually have a public bookmark list of them. We only take caches off the list when we find them or they get archived.
    As far as logging a cache we "only touch or see" we log it only of we sign it. But to each their own.

On another note how about logging a cache before it is published?

We were recently in NH and met some new cachers who had actually just hid a cache right in the area where we were. They gave us the coords for it in case we wanted to look for it. Since we were going right by it to look for another cache we decided to look for it. Come to find out it was too close to an existing cache and also contained food items. We did not log it knowing it would need to be moved and hid elsewhere. We emailed the owner and let them know that it was probably not going to get approved because of the closeness to an exisiting cache We also mentioned that the food items should be removed. We probably would have signed the log had it looked like it would have been approved but would not have claimed the FTF on it.

Each cache logging situation is different for everyone and everyone plays the game the way they want to play. The way we cache is our game and others play the game the way they want to play. Someone may not want waste gas going back to an area they had already been to and had seen and touched the cache and couldn't sign it for whatever reason.

What if you are caching in a group with a bunch of different cachers? One person found it and everyone signs it.. should that count?
    Another caching question to put out there
    We sign as a team so if one of us finds it gets signed. If it is an especially well done hide, if one of us finds it, they will walk away and sit while the other one continues to search.

Thumbs up great question

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup View Post
    What if you are caching in a group with a bunch of different cachers? One person found it and everyone signs it.. should that count?
    Another caching question to put out there
    We sign as a team so if one of us finds it gets signed. If it is an especially well done hide, if one of us finds it, they will walk away and sit while the other one continues to search.
    I love the whole "I'm Sitting!" deal! It's a great way to let others is a caching group to find the cache too. Hiram and I love caching in groups, and it's true that when you do it's easier to find the cache. Many times, especially with micros, we do not do the whole I'm Sitting thing, and so only one person in the group "finds" the cache, but we all do log it. We're out to have a good time with friends and find new cool places (and pat the doggies on the way!)
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Many references on gc.com state that sighing the logbook is part of finding the cache. It's the way the first cache was place, and how it was intended to be. Otherwise, anyone could cheat and log online and say they touched the box and bees scared them away. The cache log is proof you were there, or as good a proof as can be provided in most cases.

There's times when i think if I am 5 feet from the guardrail in my car, that should be enough to warrant a find. If the area is not worth getting out to take a picture, why get out to sign the log?

Of course, I always sign it, ot have Lee sign it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."