vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Announcing ~ The JD Foundation

Thumbs up Announcing ~ The JD Foundation

We have many wonderful people among us ~ real workers for good things! What many of you may not know is our own chercacher and vic-biker have been working hard to establish a non-profit Foundation.

The main goal of the foundation is to “break the silence” of suicide, and “stop the stigma” about talking aloud about suicide and mental illness. By using education as a medium, they will bring awareness and through awareness we all can prevent suicide.

Although the foundation is starting out slowly by teaching adults, they have plans of expanding so that can work with youth as well.

A staggering fact is ~ Suicide is the second leading cause of death in the United States for young people between the ages of 15-24. Even more upsetting ~ The state of Maine has the highest rate of suicide in New England.

Cheryl and Vic have worked really hard to establish this as a 501C3 non-profit and their efforts are to be applauded. If you or anyone you know, would be open to training, could use training or would like to support this Foundation, please contact them. I am sure they would appreciate it.

And with that ~ they are holding their first fund raiser in Hollis Maine, t the Lions Club, Rt. 202 & 35, on Nov. 15th from 4:30 AM - 10 AM! It's, of course, a Hunter's Breakfast, with an all you can eat breakfast (yummie menu) and a raffle.

For more information you can email the foundation ~ thejdfoundation at yahoo dot com or of course PM Vic. If anyone would like a template of a poster for this event to print & put up - Vic and I both have one we could email you.

To me ~ this is a personal milestone for a family which has turned the healing of a tragic event into prevention for others. It is also another example of the wonderful people who communicate, share ideas and have fun on this website.

Thank you Cheryl and Vic! And thank you Attroll for the site!

Hollora, Thank you so very much for introducing the foundation. Also for talking about the personal milestone. Vic, myself, and my two boys have had quite a struggle the last three years and we couldn't have done it without all of the support of our family and friends. I know I don't post often and I work a lot and don't have a lot of time, but I sure do appreciate you and all who have supported us and will continue to support us. What a great bunch of people. I am proud to be a part of Geo-Caching of Maine. God Bless
    You are so appreciated

I think it is a great cause. Kudos too all involved!
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Default Hunters Breakfast

Well this is the big weekend for the JD Foundation's first official fund raiser. If you don't already know, we are having a hunters pancake breakfast at the Lion's Club in Hollis, Me. This will be an all you can eat breakfast consisting of a pancakes, blueberry pancakes, apple pancakes, sausage, bacon, breakfast sandwiches, juice, coffee and tea. The Lion's Club is located at the intersection of rt.202 & rt.35, the doors will open at 4:30 am and we will be serving until 10:00 am. Everyone is welcome...not just hunters. We also will be selling raffle tickets for two cords of cut, split, and delivered firewood. Tickets are $5.00 each and are available at the breakfast.

Come enjoy a fantastic breakfast, support a great cause, and maybe even do some caching in the area.

Great idea - Hunters of a different sort - Cache Hunters! All dressed in Hunter Orange so they don't get shot and armed with Magellan's, Garmin's and other sorts of navigational GPS receiver devices!

No need to carry knives, matches, survival gear, climb trees, or any of that messy stuff. Certainly not a bad idea to carry hand cleaner and baggies though.

So - two different kind of hunters may support a wonderful event to benefit a new Maine Foundation for a wonderful cause.

Thumbs up Geocachers Join the Breakfast - Chance To Win!

Ok - Geocointest here - time/chance to win!

Challenge............if you are a Geocacher.........attend this Hunter's Breakfast ~ to go hunting for cache ~ Pass a card or a paper to the person taking tickets which says - "I am a Geocacher! I am hunting caches and want to win........my caching name is (you ~ FILL IN THAT BLANK)."

You must have this ready to present - don't ask them for a paper and pen or pencil........and they are not going to coach you they need it. Bring it or you are not in the draw. One cacher or 100 at the breakfast - someone will win as long as there is an entry!

Yes, you must fill in your geocaching name on your paper so I can PM you through GC.com.........Your card or paper entry will be put into a separate draw container to win One unactivated geocoin of my choice from my unactivated coins. The winner will be drawn at the end of the breakfast and I will be notified by Vic-biker or Chercacher of the winner and I will subsequently notify the winner via their GC.com profile and announced it here. The coin will be about a $10/value and I will mail it to the winner if not practical for pickup.

Just one small and fun thing I can do to support the cause. If I wasn't working a Hunter's Breakfast in this area of the state for another group this weekend, I would be there!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Ok - Geocointest here - time/chance to win!

Challenge............if you are a Geocacher.........attend this Hunter's Breakfast ~ to go hunting for cache ~ Pass a card or a paper to the person taking tickets which says - "I am a Geocacher! I am hunting caches and want to win........my caching name is (you ~ FILL IN THAT BLANK)."

You must have this ready to present - don't ask them for a paper and pen or pencil........and they are not going to coach you they need it. Bring it or you are not in the draw. One cacher or 100 at the breakfast - someone will win as long as there is an entry!

Yes, you must fill in your geocaching name on your paper so I can PM you through GC.com.........Your card or paper entry will be put into a separate draw container to win One unactivated geocoin of my choice from my unactivated coins. The winner will be drawn at the end of the breakfast and I will be notified by Vic-biker or Chercacher of the winner and I will subsequently notify the winner via their GC.com profile and announced it here. The coin will be about a $10/value and I will mail it to the winner if not practical for pickup.

Just one small and fun thing I can do to support the cause. If I wasn't working a Hunter's Breakfast in this area of the state for another group this weekend, I would be there!
    What a nice thing to do for the foundation...Lois you are the best...which you could be there.

Ok, I have been notified by vic-biker we do have a winner! There was at least one cacher at the breakfast - and the winner is................

drum roll, please.....................

Cache Maine! The "coin" of choice is a GeoGem Diamond..........which I will see the lucky winner receives.

It sounds like, althought not not lot of folks went to the breakfast - it may have generated some income for the Foundation as well as some very value connections as well as a referral.

For those who attended - thank you! For those who could not - remember contact Vic-biker or chercacher FMI or to make an outright donation!

Thanks again - one and all!

I have got to watch these things more closely. It's almost 7pm and I just read about this. I would have been there. I'll be supporting this foundation.

Anything Hollora is involved in must be a good thing.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Woo hoo! As a Cacher Who Cares, I thought this would be a great opportunity to support a couple of fellow cachers. And, the breakfast was awesome!! As I told Vic this morning, the apple pancakes were the clincher for us....just had to try em! They were so good! We are looking forward to the next event.