vb:literal>

View Poll Results: What do you think should be the minimum distance between Maine rural caches?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 miles (No minimum)

17 23.61%
  • .1 mile

16 22.22%
  • .25 mile

12 16.67%
  • .5 mile

7 9.72%
  • .75 mile

2 2.78%
  • 1 mile

5 6.94%
  • 1.5 miles

1 1.39%
  • 2 miles

5 6.94%
  • 5 miles

3 4.17%
  • Other (specify)

4 5.56%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minimum distance between caches

Post Interesting logs

The Team, reads the logs to see if the cache is interesting or not. You can learn alot by reading them. Parking, time it really takes, and wether the rating is correct. We will write better logs if the cache is interesting or teaches us something. We try to pass along this info in our logs. We wll not do all the caches in close proximity, only the interesting ones. There was an article in Today's Cacher not long ago about the lackluster cache pages and it mentioned the logs too.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Joe and I drove over to Tamworth NH today to show some old friends how we geocache and get them started. I could not agree more with the comments about "caches just placed to have a cache". No fingers pointed but we found six caches today, only two of which weren't just a cache hidden on a walking path in buggy woods. Our woman friend had never geocached but goes to covered bridges all over the country. She found the cache at GCM6FY, a beautiful old 1828 covered bridge. We enjoyed the history placques and looking at the remarkable wooden construction. I didn't know most covered bridges were built so well that if a flood took them downstream, they often stayed intact and could be dragged by oxen back up to their starting point!

Second interesting one was a virtual GC88A9, again an interesting place and good history. Our male friend had visited this as a four year old child and had always remembered his mom carrying his young brother up the stairway.

The other caches were just woods walks with coordinates that were either bouncing or quite far off. I kept telling our friends about Morse Mountain with that incredible view and "Strawberry" behind Harpswell Town Hall and seeing the osprey and osprey nest. Those are the types of caches that will keep us caching.

And no - we have not placed any and know it must be hard to do so. And yes, reading the comments help decide which ones to put the energy into. We are saving Rattlesnake Mountain for our 100th as others have done so and seem glad they did so. Or should we do Battleship up in Bangor? Up to 86 caches and wanting to put some memory into #100.

Anne
    Last edited by TwoMaineiacs; 07-20-2005 at 07:31 PM.
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Default for your 100th

Might I suggest a REAL challenge like Stacked on the Stillwater Isn't that right Brdad
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    Might I suggest a REAL challenge like Stacked on the Stillwater Isn't that right Brdad
    I think at this time a year Etna Bog would separate the real cachers from the 1/1 hunters. Though, I can imagine Stacked is a step up right now from when I found it, too.
    Last edited by brdad; 07-20-2005 at 09:26 PM.

d’76 Guest

I not sure why anyone would put them selves through the torture of being in a bog this time of year. I think if reality tv wanted to impress us they would do 39 days in the Alton Bog in june/July, not a tropical island with rabbit food and berries, long beaches and great weather.

On a recent trip we encountered a series of caches. Here is a sample description from the log: "This is the 2nd in a series of caches located at exits along the (xxx) highway between (xxxx) and (xxxx)."

And yes, the first cache in the series we found was a micro in a light pole at a fast food restaurant... LOL!

(Note: the cache owner hs placed 20 caches, yet found only 12. Is this indicative of anything? )

I saw this listing for a cache down south and got quite a chuckle. I hope it never comes to this up here.

GCP5WC-Quickie for Quantity

"this one has no purpose, no meaning, it's just a number."

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    I saw this listing for a cache down south and got quite a chuckle. I hope it never comes to this up here.

GCP5WC-Quickie for Quantity

"this one has no purpose, no meaning, it's just a number."

LOL! And I see that on July 16, "The Team" made 3 log entries.

I did a count and there are 62 caches within a 5 mile radius. No wonder some people get thousands of finds! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I did a count and there are 62 caches within a 5 mile radius. No wonder some people get thousands of finds! LOL!
    If you want a better test (but still not 100% fair) of finds Multipy the number of finds by the average difficulty of their finds and multiply that by the average terrrain of their finds. 99% of those people with 1000 finds, the multipliers would still leave them at or near 1000!

A cache like this would not be such a deal, might even be kind of cute - IF if was the only cache of it's sort in a 100 mile radius. But, you know that is not the case...

Take a look at Nashville TN, I did a search and there were over 200 caches within 6 miles of the center of the city. A high numbers NY cacher claims to have done 85 in one day. With that "it's all about the numbers". Some places in CA are like that too, and I'll bet there are similar numbers in lots of large cities.

A house is not a home without a cat.