vb:literal>

View Poll Results: What do you think should be the minimum distance between Maine rural caches?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 miles (No minimum)

17 23.61%
  • .1 mile

16 22.22%
  • .25 mile

12 16.67%
  • .5 mile

7 9.72%
  • .75 mile

2 2.78%
  • 1 mile

5 6.94%
  • 1.5 miles

1 1.39%
  • 2 miles

5 6.94%
  • 5 miles

3 4.17%
  • Other (specify)

4 5.56%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minimum distance between caches

How about 242 finds in one day in Nashville? Check out the logs from 7/4/04.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=carleenp

That record was broken by 2 Germans Huskie & GeoPirat, 263 finds in a 24 hour period. This article was in the first issue of Today's Cacher. This all took place in the Jacksonville Florida area.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    How about 242 finds in one day in Nashville? Check out the logs from 7/4/04.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=carleenp
    Well, I counted about 170 caches within a 5 mile radius. And please note: they did this in NASHVILLE!!! LOL!

But in any case, I really question whether or not they did this. Perhaps a "team" split up? Consider this: If they found a cache every 5 minutes, 242 caches would have taken them 20 hours NONSTOP. Pretty hard for me to accept...

Sheesh! In readying some of the logs, they refer to Nashville as "Cacheville". No wonder!

Double sheesh! I also note in the log for one cache they hit in this marathon that the spouse of the cache owner has logged the cache twice!

Makes me sick...

Default Just remember Bruce.

As it says at the top of our Webpage.. "The way caching SHOULD be" (shameless self-promotion)
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    If you want a better test (but still not 100% fair) of finds Multipy the number of finds by the average difficulty of their finds and multiply that by the average terrrain of their finds.
    I have thought for a while now that this would be a better track of a cachers experience than just a 1 for 1 count. Hike 5 miles into the woods and up a 1500 foot climb for a cache counts the same as a rest stop lamp post? This would put a different perspective on the numbers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    I have thought for a while now that this would be a better track of a cachers experience than just a 1 for 1 count. Hike 5 miles into the woods and up a 1500 foot climb for a cache counts the same as a rest stop lamp post? This would put a different perspective on the numbers too.
    The only reason it will never be 100% fair is that there are so many variables. Everyone approaches a given cache differently, many people have physical limitations that turn a 2 terrain into a 4 terrain for them (and I'm not going to venture into the mental limitations of some of us ), And caches are rated so differently in different areas. It seems if you step off the pavement in some areas it is instantly a 3 terrain, and to lose sight of a parking lot is a 4.5. And here I was questioning a 5 rating for Dave1976's "Gorge"ous cache!
    Last edited by brdad; 07-22-2005 at 05:58 AM.

Depending on how close the caches are there are some that could be made into multi caches. For example I went to the 3 friends cache in Hallowell, found it, then went back to the Jeep to head off to the next one only to find out that I already walked past it because it was on the same trail! So it's really a use your best judgement kind of issue, if it would make a good multi, that person should contact the person that owns the other cache and make a team effort of taking care of them.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    Depending on how close the caches are there are some that could be made into multi caches. For example I went to the 3 friends cache in Hallowell, found it, then went back to the Jeep to head off to the next one only to find out that I already walked past it because it was on the same trail! So it's really a use your best judgement kind of issue, if it would make a good multi, that person should contact the person that owns the other cache and make a team effort of taking care of them.
    Do you down load caches to your gps one at a time or in quaries. If you did them in quaries you would have seen it on your way buy (just an FYI) I know exactly what you are saying .

From my limited caching experience in Maine and my hours of research, it appears to me that you folks do it " the way Caching should be" Please do not become another Nashville or Lakeland FL. Quality definitely out rates quantity!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehawma
    From my limited caching experience in Maine and my hours of research, it appears to me that you folks do it " the way Caching should be" Please do not become another Nashville or Lakeland FL. Quality definitely out rates quantity!
    Makes it all worthwhile when I hear statements like this from our out of state geocaching friends......thx!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!