vb:literal>

Thread: garmin rino

Default garmin rino

Anyone have any thoughts on the rino? My husband wants to get a new GPS with the 2 way radios. Is it as good for geocaching as the Colorado (which I want to get)? Thanks.

I do not own a rino but do own a Garmin. I have never been a fan of combining two technologies into one unit (dvd/vhs, etc.). We have 2 inexpensive walkie/talkies and those work fine (when we remember to carry and use them).

The most often I have used the walkies is when in a group at a mega event and that was communication only. Hubby sits in the car when I cache so we sometimes use them so he knows I am ok if I have hiked in on a trail.

To me, I would be looking for more in features (like the Colorado or another Garmin units offer) in my GPSr than what the walkie/talkie feature would do. I am never out of sight with the others when caching on a trail.

And unless there is no reception so it doesn't work - my cell is usually in my pocket.

JMHO

I don't own one but I've known people who did (models from 4 or 5 years ago) and battery life was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mainesurveyor View Post
    I don't own one but I've known people who did (models from 4 or 5 years ago) and battery life was an issue.
    Interesting comment which would make sense. The more features running on anything the more to power them and chew up batteries.

Even with the one function two way radios - batteries are used up swiftly especially the more you talk. I do know that from experience. Our 2 ways are hi-end Unidens designed for commercial use.

That was kinda my thought. He doesn't cache with me, he wants the 2 way radios for other things, but my thought is to just buy separate radios and my Colorado for me! which is what I'll do!

I know nothing about the Rhino, but our GPS 60csx has a power cable for the car. Since 90% of GPSr usage is spent driving to the cache, our batteries last quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I know nothing about the Rhino, but our GPS 60csx has a power cable for the car. Since 90% of GPSr usage is spent driving to the cache, our batteries last quite a while.
    Right on - the car power cable to lengthen the life/usable time of your batteries is definitely the way to go. I use one too.

I would get the Colorado or Oregon and find a sale on Black Friday for two-ways for the hubby! Get ones with good range - he will love them!

My brother-in-law and his brother use rhinos for hunting. They can send co-ords of where each other are in relation to the other. I believe they can actually tell where they are on the mapping page. I do know that as was pointed out already battery life is an issue, especially when broadcasting. Second hand information is all I've got to offer, and we all know how good that is.

i tried a oregon this past weekend and loved it much easier to use than the colorado. we used a rhino when we just started i did not like it not as user friendly. we own a etrex and a 60 csx and we enjoy using them both.