vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate cache containers

Default Appropriate cache containers

OK, so getting ready to put out some little caches, and wanted some input. I was going to do some urban micros in Portland with magnets, and was thinking of using a little Airborne medicine container (cleaned, obviously). Got it all decked out and ready to go. Took a little Post It note pad (think paper flags) and drilled a hole in the sticky part of the pad and used a twist tie to secure them into a logbook of sorts. So, that one should be fine.

However, the next question I have is this: I have access to a large and continuing supply of chewing tobacco plastic containers. You know, the ones slightly smaller than a hockey puck. The labeling is easily removed, already basically camoed with black plastic, and cleaned out, I figured they would work very well. What do you all think? They still (after cleaning) have a slight minty odor from the tobacco, but am working on getting rid of that. Man, I'd love to be able to use them instead of throwing them out. I can make them into micros/magnetic without having to buy the ones online - money is super tight. Thoughts?

Oh crap, second question I had - anybody know of a local surplus store when I can get ammo canisters?

As many of the veterans will tell you, many containers you think are watertight usually are not. There's nothing worse than getting to a cache and not being able to sign the logbook because it is soaked. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by cachecrashers4 View Post
    As many of the veterans will tell you, many containers you think are watertight usually are not. There's nothing worse than getting to a cache and not being able to sign the logbook because it is soaked. Good luck and welcome to the sport.
    Yeah, I figured as much - I'm putting my makeshift log books into snack sized ziplocs to further protect. Plus, I'm super dang local, and plan on being a rabid cache checker to make sure that they are not getting messed up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HStaples View Post
    Oh crap, second question I had - anybody know of a local surplus store when I can get ammo canisters?
    i do believe mardens in waterville has some and there is a surplus store in augusta on western ave.

Army Barracks out by the Scarborough Walmart has a bunch. I go in there from time to time to drool over them.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    i do believe mardens in waterville has some and there is a surplus store in augusta on western ave.
    Oh really? I'll have to drive to Augusta - will do that come Thanksgiving time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    Army Barracks out by the Scarborough Walmart has a bunch. I go in there from time to time to drool over them.
    Whoa, wait - the Army Barracks there is a store? Or is it a real army barracks, and you're pulling my leg?

It is a store called Army Barracks. If you go to the Wal-Mart is Scarborugh (by the Mall) it is right across the street by the Bull Moose Warehouse store.

Trust me I would not lie about this.

They actually have some very cool stuff. Ammo boxes, paintball stuff, military cooking supplies.....

Check it out sometime.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    It is a store called Army Barracks. If you go to the Wal-Mart is Scarborugh (by the Mall) it is right across the street by the Bull Moose Warehouse store.

Trust me I would not lie about this.

They actually have some very cool stuff. Ammo boxes, paintball stuff, military cooking supplies.....

Check it out sometime.
    Sweet! thanks for the tip! I love surplus stores!!!!!!! Ammo cans and spraypaint, my favorite things, and my cat's most hated things.