vb:literal>

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Craft Corner

Default Sculpy 101

It is fun to work with sculpy but the chemical make up of the clay is dangerous for children. You need to get them to was their hands thoroughly after touching the soft clay. Also the surfaces which the clay it molded on (tables, etc) need to be cleaned well after. I use aluminum foil and tape it onto the surface I will be using that way I just have to fold up the foil and use it another day.

Warning #2 - the fumes from the cooking sculpy are rather stinky. The directions say something about a well ventilated area. That implies to me bad stuff in the fumes.

I only play with sculpy in the warm weather days when I can open my door and get fresh air into my house.

Kayaking Loon, you should think about "Shrinky Dinks" it is a plastic sheet that you print on and then cut out and cook. It shrinks to a clear plastic thing.

I have used large rubber stamps and them colored them in. The glue onto surfaces real well and if you put a hole in them the make great pendants for necklaces.

My kids figured out that you could use sharpies on the shiny side and it would be permanent. They made pendants with different sayings on them and just colored the backs with designs (circles and squiggly lines, etc).

The "Klutz Shrinky Dink" book is a great resource with lots of great ideas. My nonartistic 7 year old boy made some things.

For the bandanas we created the image on the computer and then printed them on iron-on transfer paper (which we bought at Office Max). If you are clever with your layout you can get several images on one sheet of iron-on transfer and then cut them out. We got the bandanas on line for about 50 cents each.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    For the bandanas we created the image on the computer and then printed them on iron-on transfer paper (which we bought at Office Max). If you are clever with your layout you can get several images on one sheet of iron-on transfer and then cut them out. We got the bandanas on line for about 50 cents each.
    And for those who need to order on-line vs. ride a long time to the store Office Max is on line. Also Staples and many of the others.

Post sculpey

i have been using sculpey for years and had no ill effects yet and neither have my grand children last nite i made a kayak and pulled the front up and into the shape of a loon Somewhat it looked pretty nice to have ur daughter make something would be awesome. and as for the smell it smells better than my cooking!!!!!!!!

Tee Hee,sculpy loaf again ?!?

Is there a difference between Sculpy and Feemo ??
    Opalsns

yes there is and i don't like working with the femo it is not as plyable.

Default Warning Noted

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    It is fun to work with sculpy but the chemical make up of the clay is dangerous for children. You need to get them to was their hands thoroughly after touching the soft clay. Also the surfaces which the clay it molded on (tables, etc) need to be cleaned well after. I use aluminum foil and tape it onto the surface I will be using that way I just have to fold up the foil and use it another day.

Warning #2 - the fumes from the cooking sculpy are rather stinky. The directions say something about a well ventilated area. That implies to me bad stuff in the fumes.

I only play with sculpy in the warm weather days when I can open my door and get fresh air into my house.
    Well, my "kid" will be 40 years old her next birthday so I guess she'll know enough to wash her hands without Mom telling her. But she does have a serious lung problem (disabled) so fumes might be a bad thing. BUT, she lives with us in the winter so I could bake them at her house. She never uses her oven anyway, probably sculpy would be the only thing ever cooked in it. Problem solved!? And I will look into shrinky dinks and iron-on transfer paper and.... whatever. Hopefully, after the snow comes and finally goes, there will be new home-made KL sig items, "coming soon to a cache near you"! Thanks for all the tips and help!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Opal, if you have an idea for something you'd like to make, post it and the crafters can tell you how to do it.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~