vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading raw data from Garmin 60 series

Default Downloading raw data from Garmin 60 series

I am looking for some help here from all you Garmin 60 series owners.

I need to find out if there is a way to download the raw data from the Garmin 60 series GPS without using any software?

The reason for this is if I do a multi week hiking trip and I stop into a few trail towns and stay at a hotel or go to a library, I will want to us the hostel computer or go to the library for internet access. The hostels and libraries I go to will not have Garmin software installed. I am hoping there is a way to use the USB cable and just download the raw data off the GPS and email it home for someone to convert when I get back home.

Can this be done?
    Blazing Troll

Default Don't think so

What you can do is carry a flash drive with Mapsource on it. I think you should be able to use that on most computers. Open it and retrieve your data. I assume you are mostly interested in your tracks. You can get a larger card to go in the 60's but I still think tracks are limited.
    Happy Trails!

Do you have a GPSr with an expansion card?

If so, you could check the card to see if track data is stored on the expansion card of on internal memory. Waypoints are stored on internal memory, and map data is stored on the expansion card. If track data is on the card, you can pop the card in an adapter, put it in a computer and download the file like any other.

I don't do tracks or I'd check on it now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    What you can do is carry a flash drive with Mapsource on it. I think you should be able to use that on most computers. Open it and retrieve your data. I assume you are mostly interested in your tracks. You can get a larger card to go in the 60's but I still think tracks are limited.
    I am not sure but I believe the mapsource software needs to be installed on the computer that you are using. I think you can install it on the flash drive but I think when you do that it also stores some things in the computers registry. I do not know this for a fact but I am just speculating because that is how most computer programs work when they are installed. I currently do not have a 60 series so I can not test this theory.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Do you have a GPSr with an expansion card?

If so, you could check the card to see if track data is stored on the expansion card of on internal memory. Waypoints are stored on internal memory, and map data is stored on the expansion card. If track data is on the card, you can pop the card in an adapter, put it in a computer and download the file like any other.

I don't do tracks or I'd check on it now...
    As I said I do not currently have a 60 series so I can not check this. What I need to do is download the tracks and the waypoints while out in the field.

If this is true Bruce then what type of file are they stored as and can then be downloaded.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    If this is true Bruce then what type of file are they stored as and can then be downloaded.
    Take a look at this. I think it might answer your question.

It talks about plugging the GPSr into the computer and downloading, but you just as well pull the SD card and download from that directly

Sheesh! I've been playing with the GPSr and the above procedure really works!

Turning the GPSr into a "USB Mass Storage Device" lets you open the data card while its still IN the GPS, just like a card you've popped into the slot on your computer. I only have 2 files on my card - maps and POI - but you should be able to see a tracks file as well if you have them on your GPS.

Don't see why you can't just plug your GPSr into any computer, then copy your tracks file and send it to anyone.

Yup - I think this solves your problem.

Heck with that new Delorme why would you want to use a 60 series anyway? Oh and don't forget I'll meet you someplace in either South or North Carolina when you start that 2010 mission or yours.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Heck with that new Delorme why would you want to use a 60 series anyway? Oh and don't forget I'll meet you someplace in either South or North Carolina when you start that 2010 mission or yours.
    Well to tell you the truth this is not for me. It is a long story. I am going to buy one for someone else and let them use it and I want to be able to make sure that the raw data can be transfered to me via email from anywhere before I purchase one.

As for my Delorme, I am not to thrilled with it. I really like it but the responce time I get when it is refreshing the map is not impressing me very much at all. If the map refresh rate was a lot faster I would be happy with it.
    Blazing Troll

That's where the new Delorme PN-40 comes in... Awesome reviews so far and with the new faster processor it looks like they got it right this time. Remember the PN-20 was their 1st....
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    That's where the new Delorme PN-40 comes in... Awesome reviews so far and with the new faster processor it looks like they got it right this time. Remember the PN-20 was their 1st....
    I have been corresponding with Delorme already about the PN-40 and the project I am working on. Hopefully they will work with me on this. They have yet to convince me that the refresh rate on the maps has improved drastically. I am waiting for a followup email from them now. I am sure it will not come until next week now.
    Blazing Troll