vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocachers in the real world

Arrow Geocachers in the real world

One of the great characteristics of the geocachers I've met over the years is our eagerness to help others understand and experience geocaching. I thought we could start a thread that'd be about helping others. To find cacher volunteers to help when needed, to get ideas, to find those needing help, to get support when helping others, etc. Best of all to share stories.

Recently, one of our active cachers helped a lady from the Orono Land Trust to try and correct her coordinates as she's trying hard to introduce folks to their trails. She just didn’t know how to properly use her GPSr nor did the person trying to help her. Hopefully the cacher's new coordinates will be a bit better so folks can at least get close to the caches.

I know there's others who've done great work with Land Trusts, as well as other groups and individuals...please share.
    Last edited by Medawisla; 09-29-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post

Recently, one of our active cachers helped a lady from the Orono Land Trust to try and correct her coordinates as she's trying hard to introduce folks to their trails. She just didn’t know how to properly use her GPSr nor did the person trying to help her. Hopefully the cacher's new coordinates will be a bit better so folks can at least get close to the caches.
    AHHHH-HAA! We thought something odd was afoot! I am glad to hear that they are getting some help. Now I cant wait until they republish! I am fairly new and haven't learned ALL the tricks of the trade, but I am always willing to give advice or help newbies that want to place a cache and dont quite know what they need to do. Maybe we can start a basic training course for new cachers? I know that some of us that work at UMO talked about putting together a "Geocaching 101" type of seminar. Maybe this is something we can incorporate into that?

Where the hell is that thing?

Would this also extend to helping in the community? Like food and bottle drives to help the local food banks or blood drives to help the blood banks (not that we don't donate enough to the state bird). I know the annual toy run gives bikers lots of good repore and cachers do need some of that. I extend my help to other cachers through e-mail when they ask and some who actually call me. One call was from Dubord, he and Di were doing a cache I had done already and they were having a tough time. I never actually got to help but the voicemail was something else. It started with Dan telling me where he was and going on to say that they were having a problem finding the cache when in the background you can here Di say "I found it!!!" and then the phone goes into a pocket and for the next two minutes you hear Dan and Di walking out of the woods. They gave me my own podcache. Now I have called for help after not finding a cache and always recieved good responses. I have also gotten help from other cachers about other topics besides finding the cache. Like cache placement, how to make a cache container that was stuck in idea mode,or the "I got chains if you get stuck" like last night when I did a cache called "mud puppy". Help comes in all different means like the "good job" we got from Dubord when we hit 800 caches an all around feel good saying you are noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    AHHHH-HAA! We thought something odd was afoot! I am glad to hear that they are getting some help. Now I cant wait until they republish! I am fairly new and haven't learned ALL the tricks of the trade, but I am always willing to give advice or help newbies that want to place a cache and dont quite know what they need to do. Maybe we can start a basic training course for new cachers? I know that some of us that work at UMO talked about putting together a "Geocaching 101" type of seminar. Maybe this is something we can incorporate into that?
    I believe they're all fixed and up and running EH.

P.S. I ran into one of your colleagues today at United Technologies Center . . . told her to say "hi" to you and your partner in geocaching in Dispatch when she sees you next.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    One of the great characteristics of the geocachers I've met over the years is our eagerness to help others understand and experience geocaching. I thought we could start a thread that'd be about helping others. To find cacher volunteers to help when needed, to get ideas, to find those needing help, to get support when helping others, etc. Best of all to share stories.

I know there's others who've done great work with Land Trusts, as well as other groups and individuals...please share.
    this is a good idea and i also would like to know what others think about the statement so voice your thoughts. it is nice to know where people stand on certain topics.

Thumbs up it's all great!

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    Would this also extend to helping in the community?
    Everything you said is great! I think there's lots of us who want to help out, outside of geocaching, or want to combine our volunteering with geocaching, and here's a great place for us to talk about how.

And that story about Dubord made me laugh out loud!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Default Ellsworth

Didn't we recently have a geo team do the walk in Ellsworth? That would be something I'd be interested in if we did it again. Maybe we should have a regular Maine Geo-Team that would participate in the walks and runs, for charitable causes. I know that October is Breast Cancer month. I had thought about doing something with the walk in Portland on the 19th.

We could get shirts that spell out what we do and why.

Maine Geo Team
    searching the woods for tupperware
    today searching for a cure
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Didn't we recently have a geo team do the walk in Ellsworth? That would be something I'd be interested in if we did it again. Maybe we should have a regular Maine Geo-Team that would participate in the walks and runs, for charitable causes. I know that October is Breast Cancer month. I had thought about doing something with the walk in Portland on the 19th.

We could get shirts that spell out what we do and why.

Maine Geo Team
    searching the woods for tupperware
    today searching for a cure
    Gary this has got to be your best idea of all time.Make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Gary this has got to be your best idea of all time.Make it so.
    I agree 100% You have outdone yourself this time.

Feel free to join my staff and I when we walk in the Damariscotta breast cancer walk. We have a team already. Just wear a pink shirt and you can write anything you want on the back of the shirt. We'll also gladly take any donations and add them to our collections to give to Strides Against Breast Cancer.

I am serious--just PM me if you want to join us.