vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should caches that do not have a FTF be given hints?

Hybrid View

Default Should caches that do not have a FTF be given hints?

I had an interesting experience this summer looking for a cache that had not yet been found after 3 postings and 3 weeks. After looking once and before returning the next day and finding it, other cachers had come, called the owner and been given extra hints for the FTF. They were honest of course and admitted that in the log. It made me think Darn!! and that maybe the unspoken policy might be that we would not give or get hints until a FTF had been posted or new hints posted on the webpage. Nothing against the cache hider, she is great and it was her cache to do as she wished. I actually kind of vented in my posting but it was all in good humor.:-)
    What are your thoughts as how to handle FTF's?

I think cache owners can do whatever they wish, but I think, in the spirit of the game, that the cache should be found first without any help, to claim the FTF. IMO

Sorry about that reply, it had WAYYY to many commas. I, will, do, better, next, time.

IMO hints should be left up to the digression of the cache owner.

I have more of a problem with hints being given by someone other than the cache owner, for example a previous cache finder.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    I had an interesting experience this summer looking for a cache that had not yet been found after 3 postings and 3 weeks.
    I agree with other comments - leave it alone. RULOAST2? and I once got a FTF on a cache that had been placed almost 2 years earlier! LOL!

Default Hints

I agree with brdad that hints should be left to the discretion, or the whim, of the cache placer. Laughing Terry gives his hints in a series. I think I needed 4 hints (and 5 trips) to get the cache on the 2 cent Bridge in Waterville. When folks call me for a hint I ask them straight out if they want a "little" hint or if they're getting frustrated do they want something more specific.

Personally, I try not to call unless I've put in a solid half hour or more and even then I'll often pass and try it on a different day or when I have "eagle eye" Dianne with me.

It's just another one of those questions best answered by reminding all that this is a game and how you play it is a matter of personal choice. Some players are what I call the "purists." They don't need or want any assistance and that's fine. One of my best friends eschews folks that hunt deer with a rifle, preferring a recurve bow like the early settlors used. Again, both "put meat on the table" and I'm not going to criticize folks who call for hints, as I do from time to time, as I find it FUN every time I find a cache, hint or no hint!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I agree with other comments - leave it alone. RULOAST2? and I once got a FTF on a cache that had been placed almost 2 years earlier! LOL!
    Wow, that cache was a little insane. I had to pan out almost to the end of the maps just to figure out where it was. My guess is that there is not too much life out there.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Wow, that cache was a little insane. I had to pan out almost to the end of the maps just to figure out where it was. My guess is that there is not too much life out there.
    It's on a "First Nation" (Indian reservation) in northern Quebec - literally the end of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    There are still some 'active' caches that were placed years ago and never found. 16 out of 62 caches in Russia were placed at least a year ago and never logged. This jem is from 2001 on the arctic coast.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...&log=&numlogs=

There is one on lake Baikal (the deepest lake in the world, holding 1/5 of all the worlds fresh water) that was placed in 2003, and after many DNF's, was found this summer for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    There are still some 'active' caches that were placed years ago and never found. 16 out of 62 caches in Russia were placed at least a year ago and never logged. This jem is from 2001 on the arctic coast.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...&log=&numlogs=

There is one on lake Baikal (the deepest lake in the world, holding 1/5 of all the worlds fresh water) that was placed in 2003, and after many DNF's, was found this summer for the first time.
    There are only 62 caches in Russia?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?