vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuvi Experiences

Smile Nuvi Experiences

I finally broke down and bought a Nuvi. I have found some pretty cool stuff on the internet about it, but I'm still curious what can be done with these little gems. I picked up the 255W. Also, I found a very helpful page about getting caches loaded on it. Here's the link.

So tell me, what model do you have and what can your Nuvi do?

Default I went the other way..

I got a Tomtom XL330. I can load caches in a heartbeat right from a GSAK export. The maps are fantastic, and so far the routing is spot on. I have been caching in Lewiston this morning and it is doing an awesome job of getting me around.
    Happy Trails!

Default Nuvi

I have a 200 series older version. Load POI from the Garmin website then the Nuvi Macro on gsak and you'll get the whole cache page with the exception of maps which you won't need because the Nuvi will take you to the cache. It occassionally will take what I call "dead end shortcuts" but that doesn't happen too often.

Not sure how many caches these things can hold. I have over 10,000 on mine!

This will make you paperless. Enjoy!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Sigh. Another thing for the wish list.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Wow, what a great gadget.

Years ago I had the need for some kind of portable mapping soft wear. Laptps had even been installed in the fire engines. The GPSr soft wear was just not up to the task. But the other things we were using them for worked great.

I even bought software to add to my Palm Pilot. It worked, but was very slow and fussy. It helped somewhat but just did not do the trick. You see, I get lost as soon as I get behind the wheel of any vehicle. I can walk around in the woods all day and come back out within several feet of where I went in, however the roads never seem to cooperate. I can print out maps and directions and even look at things from satellites in space, but I will take the wrong turn almost at every time, for some reason.

Finally a Friend bought me a Nuvi 200 on Black Friday as they were only $100. OMG! OMG! OMG! Where the hell have these things been hiding! I never looked into getting one of these because I had the misconception that there was a monthly fee attached to them. I was wrong and I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since. With the acreage associated with my butt it will take a while to complete the job. Needless to say I love it. I love it!

I love the fact that I don't need to focus on the screen, it tells you where to go and how to get there. In a nice way. However the lady does get a little annoyed when I keep taking the wrong road on purpose, because I don't like taking that particular road, but she recalculates and gets me back on track. Another feature that is great is when I am out on the road and finally get to a destination. All I have to do is put in the next place I want to go from the already entered favorites or just enter the address I have on hand. No need to try and figure out from the maps I have how to navigate from my location and not from my home location. What a frigging pain that was. I also liked the fact that I can put the coordinates in on a cache and it will take me right there. Wow!

Then Lexmano and Hollora informed me I can go paperless with this God send. I have tried it a couple of times, but I have screwed something up and the download fails every time. Stupid me, I never think to research these things online. Thanks for the tip Cache Maine. I love you. As soon as I'm done here I will be using the links.

Now that I have raved about these gems, I'll tell you what they can do. It has cut my travel time in half. I always had to add extra time every time I went to do an investigation, because I would drive around for hours looking for street signs. Now I go right there. When I worked for the State I had about ten pounds of maps that I had to carry with me everywhere I went. I would spend almost as much time figuring out where I was supposed to be going as I would doing the investigation. Now all is well and all the frustration and pressure is off. I am a much happier person now.

Have I said I love this thing? I love it! I love it!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Question Technologically ignorant

Ok, let me tell you my poor beliefs so you can all laugh at me. #1 I thought that my nuvi was only good for turn by turn directions and could not be used for caching. #2 I thought my PN-20 was only good for caching and terrible for turn by turn directions. I read about gsak and garmins before, but I guess that I did not understand the conversations. Now, because I'm not all that smart sometimes I'm going to ask the following (yes I read the link posted above). I own a 200 series. What is the reality of downloading geodata to it? Is this a project that requires time, beer and patience? Because i'm missing two of those right now. Can I put the whole cache page on, or just the coords. Can anyone explain this in terms that a 16 year old can understand. (I work in a high school and defer all tech questions to kids. They have a better handle on it than I do) Did I mention that I'm really excited about this. I really like the thought of loading 100 caches or so onto my nuvi just to have when I'm driving around.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I still haven't tried it yet and made it work, but I have the 200.The lowest on the scale.

Lexmano also has one and he showed me that he had about 10,000 caches on it. All of the data for each cache also. All the hints, all the logs everything about the cache and it's location just like the cache page. It was great.

Now if anybody wants to give turn by turn directions, that would be great for us two want to be geeks.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

The Nuvi or for that fact most of these types of mobile GPS units are quite easy to incorporate into Geocaching.

There is an excellent step by step tutorial by Pilotsnipes. Here is the link:

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

It basically tells you everything you have to know to get caches onto the portable device.

There is another more complex one that does several things differently, but the one above is the best place to start.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    The Nuvi or for that fact most of these types of mobile GPS units are quite easy to incorporate into Geocaching.

There is an excellent step by step tutorial by Pilotsnipes. Here is the link:

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

It basically tells you everything you have to know to get caches onto the portable device.

There is another more complex one that does several things differently, but the one above is the best place to start.
    This is the tutoriual I used to learn to load mine and had no trouble. My son will tell you ~ if I had no trouble, the directions are easy!

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I own a 200 series. What is the reality of downloading geodata to it? Is this a project that requires time, beer and patience? Because i'm missing two of those right now. Can I put the whole cache page on, or just the coords. Can anyone explain this in terms that a 16 year old can understand. (I work in a high school and defer all tech questions to kids. They have a better handle on it than I do)
    I too was low on patience and wanted immediate gratification when I opened ours up about a week ago. If it weren't for everything going haywire the second I started the process, I feel the tutorial that gobbler mentioned really would have only taken 20 minutes and was fairly easy to follow (as it was, I had three kiddos and a neighbor who all wanted something and couldn't wait while I was working with the gps and it still only took me about an hour and that includes finding the nuvi and sorting through all the accessories to find the cord).

The tutorial is very well done.