Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Nuvi Experiences

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Auburn, Maine
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    I have named my Nuvi Julie. Like Dubord mine likes to "recalculate" on occasion. It was on such an occasion that I was not paying any attention to speed and there he was blue lights and everything! I pulled over and he asked my hurry and I explained I was listening to Julie recalculate and paying no attention to my speed,he chuckled and gave me a warning and told me to listen to my Julie!!
    CUTE!!!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    My Nuvi has had a couple of names......and they change as I change the voice. I often name inanimate things - my dishwasher for years was Agnes, until I realized that was the name of Ralph's wife who passed away.........so now, I am a bit careful.

    Now, as for the Nuvi and bad navigational information - if you want a laugh to read........go to GCK56W, Nash's Lake Dam Cache by Aefuss and read my note of 10/18/08. I am surprised after all that that Cache Maine even bought one.........but we did have the whole cache page to read LOL!

    My daughter will tell you the story of trying to find Shaws next to Bay Side Expo in Boston using the Nuvi - - she was ready to throw it into the bay! LOL

    It's just another tool! And I really do love it - despite all.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Vickie.....short for Victoria's Secret, because it's a secret why it sends me down a dead end street or the long way around. That said, I like it and use it a fair amount of time, especially traveling out of state.

    I bought a NUVI 205 as a gift for someone and noticed that it not only displays your current speed, it displays the posted speed limit where you are at the moment. When I saw this my next thought was making sure to keep the mapping software up-to-date.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Nuvi Madness

    The Nuvi also has a page that shows your average speed AND highest speed. I finally figured out how to delete the highest speed, thankfully. Di told me not to worry, just to tell any police officer that got a hold of Hal that I took it flying one day.

    I bought a NUVI 205 as a gift for someone and noticed that it not only displays your current speed, it displays the posted speed limit where you are at the moment. When I saw this my next thought was making sure to keep the mapping software up-to-date.[/quote]
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Maine
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    The Nuvi also has a page that shows your average speed AND highest speed. I finally figured out how to delete the highest speed, thankfully. Di told me not to worry, just to tell any police officer that got a hold of Hal that I took it flying one day.

    I bought a NUVI 205 as a gift for someone and noticed that it not only displays your current speed, it displays the posted speed limit where you are at the moment. When I saw this my next thought was making sure to keep the mapping software up-to-date.
    [/quote]
    Since when did dubord207 care what the posted speed limit was? He eventually finds out if any of his vehicles have governors on them! (And some of his appliances as well.)

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    In our vast 4 or 5 hours of experience, we found the speed limit postings were not that accurate. I'm not sure where the data comes from, it could be just the generic state residential/urban/highway speeds. I don't think they have people waypointing the location of the speed limit signs and reporting to Garmin. Sometimes it seemed it hit a sign right on, but then it passed other speed zones completely. So while it may be good for a reference, it may very well not be the posted speed.

    We haven't named ours yet, though at one point while the GPS was suggesting one route and Lee was suggesting another, I broke out with the song "Trying to love two women". A suggestion: When in doubt, agree with the woman who is cooking your dinner!
    Last edited by brdad; 01-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Vickie.....short for Victoria's Secret, because it's a secret why it sends me down a dead end street or the long way around. That said, I like it and use it a fair amount of time, especially traveling out of state.
    It sounds like you have it set up for pedestrian use. It should not send you down a one way street if it is set to automotive.

    Also, my unit by default was set up to find the quickest route, which can take you a longer distance but should be a shorter time if it calculates correctly.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    In our vast 4 or 5 hours of experience, we found the speed limit postings were not that accurate. I'm not sure where the data comes from, it could be just the generic state residential/urban/highway speeds. I don't think they have people waypointing the location of the speed limit signs and reporting to Garmin. Sometimes it seemed it hit a sign right on, but then it passed other speed zones completely. So while it may be good for a reference, it may very well not be the posted speed.
    Didn't use it too much, other than to notice that feature. It seemed ok along I-95 and larger streets around Bangor. Don't know how or from who the mapping source would receive the zone information but you're right, I would agree nobody is waypointing them.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It sounds like you have it set up for pedestrian use. It should not send you down a one way street if it is set to automotive.

    Also, my unit by default was set up to find the quickest route, which can take you a longer distance but should be a shorter time if it calculates correctly.
    You know, that's a good point. I had set it up originally to for the shortest route, automotive, but there may very well be variables. It's happened rarely to dead-end....I tend to think that updating the mapping software is appropriate, seeing that it is 2007. Either way, I like the unit and use frequently for getting in the neighborhood of a cache or specific directions.

    We haven't named ours yet, though at one point while the GPS was suggesting one route and Lee was suggesting another, I broke out with the song "Trying to love two women". A suggestion: When in doubt, agree with the woman who is cooking your dinner!
    And how long did it take you to learn this?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    And how long did it take you to learn this?
    Some guys do well with sports analogies, some with automotive. I'm a fast learner when it comes to missed meals.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •