vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Cache Ideas

Question Winter Cache Ideas

Hi everyone... I have a new cache location all scoped out and it's in the hollow of a tree. However, I've discovered some of my other caches are frozen in right now and I've been thinking of ways to prevent that. When I hunt for caches in the winter I try to bring something to chisel with to free up frozen caches and do the best I can. But I've been thinking of ways to make it easier for everyone who finds my caches in the winter. To try to prevent the freeze-up of a cache, I now do several things. First, if it's on the ground I'm trying to leave a small ditch for water run off. Second, and I always think of this when I place caches during winter months, I try to find locations off the ground. I recently found two of Laughing Terry's caches along snowmobile trails and I was appreciative of those above-the-ground caches. And finally, today (for the new cache in the hollow of a tree) I bought a cheap (59 cents) star-shaped cookie cutter which I will place under the new cache container to keep it elevated off the floor of the hollow in the tree, hoping this will help prevent it getting frozen in place.

So - do any of you have any ideas to help prevent caches from getting frozen in place?

sometimes with a hollow tree i have seen people place the cache up in the hollow rather then down in the hollow. it makes it less likely to freeze in and possible to make it a harder find.

Yeah I've got a great idea....Move down here? ..... Just kidding, I really miss caching in the snow but not the cold though I must admit.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Lightbulb owner maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    And finally, today (for the new cache in the hollow of a tree) I bought a cheap (59 cents) star-shaped cookie cutter which I will place under the new cache container to keep it elevated off the floor of the hollow in the tree, hoping this will help prevent it getting frozen in place.

So - do any of you have any ideas to help prevent caches from getting frozen in place?
    The cookie cutter is a great idea; I bet it'll work. My after thought, though, was what if a cacher thinks it's swag and puts it into the container? So, just a suggestion, but put what it's use is in the cache description page, and hopefully that won't happen.

I imagine the best way to prevent frozen caches is to do extra maintenance in the winter, checking them out and re-positioning them if necessary. I would think using materials under and around the cache container could help, like the cookie cutter, using bark or pine needles; obviously these materials would need to be checked too, because over time even they will freeze in place.

Wonderful topic. Happy caching, cache year-round!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Humm, interesting swag for sure, now what do I have to trade for a cookie cutter?
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Humm, interesting swag for sure, now what do I have to trade for a cookie cutter?
    Depends on the season Gob-ler and what shape cookies you were making! LOL All kidding aside - the size of the container might dictate whether someone would feel this was swag. It also could be put in the description - that the support/cutter is part of the container set up - do not take it.

If folks have a lot of caches out, I can understand them not running around to do frequent maintenance all winter. JMHO And as we all know - once frozen in - it may take spring to release them.

I have also used tools in the winter.....and fondly remember my weed tool doing a number on a LocNloc - cause it just cracked it to pieces last winter.......and humbly attending a memorial service with a broken cache container and a replacement cache in hand. Some folks who loose caches broken in the winter are not as lucky.

It's a hazard of caching in Maine during the winter - both finding and placing (that they can be broken, frozen in, etc.). I think EMSDanel's attempt is unique and I look forward to following how this works out.

My son has one of those in a tree hides (he adopted it) which he and I retrieved during a winter. It was a camo tape covered glass jar........and it was frozen in - came out in pieces with the tape holding it together.

Winter caching at its best is a challenge. Thank you to all who try to do hides which are winter friendly, and to all those who chase after the hides after they are out there.

Cache on - Cache happy!

Great topic!!! We recently found a few frozen micros we could not get out. The ice storm we had earlier this winter really sealed quite a few caches in place. We got lucky on one lock n lock, the container was frozen in the crook of a tree but the cover came off and we were able to get to the contents and signed the log. A little more ice and we would have had to DNF it.

One of the downfalls of Lock n Locks is the fact that they get brittle in the cold and crack easily. Many of our hides are ammo cans so it takes a lot to break them. but they freeze in just like the lock n locks.. ask Gob-ler he tried really hard to get one of ours freed from its frozen tomb last winter but it refused to budge... even for him

Here is a pic of a micro we found recently but were unable to retrieve for fear of breaking the container. It was so close but so far. Well at least we know where it is and will find it quickly to sign the log after the spring thaw

Before Christmas we found a container full of frozen water and a very frozen log. We tried our best to clean it out and make it a bit better until the owner could replace it. We were able to sign the log on the edge of the frozen notebook. So we got our smiley on that one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frozen in for the winter.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	One solid cache.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A really solid log.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	340  

Thumbs up Cross Topics

I ran into a cache last winter up at Colby that was completely frozen in. The ice was about 6 inches deep and clear as could be. I could see the cache, and even put my hand about 3 inches from it. I did not have the right tools to chip it out. (Like a jackhammer) If you find a cache frozen in like this, do you claim it. I did, my logic being that I found the cache, could see it, could tell where it is, I just couldn't touch it. About 1 month later the SandHillDon found the cache and put my geoname in the log for me. For Micros in a more accessable location, I would probably wait and sign them on a cache run.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Smile Winter Caches

I bring a torch, a chainsaw and a rotohammer. As my dad would say "Come big, or stay home!"

Last winter was my first winter caching and Di and I went for all caches, regardless of whether they were listed as winter friendly. There was some memorable poking and I know of two caches that were inadvertently damaged in the process. In response to the inquiry as whether to log a cache you find but is frozen solid, it's an individual decision but certainly an argument can be made that it's better to log the find rather then destroy the cache trying to get into it.

I have 4 Pelican cases to put out. If you're not familiar with them, Pelican makes the best cases, period. I have one for my camera lenses and about a dozen for my best rifles. They're expensive but these will last. I have three out right now and because the cases are air-tight when closed, the contents will stay dry as well and you won't get logs telling you maintenance is needed. If you're thinking of putting out winter caches and can make the investment, Groundspeak has these for sale. Camo one of these and hang it from something and you'll have a winter cache that will last!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Do a multi cache and leave a stick of Dyno-mite in stage one to blast stage two free.

Where the hell is that thing?