vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Cache Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Sheesh We violate these guidelines occasionally - but we always "lay hands" on every cache we log.

This was one of the reason for my post yesterday about cache maintenance. We found a couple of log books that were so wet and soft that we couldn't possible sign them. I think cases like these should be an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh We violate these guidelines occasionally - but we always "lay hands" on every cache we log.

This was one of the reason for my post yesterday about cache maintenance. We found a couple of log books that were so wet and soft that we couldn't possible sign them. I think cases like these should be an exception.
    I agree, as much of a purist as I am, it is not all black and white.
    I consider scratching my name with a non-working pen or a stick or a rock in a wet logbook signing the log. Adding a dry slip of paper with my name on it counts for me as well - if I could still open the cache. I would not consider touching a cache container a find.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

"One for the Loafers" is often buried in several feet of snow. We have, on occasion, given permission for cachers to log it as a find without signing the log book.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I would not consider touching a cache container a find.
    I've seen caches where I literally couldn't get the container open, or it was thoroughly frozen in the ice. And I remember one cache - think it was in New Hampshire - where the cache container was a glass mayonnaise jar with a metal lid. No way could I get the cover off, and I could see the log book. I was sure I'd break the jar if I twisted any harder! LOL! I'll bet you would have logged that one!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've seen caches where I literally couldn't get the container open, or it was thoroughly frozen in the ice. And I remember one cache - think it was in New Hampshire - where the cache container was a glass mayonnaise jar with a metal lid. No way could I get the cover off, and I could see the log book. I was sure I'd break the jar if I twisted any harder! LOL! I'll bet you would have logged that one!
    I'd like to be confronted with that situation to see what I would do. In my mind, I still would not log it if I did not open it. I think I would get the jar open, even if it meant breaking it. We have done several caches where Lee has tried to open it and said "If you can't open the cache, you can't log it!" Sometimes that gives her just enough adrenaline to open it. Other times, she hands it to me, and I give it all I have. I thought I would break a few of those, but they have always managed to come loose at the last minute so far!

In your case, you saw the log book - but in most cases, what if what you thought was the cache was a dummy cache? They do exist, 3 or 4 containers hidden in the general area of the real cache with a note saying" Sorry, this is not the real cache! Keep looking!". In those cases, you could be falsely logging a find on a cache.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default To log or not to log, is that the question?

Like I posted yesterday, if a log is mush and there's nothing even remotely salvagable, I extract the mess, put in a new log, sign it and move on.

If it's merely a log book that's wet, my Sharpie works fine. I would never grab a whole logbook and replace it unless the one in the cache is not readable.

And I've had a couple of e-mails from folks who found a cache of mine and couldn't get the cover off, the whole cache was frozen, etc and I've told them to log a find because they FOUND the cache and mother nature prevented them from signing. Anybody think that violates the spirit of the game?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

In your case, you saw the log book - but in most cases, what if what you thought was the cache was a dummy cache? They do exist, 3 or 4 containers hidden in the general area of the real cache with a note saying" Sorry, this is not the real cache! Keep looking!". In those cases, you could be falsely logging a find on a cache.
    No - we don't do caches with a difficulty rating of more than 3, so we would never run into those types of caches. LOL!

Sorry Brdad - we're not (comment vous dit...) "technical purists". We're honest, and I think we're comfortable in our decisions to log a cache or not. Maybe sometime when we're out caching I'll compare the "previous logs" on the PDA with the written logs, and let you know what I find! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    And I've had a couple of e-mails from folks who found a cache of mine and couldn't get the cover off, the whole cache was frozen, etc and I've told them to log a find because they FOUND the cache and mother nature prevented them from signing. Anybody think that violates the spirit of the game?
    That depends on the definition of 'spirit of the game' for both the cache finder and cache hider. I like the original idea of caching - Bring a person to a unique area, he finds the cache, logs his visit in the logbook, and puts everything back.

Caching has evolved to the point where with some caches you can't do exactly that (i.e. Earthcaches, Virtuals, Events, etc.) So there is room for the rules to bend some. While I generally accept that the validity of a find is between the cache hider and the cache owner, there are finds which are logged which I think are degrading to the sport. Logging caches your dog "placed", Logging a state park as a find by taking a picture at the gate showing the park was closed, And logging event caches multiple times for each temporary event cache you find are three examples. Again, that is my opinion, there are people who think that's the way they want to play and it should be fine.

I would not look down upon you for letting someone log your cache if they could not get it open, nor would I look down on the cacher. I would not log a find on it, however, and would not like to allow someone to log my cache that way. But I am a softy, it'd be hard to say no.

I will however, openly promote the practice of not logging a cache unless you sign the log!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Like I posted yesterday, if a log is mush and there's nothing even remotely salvagable, I extract the mess, put in a new log, sign it and move on.

If it's merely a log book that's wet, my Sharpie works fine. I would never grab a whole logbook and replace it unless the one in the cache is not readable.

No I do not. Last March I found a cache at Colby that was completely encased in the clearest ice you have ever seen. I could read the information on the sticker like it was behind a paine of glass. I did not dare chip through the ice as I was afraid that I would destroy the cache. I emailed the owner who told me to claim it. Example two: I found a destroyed cache in the Vaughn woods last summer. We found pieces of container, and pieces of the log. I cleaned it up, claimed the find and emailed the owner with the offer of mailing the remainders back. I have also replaced logs and tried to sign wet logs. As far as my caches go, it's the journey and the pleasure I take in watching people enjoy the caches and the game that is most important to me. To me, nothing much tops that, and nothing else much matters. As a side road I know I should not go down and will probably regret later.... An honest attempt is all that I have ever wanted. I think that the likelyhood of anyone just logging caches without trying is small. Plus, in the end, they are cheating themselves out of a good time, I do not consider it cheating me. I do not delete finds. I find it to be petty and vain. I find it even more petty to engage in a public tif on the posts over what should be a fun hobby. It is a little unreal that I work in an environment where I have kids with guns, bomb threats, kids with cigarette burns, girls being taken advantage of against their will and Drama, Drama, Drama. These are kids, and some of these actions are to be expected. We are adults, and we should know better. Now I am off my soapbox, feel free to break out the whips. On a much better note, it's supposed to be sunny and 55 degrees on Sunday and I'm going to fix the coords on my last placed cache (Sorry Pat and Dan!!!) and go caching!!!!!
    Last edited by fins2right; 04-09-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling Error, Sorry
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

It's a game that you play against your self. If you cheat, only you know. If someone else knows, they shouldn't care. It's not their buisiness or their problem. Only the cheater lives with it, if they consider it cheating.

CACHE LONG AND PROSPER!