vb:literal>

Thread: Mile High Club

Default Mile High Club

Ok, not really, but got your attention...

I have recently been informed of and testing out an experimental GSAK macro to determine the elevation of caches. Eventually I will incorporate it into the stats. The data for lowest elevation is skewed quite a bit, showing one cache on the Portland waterfront at -19 feet!
    So, we are going to skip the lowest elevation caches and just display All maine caches over 3000 feet. Has anyone done them all?

5183 feet Sights to Bewhole (GC93F0) by Rslyfox (5/5)
    4612 feet Rivers in Stone (GC1H66G) by Northwoods Explorer (4.5/4.5)
    3727 feet One for the Loafers Version 2.00 (GCGZ6M) by Adopted By: PJPreb (3/4.5)
    3625 feet SW East Kennebago Mt 4x4 Progressive Ride The Top! (GC1EBNT) by Katadin Goddess & Onestep (2/3.5)
    3582 feet West Mt. Kennebago (GCH3VK) by TAT (1/4)
    3579 feet Bald Mountain Micro (GCWNPH) by Dog Breath (4/4.5)
    3556 feet Mount Coe Slide (GC1H672) by Northwoods Explorer (4.5/4.5)
    3487 feet The Traveler (GC1H7BX) by Northwoods Explorer (4.5/4.5)
    3156 feet Mt. Blue View (GCWYJ6) by The Duo Plus ? (4/4)
    3139 feet A View of the Lake (A Rescue Rangers Cache) (GC149W5) by mainiac1957 (1.5/4)
    3120 feet Molechunkamunk: Aziscoos Mt. (GCXJ2Y) by paddlehikers (1/4)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

"Rivers in Stone" hasn't been logged by anyone!
    (If it had been posted earlier, Pedalchick and I would have done it the day we completed "Sights to Bewhole" this summer)

The highest elevations are also off a bit. Baxter Peak, for example, is 5267.
    5183 feet Sights to Bewhole (GC93F0) by Rslyfox (5/5).
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    The highest elevations are also off a bit. Baxter Peak, for example, is 5267.
    5183 feet Sights to Bewhole (GC93F0) by Rslyfox (5/5).
    Remember, these are the elevations at the cache site. I do not believe the posted coords for Sights to Bewhole at at the highest point of Baxter Peak? There are however, discrepancies. The hand edited elevation I use for the cache is 5252. I got this figure from Google Earth.

The difference between the data for the highest compared to the lowest points is that there is enough variation between the figures in the high points that the ordering of highest to lowest has a good chance of being somewhat accurate. On the low end, there are 141 caches listed as being at 0 feet, and 8 caches listed as being below 0. The furthest inland cache below 0 is an archived cache in Bangor that is listed at -6 - At least it is near the river.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-28-2009 at 08:36 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

What geeks you are - and I mean that affectionately!
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.