vb:literal>

Thread: Free Garmin Topo maps

Default Free Garmin Topo maps

Don't know how good they are but they are free: Check them out http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/Ne...le/sid=14.html
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

If this is just an update on the previous version of the Maine Topo map, I've found that these are pretty darm acurate.

On a side note, I have an issue sometimes with the turn by turn directions on my 60csx not using roads that would fall under shortest time or distance. For example, if I travel from State Street in Brewer to work (Unicel on Union street Bangor) I usually take 395 and take the Odlin road to cut through and come out the airport entrance. The GPS doesn't recognize that road for routing. It would rather have me get back on 95 and take the Union street exit. The whole time I'm driving down Odlin road, it will read "Calculating...." Maybe there's a setting I'm missing?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I didn't think TOPO could do routing maybe that's why it is messed up. Just a thought.

I have downloaded & installed. Now how do I view the topo maps?

I guess that would make sense now that I think about it. I just would have figured that because the roads were there and pretty acurate, the gps would know to use them. Oh well. I don't use turn by turn enought to spend money on street maps or an auto GPS.

To view the topo elevation contours, you just need to zoom in far enough to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post
    I have downloaded & installed. Now how do I view the topo maps?
    Sorry Sue but I can't help you there. I have heard of downloading them to Mapsource though and you can view them there. Wish I could be more help.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    On a side note, I have an issue sometimes with the turn by turn directions on my 60csx not using roads that would fall under shortest time or distance. For example, if I travel from State Street in Brewer to work (Unicel on Union street Bangor) I usually take 395 and take the Odlin road to cut through and come out the airport entrance. The GPS doesn't recognize that road for routing. It would rather have me get back on 95 and take the Union street exit. The whole time I'm driving down Odlin road, it will read "Calculating...." Maybe there's a setting I'm missing?
    You can set it for shortest time or shortest distance - which you seem to know.

If you disagree with what Garmin says, I've learned from experience to TRUST GARMIN! LOL!

Does your GPS have settings for Auto vs Bicycle vs Pedestrian? Mine does and boy does it mess up on the roads when setting is off

I have this set to Auto. Maybe if I set it to bicycle things would be different but I doubt it. I am willing to bet that Haffy is correct in that Topo maps aren't really for street nav.